Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Get off the ledge...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty apt.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ins...eason-g,21211/

BRISTOL, CTóBasing his argument on an entirely meaningless preseason game between the Chicago Bears and the New York Giants, a deranged idiot came to a completely ****ing stupid conclusion Tuesday about the whole 2011 NFL season, sources confirmed.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    the pic of Tedy Bruschi as the deranged idiot is quite accurate and apropos

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post

giantdan is going to be mad.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    I'm no homer, this team has flaws but here are somethings that might get you through the day for you fans biting your nails like angsty acne-scarred teenage girls waiting to get asked to prom

Reasons you should step away from the ledge:

The OL learning new blocking assignments, give them more than 1 quarter of live play (THAT DOESN'T COUNT) to get it right.

Starting RT (As bad as he was last year) was not starting

Starting RG/C missed time in training camp, so they're playing catch up

Bengals defense should have known pretty much every single play that was coming, as the Sparano said explicitly, this would be vanilla. That means running out of runs sets, and passing out of pass sets.

The "chunk yardage plays" off of our 1st defense were on underneath plays, which in all likelihood were not schemed for specifically as, well, none of it was schemed.

It's the first ****ing game of the preseason, chill out.

Reasons you should stay on the ledge or jump:

You enjoy looking down great distances
    What are you doing? Let them jump.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    the pic of Tedy Bruschi as the deranged idiot is quite accurate and apropos
    Thats Schereth

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Thats Schereth
    my bad -- hard to tell the morons apart

Meanwhile

Watching the Panthers-Texans game on NFLN. Cam Newton was only able to get the Panthers a FG in the first quarter

CUT THE BUM

THEY ARE DOOMED

SIGN BEASTS

FIRE RIVERA AND THE GM

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Thats Schereth
    Who looks just like Mark Schlereth.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    For me, the only optimistic signs are on the defensive side. Which is always has been this teams strength. Not that I'm not excited about those guys but i'm dying to see the offense get better, in ANY way. And we've yet to seen that.

I think we're just desperate to see any signs of life on offense and give the defense a break from time to time. Season can't come soon enough!
    I don't necessarily disagree, but in my mind, I see some of the things on offense right now as more of questions than concerns at this point. I'm not sure last night is a true barometer of how things the offense will look this year.

It was hard to really judge Sanchez too much last night, because of the protection issues, missing WR's, and vanilla play calling, but one play stood out to me with Mark. I believe the play ended up in an incomplete, but it may have been Turner's diving catch, can't remember, but anyway, Sanchez was pressured on his right, he stepped up in the pocket, shuffled his feet for a split second, reset his feet, and stepped into the throw and threw a dart. I had never really seen that from Sanchez before. In prior years, when Sanchez was pressured, his mechanics would go to hell, and he'd make throws kind of falling the opposite way of the pressure, and generally lead to innacurrate throws. This was encouraging because it showed some pocket awareness and calm back there, to gather himself after a near sack, and step into the throw as if the pocket was clean the whole time. This is what good QB's do, they can slide around the pocket to avoid pressure and immediately get back to a solid base and not lose their mechanics. I hope that continues from Mark. Other than that play, I couldn't gauge much.

The running game was pretty much non existant, and I think a lot of it has to do with the OL. We all know what we can expect from Greene I think, but without solid blocking up front, the ground game suffered. I think if the line gets it together, Greene is more than capable. Spectacular? No, but we can win with Greene as the main back, in my opinion.

Obviously the WR's were hard to gauge, because 2 of our top 3 WR's didn't play. I will say that Patrick Turner is more than adequate as a 4th WR option, but the question is will Holmes, Hill and Kerley be adequate as 1-3. Some people are convinced they will not be. I'll wait until they are all on the field together before I make a conclusion on that.

The OL right now is far and away my biggest concern on offense. I was really expecting to see an improvement last night from last year, and it wasn't there. Obviously they were without a starter, but the starter was Hunter, so I was expecting the unit to play much better last night. Is it the talent? Is it adjusting to a new scheme? I don't know, I hope it's just some growing pains, but we definietly need some OL members to step up their level of play.

