Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JETS biggest issue ... By far ... LB

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    OL depth is still a need don't think we have a BU T but that is not a bigger need IMO. That is something they can find on the waver wire. Last night was not the same top 5 OL we have seen over the last few years. Mangold played bad in this game he was obviously tired and lagging from his flight from London still. He didn't get any rest because he was in practice when he got back then was right back on a plane for the game. DBick looked bad which is not his norm. He really has no excuse but we know he is better then that. Howard looked OK I guess thought he blew more assignments then anyone but some here say he played good. Don't really have high expectations for him.

The starting Gs didn't look bad they just couldn't do much with the ends and Mangold struggling. 1st pre the sloppy fat OL who just got back in shape usually does have some issues. OLs are not known for looking good in preseason. Both Moore and Slauson where banged up last year so likely both are still working out some kinks. A few missed assignments but nothing overly bad. Hunter and Landolt where both injured which didn't help. Kroul should just be cut now as well as Koloto, Heyer, and Campbell. Vlad actually made some good blocks though. I am OK with him as a BU G. All the talk of how bad he is Vlad was actually the bright spot IMO. Celeb shrugged but I wondered why they had him at G and not C where he spent most of camp.
    Agree on Vlad..I did see Caleb at C late in the game..

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Agree on Vlad..I did see Caleb at C late in the game..
    I might have turned off by then last I saw was Campbell standing there watching McElroy getting mowed over.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    We also all need to root for Dowtin to stay healthy and see if he can show anything to make the 53 man roster so he can also help in coverage / STs.

And Sapp to get/stay healthy.
    I thought Dotwin looked pretty darn good last night! I was impressed by him and Davis. I loved Coples! I also saw Antonio Allen flying around back there.

The main reason I wanted Ingram in the draft was because I thought the LB needed a young fast 3 down player. That being said we are saddled with pace and Scott until they are replaced next year, the jets should evaluate their defensive front and decide if we are going to remain a 3-4 base D or commit to the 4-3 and try to add an elite edge rusher to create a natural pass rush. Demario Davis would make a good 4-3 OLB with his speed and coverage ability

Fix the uniforms first, then find a starting QB that can complete more than 60% of his passes and we'd be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    Fix the uniforms first, then find a starting QB that can complete more than 60% of his passes and we'd be golden.
    I do like the army green though ! The two tone has to go.

The weakness at LB is diluted because of the defensive talent around them.

The weakness at OL is magnified because of our QB/RB situation.

Don't see how the priorities are even close . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Demario Davis will be the answer to backs catching out of the backfield.

His speed will counteract that.
    But that won't happen with Bart Scott on the field, unless Harris sits. Maybe Davis ends up outside a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    You'd be right. OLB has always been my biggest concern. Pace is just done. I really do not expect him to make the team. Thomas OK I think he will look better then he did last night but is still average at best. He is also the only one in the group with any cover ability. People seem to like Maybin but for a 3rd down OLB he lacks a lot of basic abilities. It is the only spot I see no real talent at. I can actually see us using our BU S as OLBs at some point. No clue why we didn't at least sign a 1 year patch for OLB. Nearest I can tell they are waiting to see who Baltimore cuts.
    "Pace isn't going to make the team"....where do you guys come up with this stuff? Do you even know how much dead money we would have if we cut pace? Its beyond ridiculous.

As for actual play, first off, Pace doesn't cover anyone, he plays the "suggs" role in Rex's defense where he often puts a hand on the ground and plays a hybrid DE. Secondly, he is strong enough to actually set the edge and play the run, which maybin is not ready to do yet. In all, we need him. He may not be worth his salary, but he is far from a waivable player and will be a solid, yet not spectacular contributor in 2012 as he is every year.

Bart is a different story....if we didn't guarantee his deal last year, he would be gone no doubt. He should be a good contributor in the goal line defense, and hopefully bring some leadership, but he is a HUGE liability at this point. The issue here is Rex, and this could actually turn out to be a blessing for the team and for Rex as a coach. Being loyal and a "players coach" is great, and him and Bart are very close, but Rex needs to see that the TEAM is better off with Davis being on the field. Even if davis makes rookie mistakes, his speed/youth/athletcism can make up for whatever Bart brings in experience.

BT is an excellent run defender and will be here for this season...and it will be his last.

As for maybin....he struggled a lot at OLB last night. He failed to set the edge and also doesn't have enough experience to drop into coverage YET. He also badly over pursued on one run, and allowed a big gain off a cutback where he should have been in perfect position to stop the back for a loss. Fortunately for us (and this is why the pace being waived comment is so absurd) he doesn't need to play OLB this year. He needs to be a situational pass rusher and play in a few other packages while he gets another year of learning under his belt at OLB and hopefully can develop the skills and additional strength to be a full time starter in 2013.

