Thread: New writer Jimmy Kempski NJ.com

Veteran

New writer Jimmy Kempski NJ.com

Not sure if any one has read this new guy on NJ.com.

I have to say he sounds a lot like our own Bitonti

Jets links: Quinton Coples dominates, Bart Scott struggles
    Published: Saturday, August 11, 2012, 11:55 AM Updated: Saturday, August 11, 2012, 12:00 PM
    Jimmy Kempski, NJ.com

Rex Ryan said that DE Quinton Coples had a "tremendous game," per Jenny Vrentas of the Star-Ledger. I agree. Here are the notable plays Coples made last night:

On one series, he had a tackle on first down, and a batted pass ended a drive on 3rd down. Batted passes are becoming a point of emphasis around the league. From the Super Bowl last year, there is audio from the sidelines of Tom Brady saying that throwing through the Giants' DL is like throwing through a forest. Batted passes lead to interceptions, and if you can get your hands up, it messes up the QB's throwing lane. Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine will be happy with that series.
    Later had a tackle for a loss of 3 yards. That turned a favorable 2nd and 3 into a much more difficult 3rd and 6.
    He had a stop for no gain on a 1st down play.
    On a pass rush he beat G Clint Boling badly to the inside, and and drew a holding call on C Reggie Stephen, who had no choice but to drag him down so his QB wouldn't get killed. A 3rd and 16 (that the Bengals converted on the play) became a 3rd and 26, and knocked the Bengals out of FG range. That play saved at least 3 points, and maybe 7.
    Sack / forced fumble near the end of the game.

Monster game. There aren't a lot of bigtime, play-making 3-4 defensive ends in the NFL. The 49ers' Justin Smith and the Cardinals' Calais Campbell both come to mind, as does up and comer J.J. Watt in Houston. Coples was an enormous talent in college at North Carolina who fell in the draft because of concerns that he could become lazy at times during games. At the Senior Bowl, I watched him beating interior offensive linemen in pass protection drills with ease. The Jets should look to try to get one-on-one match-ups with Coples on OGs early and often. If he can play with the same level of intensity that he showed last night, the Jets could very well have an absolute steal on their hands.

ESPN's Rich Cimini noted his "three up, three down" for the Jets first preseason game. Quinton Coples makes an obvious appearance in Rich's "three up" section. He also has Bart Scott and Calvin Pace among his "three down" section. I thought Bart Scott in particular really struggled covering BenJarvis Green-Ellis. He looked slow. Green-Ellis is not a burner by any measure, but he was able to get a step and a half on Scott. Teams are going to try to get Scott matched up on RBs all season.

CBS' Len Pasquarelli thinks the Jets are concerned about the depth at RB behind Shonn Greene. He notes that Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight both struggle in pass protection. That may very well be the case, but I liked what I saw out of Powell last night in pass protection. On Mark Sanchezís first series, Bilal Powell did a nice job picking up a blitz. He stoned Thomas Howard cold right in the hole, but Ray Maualuga came in right behind Howard and picked up the sack. Well designed blitz. The TV commentator put the fault for that play on Powell, but he can't block them both. Then later, Powell was one-on-one on DE Jamaal Anderson. Jamaal Anderson goes 6'6, 280. Powell goes 5'10, 204. Thatís a matchup that should favor the Bengals every time, but Powell did a nice job on Anderson, allowing Sanchez to step up and run for a first down. I also thought McKnight did some nice things as well, showing nice elusiveness and pass catching skills.

TheJetsBlog.com opined on their immediate reaction after last night's game. One player they singled out for having some struggles was Isaiah Trufant. Again, I agree. The Bengals twice threw high on 5í8 Trufant. The first time was on 3rd down. Perfect throw, good catch, and Trufant actually had good coverage, but he simply couldnít reach the pass. Then later, the Bengals connected on a big play down the sidelines to Marvin Jones for 45 yards on a high pass. Trufant got tangled up with Jonesí feet on that one, and fell. But to me, it looked like the Bengals were purposely picking on Trufant's lack of height.

Gang Green Nation made some observation as well on the first preseason game. I agree on most of what they're saying, except for the offensive line having a bad game. I thought the OL, and we're talking about the starters only here, played well. On one sack of Mark Sanchez, the Bengals sent more rushers to one side than the Jets could block, and they sent a total of 6 on the play. As noted above, on that play, Bilal Powell even did a good job picking up the first blitzing LB. Mark Sanchez had one-on-one matchups all across the field. He has to do a better job getting the ball out sooner. On another sack of Sanchez, Manny Lawson smoked Jeff Cumberland on a speed rush. It should be difficult for a DE to get around the edge on the strong side of a passing formation when a TE stays in to block, but Lawson got around the edge with ease. That's on the TE, not on the OL.

If we go back to the first practice transcript of training camp (via TheJetsBlog.com), here is the first thing Rex Ryan said:

...on defense we have kind of the mentality that we can stop anybody running the football. And on offense we had the exact opposite mentality, that we could run the ball on anybody.

One one drive last night, after connecting on a 45 yard pass play, Bengals ran the ball 6 consecutive times (3, 5, 7, 7, 5, 1TD). That has to kill Rex Ryan.

All League
    Writer??? This dude is doing nothing but quoting other writers.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Then he IS just like bitoni...LOL

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Ir's the media on the media ... re-blogging dude ... a modern art form !

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Teams always try and get their RBs in man wit a LB, any LB.

Love these predictions.