Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: What I Learned from the game last night

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

What I Learned from the game last night

Not a whole helluva lot, but that's to be expected for the 1st preseason game. I really didn't expect to see much from the skill positions, and that includes both of the QBs. What I did see was some "game-within-the-game" stuff that was cause for concern and encouragement.

Offense

I felt the OL play was, like many have said, below par. The one area I would expect to see that early on would be the running game as A) it is a new blocking scheme and B) you want to keep things vanilla. But the pass-blocking should have been better. There were clearly some assignment issues, so hopefully that will hash itself out in time. More concerning is that the Jets still can't protect the QB with a max-protect TE play.

The running game did have its moments and I thought Greene picked his holes well. The pulling by the OGs is lacking, neither Slauson nor Moore look good getting to the edge. Keller whiffed badly on one or two blocks as well.

Defense

I concentrated mainly on the front 7, so I have nothing really to offer on the play of the DBs. Wilkerson looks really, really good. He consistently was stout against his blocks, stringing the blocker along the play and shedding when necessary. Coach Dunbar will make Wilkerson a star I think. Devito and Dixon were their usual high-energy selves, so that's good. I kind of had a hard time finding Ellis at times, but by all accounts he did pretty well. I felt Coples showed a lot, and I say that as someone who wasn't a fan of the pick. To me he looked to be playing more hesitant than lazy. It will be interesting to see how that changes over the course of the preseason now that he has received some live action.

The LBs are still too slow, but BT was pretty stout on the edge. Pace moves about as well as a dining room table. Scott looked pretty good and may be the fastest starter now! The one play where the RB caught the pass wasn't all on him, Harris was too close to the line which allowed for a very large window for the QB to throw into. Scott was with his man step for step, which isn't too bad for a LB vs a RB.

Sorry for the DWC-esque post. But we're Talking Football!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I learned Sparano has already begun to put on the weight he lost a few years back. Mounting pressure? Knows offense is a joke?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I learned Sparano has already begun to put on the weight he lost a few years back. Mounting pressure? Knows offense is a joke?
    Hmmm. Well he's clearly not being pressured by Rex, so maybe it's just being back home? I gotta imagine it's nice for him to be able to order some decent Italian food with real sauce as opposed to watered-down ketchup.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Not a whole helluva lot, but that's to be expected for the 1st preseason game. I really didn't expect to see much from the skill positions, and that includes both of the QBs. What I did see was some "game-within-the-game" stuff that was cause for concern and encouragement.

Offense

I felt the OL play was, like many have said, below par. The one area I would expect to see that early on would be the running game as A) it is a new blocking scheme and B) you want to keep things vanilla. But the pass-blocking should have been better. There were clearly some assignment issues, so hopefully that will hash itself out in time. More concerning is that the Jets still can't protect the QB with a max-protect TE play.

The running game did have its moments and I thought Greene picked his holes well. The pulling by the OGs is lacking, neither Slauson nor Moore look good getting to the edge. Keller whiffed badly on one or two blocks as well.

Defense

I concentrated mainly on the front 7, so I have nothing really to offer on the play of the DBs. Wilkerson looks really, really good. He consistently was stout against his blocks, stringing the blocker along the play and shedding when necessary. Coach Dunbar will make Wilkerson a star I think. Devito and Dixon were their usual high-energy selves, so that's good. I kind of had a hard time finding Ellis at times, but by all accounts he did pretty well. I felt Coples showed a lot, and I say that as someone who wasn't a fan of the pick. To me he looked to be playing more hesitant than lazy. It will be interesting to see how that changes over the course of the preseason now that he has received some live action.

The LBs are still too slow, but BT was pretty stout on the edge. Pace moves about as well as a dining room table. Scott looked pretty good and may be the fastest starter now! The one play where the RB caught the pass wasn't all on him, Harris was too close to the line which allowed for a very large window for the QB to throw into. Scott was with his man step for step, which isn't too bad for a LB vs a RB.

Nice insight, thanks ... DWC would be proud

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm. Well he's clearly not being pressured by Rex, so maybe it's just being back home? I gotta imagine it's nice for him to be able to order some decent Italian food with real sauce as opposed to watered-down ketchup.
    What, no Guineas in Florida?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I learned 2 things.
    We still can't pass protect or pass rush.

Can't stay on or get off the field on 3rd downs.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I learned that only three things in life are constant:

1. Death

2. Taxes

3. Jets Fans emo premptive over-reaction and hysteria.

Not aimed at you OP, just speaking generally.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Offense

Defense

Great post and fair analysis. We need more beef on the O line. I'm sorry but Slauson is in for the injured Hunter? That sentence kept nagging at me, maybe Greg Buttle saying it 50 times during the first series is stuck in my head too,

I thought the defense played well overall, a few whiffs here & there and I hope Eric Smith is OK, he got twisted up ike a pretzel. ST has a lot of film to watch this week too. I think Westhoff being out for OTA's is showing, but he'll get it back.

Even with sacks, fumbles, whiffs and punt return gifts to the opponent, good opportunity to get the rust out & playing at home against the current SB champs next week should be an interesting watch for adjustments. (-;

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chops44 View Post
    I learned 2 things.
    We still can't pass protect or pass rush.

Can't stay on or get off the field on 3rd downs.
    And it's often at 3&5 or 3&6.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I learned that half of the guys making mistakes for both teams are the same guys who will be working at UPS in September.