All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Cimini with a pro Jet article !

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    article posted so that Dick Semen-i doesn't get any extra hits

Coples enjoys big NFL debut

By Rich Cimini | Aug 11, 2012 1:53 AM

CINCINNATI -- Hold those Vernon Gholston comparisons.

After two non-descript weeks in training camp, No. 1 pick Quinton Coples busted out Friday night with an impressive performance in the Jets' 17-6 loss to the Bengals.

Coples didn't start, and he ended up playing only five of 18 snaps with the first unit, but he finished with an impressive stat line: Five tackles, one sack, one tackle-for-loss, one forced fumble and one batted pass. Oh, yes, he drew a holding penalty with a strong inside rush. He played the entire second half.

Most of his productive came against the Bengals' backups, but the Jets still had to be somewhat relieved, considering his quiet start in camp. Rex Ryan called it a "tremendous" game.

"I'm not surprised, but I'm happy to see it," he said.

Coples got some time with the starters when the Jets began to use a 4-3 front in the second quarter. By the end of the night, he had lined up in several spots along the line.

"I did very well," he said. "I don't have a grade for it, but I was very productive. I also have a lot to improve on as well."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will never understand why some fans insist that beat writers root for the team they cover.

On the other hand, those beat writers with agendas (pro or con) aren't credible.

Just write the truth without subjectivity. Most of us can handle it!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I got to see the game.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NoJokeJets View Post
    I will never understand why some fans insist that beat writers root for the team they cover.

On the other hand, those beat writers with agendas (pro or con) aren't credible.

Just write the truth without subjectivity. Most of us can handle it!
    You must not have read much of Cimini. He's a total pessimist that usually skews facts to create his articles. You don't have to root for the team you cover, but it's worse to hate them.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the end the fans always turn on the beat writer.

The majority of fans do not want objectivity ... they want a shard of hope that their wildest fantasies about their team might come true; this is primarily because their fandom of their favorite team is an escapism from a stressful everyday life.

Writers that tell it like it is ... will be devoured; better to tell the collective that there is no bogey man, the wolf doesn't get to eat little red riding hood.