As far as defense goes, I don't see any reason why this defense can't be right there with the Niners and Ravens this year. The saftey position will be improved, if healthy, and we know what we have at corner. I think DL will be better than last year, which is saying something, because they weren't a bad unit by any stretch last season. Obviously Coples played a very strong game, but I was pretty impressed with Ellis too. We will have a nice rotation available along the front line.

My biggest concerns(and in the grand scheme of things, they aren't that big) is that our blitz packages may be getting a little stale and ineffective. Just to the eye, when the Jets blitz, it seems like a muddle of bodies shoved in a 2 yard box. There are no open lanes, and it just ends up being a pile of bodies. Obviously they are probably more complex than that, but the end results looks like that a lot of the time. I also worry that sometimes we are too predictable on 3rd down situations, and our blitzes don't work as often as we'd like, because other teams know it's coming every 3rd down. I'd like to see them play coverage every once in a while, maybe throw in some zone every blue moon too.

The only other concern on defense I have is will Rex be loyal to some vets to the point of concern. Bart Scott covering the law firm last night was disgusting, and I hope that he is never in that situation again. That's why we drafted Davis, so I hope once he is back in the swing of things after his injury, he's out there in those positions instead of Scott. I still love Scott against the run though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Meanwhile

Watching the Panthers-Texans game on NFLN. Cam Newton was only able to get the Panthers a FG in the first quarter

CUT THE BUM

THEY ARE DOOMED

SIGN BEASTS

FIRE RIVERA AND THE GM
    Exactly, we have some real doomsdayers around here, lol

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Got me missed an L, Fvck all the espn dudes

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I missed the game last night but recorded it. I logged on this morning for a quick synopsis of what happened and needless to say I got the impression things did not go well with the OL. Having now watched the game and re-checking here I'm glad to see people coming to their senses a little bit. What I saw was mostly mental mistakes and missed assignments which can be corrected. These guys are learning a new system and a completely different blocking scheme. Guys like Mangold and Brick did not suddenly forget how to play football. We have 3 former pro bowl players on this line. We all have vastly different professions, but just imagine if at your job things changed such as terminology, part numbers, filing systems, supervisors, or anything which takes you out of your normal thought process, etc. We would all have the occasional "brain fart". I am going to give these guys a little time before judging. I am constantly asked about the Jets and specifically Tebow even by total strangers when they see my tattoo and my answer is always the same, "we'll see". I think we should wait until the 2012 season actually starts before we etch it into Jets folklore.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Meanwhile

CUT THE BUM

THEY ARE DOOMED

SIGN BEASTS

FIRE RIVERA AND THE GM
    LOL BURN THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously people have to put away the torches and pichforks

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    JI moments after the first preseason game...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Who looks like Stink

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    A number of topics could easily be merged under this thread. Pre-season doesn't mean much let alone the first one. Teams approach the PS differently than others so you have to view them accordingly. It looked to me that the Bengals blitzes caused the majority of the sacks. The defense other than the Bart Scott error and Revis getting beat in the end zone was ok. Do any of you believe Maybin will be this quiet during the regular season?

Lets see if any of these things repeat themselves in the next two pre-season games before you sell your tickets on the exchange.

JMO

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    JI moments after the first series in the first preseason game...
    fixed

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    fixed
    Lol that's true!!! Thank you for fixing that! Lol

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tedtedthefootballhead View Post
    It's just remarkable how the 1st half play yesterday resembled most of last seasons games.

Coincidence?

No connection?

We will see.

Giants are gonna kill us LOL.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Giants are going to kill us? are you aware that this is week one of the pre season...our ones gave up 3 points....some of you are amazing....its friggin week one of the pre season....oh well. lol
    Yes I know exactly what week it is.

I've been watching the Jets for 40 years. Sure every year is different. In my 40 years, most years are the same. I don't wear green glasses but I always think they're better then they really are.

You'll see. Giants are gonna kill us. 1's, 2's or 3's....won't matter.

28-10
    ^
    |
    |
    |
    |
    Told ya so...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^
    |
    |
    |
    |
    Told ya so...
    Honestly, a few penalties aren't made and the game is 0-0 for a lot longer than it was. No excuses, they played terribly, but don't make it seem like the Giants ran the ball down our throats.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it time to get back on the ledge?