Pace, Bart and BT will be gone next year and Davis, Maybin, and sapp/dowtin/unknown will be the group....but for now, we need to be situational with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    "Pace isn't going to make the team"....where do you guys come up with this stuff? Do you even know how much dead money we would have if we cut pace? Its beyond ridiculous.

As for actual play, first off, Pace doesn't cover anyone, he plays the "suggs" role in Rex's defense where he often puts a hand on the ground and plays a hybrid DE. Secondly, he is strong enough to actually set the edge and play the run, which maybin is not ready to do yet. In all, we need him. He may not be worth his salary, but he is far from a waivable player and will be a solid, yet not spectacular contributor in 2012 as he is every year.

Bart is a different story....if we didn't guarantee his deal last year, he would be gone no doubt. He should be a good contributor in the goal line defense, and hopefully bring some leadership, but he is a HUGE liability at this point. The issue here is Rex, and this could actually turn out to be a blessing for the team and for Rex as a coach. Being loyal and a "players coach" is great, and him and Bart are very close, but Rex needs to see that the TEAM is better off with Davis being on the field. Even if davis makes rookie mistakes, his speed/youth/athletcism can make up for whatever Bart brings in experience.

BT is an excellent run defender and will be here for this season...and it will be his last.

As for maybin....he struggled a lot at OLB last night. He failed to set the edge and also doesn't have enough experience to drop into coverage YET. He also badly over pursued on one run, and allowed a big gain off a cutback where he should have been in perfect position to stop the back for a loss. Fortunately for us (and this is why the pace being waived comment is so absurd) he doesn't need to play OLB this year. He needs to be a situational pass rusher and play in a few other packages while he gets another year of learning under his belt at OLB and hopefully can develop the skills and additional strength to be a full time starter in 2013.

Pace, Bart and BT will be gone next year and Davis, Maybin, and sapp/dowtin/unknown will be the group....but for now, we need to be situational with everyone.
    It is dead money if he plays or not. There is no point in keeping a guy just because he is already paid. Open the spot bring in younger talent. We save 4 mil more next year if we drop him now so it is worth it IMO. Look at the numbers. If he can't be a starter it doesn't make sense to keep him on the roster. Same with Scott. We can cut both and still not be in bad shape. As much as people don't want to here it that is truth. Either way that money is already dead if we keep them or not.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL

Our OL is dogsh*t and we don't have a single reliable receiver outside of Holmes, who is banged up...yet your biggest gripe is with our LB's?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Pace , Scott, Thomas

They looked like 90 year old men chasing kids around. I never thought it was possible for these guy to actually look slower than last year.

I think I was wrong.
    I'm with you.

The OL has one player that off of last season we want replaced.

The LBs have 3 that need to be replaced.

I can do that math.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    I'm with you.

The OL has one player that off of last season we want replaced.

The LBs have 3 that need to be replaced.

I can do that math.
    Really?

The Jets have a load of young LB'er talent on the roster right now, almost all of whom have shown flashes of being solid players:

Demario Davis
    Damario Ambrose
    Nick Bellore
    Josh Mauga
    Aaron Maybin
    Garrett McIntyre
    Ricky Sapp
    Marcus Dowtin

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/roster.html

I don't know what the hell you guys complaining about LB'er are thinking about. LB'er is probably one of the deepest positions on the team right now.

Dunnie, maybe you should change your name to "Don'tknow".......LOL.

O-Line is at the top of the worry list for the Jets right now and it's not even close.

As far as WR goes, 2 of our 3 starting WR's (Holmes & Kerley) have had some nagging injuries and weren't on the field Friday night, when they come back, WR should not be an issue in my opinion.

Holmes, Kerley, Hill, Turner, Schillens - plug in White if Schillens goes down to injury, Keller, Cumberland & J.Baker at TE should be a more then capable group.....
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-12-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Veteran
    There is no way they could be as slow as that final year of Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones' career. Add in Sam Cowart and that was one of the slowest LB groups in NFL history. "Slow, Slower, and Not at all" was their nickname in my family.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    There is no way they could be as slow as that final year of Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones' career. Add in Sam Cowart and that was one of the slowest LB groups in NFL history. "Slow, Slower, and Not at all" was their nickname in my family.
    LOL, I remember that vividly....

Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    Haajahaaha ... I remember that year too ... And THAT IS what it reminded me of. Scott was in trail position ... by like 5 yards most of the night!

The issue with LB isn't lack of talent, it's the presence of 2 high priced guys past their prime blocking the way for others to get their chance.

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    The issue with LB isn't lack of talent, it's the presence of 2 high priced guys past their prime blocking the way for others to get their chance.
    You really think,so ? I don't know if we have viable starting talent behind them.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    That's exactly right, finally someone who gets it....

This message is hidden because Dunnie is on your ignore list
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-12-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Whoa ... I can't believe I made it to an ignore list