Thread: What did you see last night?

What did you see last night?

Love everyones perspective on the game. I know it's the first pre season game with a vanilla O. I don't care who starts as long as they give us a chance to win. This is not a dome and gloom rant and everyones opinion has merit. What did you see? Be honest....

This is what I saw at every level during the entire game.

The o lineman are a lot worse than I thought. It did not matter who was in there from the ones to the threes, they all could not block. Sanchez, Tebow and McElroy were running for their lives. This will end the season before it starts. If you can't give the qb any protection, bottom line you will not win.

Running backs looked too slow. We still don't have a legit back with any break away speed. McNight look quick for a couple of runs, but is not the answer.

The receivers were not getting open again, zero separation from the ones. Last season we blamed Sh!tty, now who is to blame? Keller was a no show and will not be a factor this season. He will be gone after this season. I base this on his performances over the last few seasons, usually a non factor by week 6.

The d line is what everyone is raving about. They still could not pressure the qb without sending 6-7 players. When the send all those players they are all usually on one side and get clogged up and still get no pressure. Couples was dominant against backups and was ok against the starters. He should improve.

The linebackers are still too slow. Pace, Thomas, Scott and Harris could not cover anything. Sorry to say that getting leaner has not made the quicker, these guys were never quick to start with. New England and every team with solid Tight Ends will eat us alive.

Db's look bad. Revis was beat in the endzone, but the pass was dropped. Watched the ones and I'm still amazed that they always give way too much cushion and still look like they are chasing receivers. Example the 3rd and 17, they gave up the first down because they refuse to cover. The holding penalty saved them on this one. But the story remains the same. The ones are still giving up big plays like last season.

Being the first game and usually every team goes through this kind of stuff. These are the deficiencies that killed the Jets last season. These are the things that I hope will improve and be corrected by week one of the season or it's going to be a long one. I hope that Ryan and company can fix this. If not then there is a possibility that they just can't do it and will need to be sent packing.

I hope to see improvement in the next game.

Veteran
    I saw the beginning of Rex Ryan's last season.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigGreen View Post
    I saw the beginning of Rex Ryan's last season.
    # of current NFL coaches with a better record than Rex Ryan: 8

All League
    I saw an offense with no talent at the skill positions fronted by an inadequate OL.

Veteran
    I saw the 1st PRESEASON game of the year.

coples made some plays

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    coples made some plays
    True ... But remember Blair Thomas' 1st preseason game ?

All League
    I saw last season all wrapped up into one game.

I'm willing to wait and watch some more games to see how much better they get.

I think they will play better next week and still lose. The Giants are a better team than the Jets, even in preseason.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Love everyones perspective on the game. I know it's the first pre season game with a vanilla O. I don't care who starts as long as they give us a chance to win. This is not a dome and gloom rant and everyones opinion has merit. What did you see? Be honest....

The o lineman are a lot worse than I thought. It did not matter who was in there from the ones to the threes, they all could not block. Sanchez, Tebow and McElroy were running for their lives. This will end the season before it starts. If you can't give the qb any protection, bottom line you will not win.

Running backs looked too slow. We still don't have a legit back with any break away speed. McNight look quick for a couple of runs, but is not the answer.

The receivers were not getting open again, zero separation from the ones. Last season we blamed Sh!tty, now who is to blame? Keller was a no show and will not be a factor this season. He will be gone after this season. I base this on his performances over the last few seasons, usually a non factor by week 6.

The d line is what everyone is raving about. They still could not pressure the qb without sending 6-7 players. When the send all those players they are all usually on one side and get clogged up and still get no pressure. Couples was dominant against backups and was ok against the starters. He should improve.

The linebackers are still too slow. Pace, Thomas, Scott and Harris could not cover anything. Sorry to say that getting leaner has not made the quicker, these guys were never quick to start with. New England and every team with solid Tight Ends will eat us alive.

Db's look bad. Revis was beat in the endzone, but the pass was dropped. Watched the ones and I'm still amazed that they always give way too much cushion and still look like they are chasing receivers. Example the 3rd and 17, they gave up the first down because they refuse to cover. The holding penalty saved them on this one. But the story remains the same. The ones are still giving up big plays like last season.

Being the first game and usually every team goes through this kind of stuff. These are the deficiencies that killed the Jets last season. These are the things that I hope will improve and be corrected by week one of the season or it's going to be a long one. I hope that Ryan and company can fix this. If not then there is a possibility that they just can't do it and will need to be sent packing.

It's not a doom and gloom rant?

Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post

you're not a doom and gloomer but every part of the team sucks. interesting take.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    # of current NFL coaches with a better record than Rex Ryan: 8

Include playoff games and it will be higher. If you count the record of coaches in their first three years I'll bet it's even higher all time.

Shades of 2011: Oline getting Sanchez killed, 3&Out's, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    you're not a doom and gloomer but every part of the team sucks. interesting take.
    he's just being objective and realistic.

get with the program.

Mark Sanchez looks scared. I don't blame him one bit. Hell if I had to line up behind that line of garbage, I would be scared too. I mean it is so obvious how to 3 & out the jet offense. Line up 6-7 guys at the los and blitz on every down. Tebow could escape because of his size and he is more elusive than Mark is, and played against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Unless something remarkable happens, this is a 4-12 team. I am not baseing this on preseason game#1, I am, however, baseing this on the fact that this roster is inadequate. Who on this roster scares anyone? I wish I could be a fly on the wall in NE preparing, (um I mean taking a week off) before playing the Jet offense LOL. 4-12, best 7-9 IMO.

The offense is completely out of sync right now. No offensive rhythm whatsoever. A lot of that is likely do to the OL. Every time it looked like Sanchez might be getting something going he would get sacked and it would ruin any sort of rhythm as a result. Sparano has his work cut out for him.

Defense played well. Saw a lot of contributions from young players and that's a great thing. It appears they have the perfect personnel to play a 4-3 base. Not really surprised by this though. Did anyone really think the defense would slip this season? I certainly don't. It looks like they may have found a pass rush also and that is great news.

This season will hinge on great defense and the running game. Which is really no different than any other season Rex has been in town.

Jets Insider VIP
    he never said he wasn't a doom and gloomer

only that he wasn't a dome and gloomer