Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We are not built to be a pure ground and pound team.....We just aren't

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    People laying it down on Greene need to look at Jamal Lewis stats not MJD or McCoy. He is not a fast break back that is going to average 6+ yards a run. He is a guy that will "pound" the D into the ground and wear them down. Lewis was a guy who NEEDED 15-20 touches a game to make an impact. With the exception of 2003 his stats where never great in the 1st half. Backs like that are the ones you want in a "Ground and Pound". He is the 1st half of what looks like a pretty good 1 2 punch IMO.
    Except that Greene is not a punisher. He's generally the recipient.He's slow to get up far too many times throughout a game.

Lewis was a bruising back who punished defenders. Greene is not a punisher. He was in college. But not against he big boys.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RI Jets View Post
    Our offense isn't really good at anything.
    was "our" offense the last two seasons the Denver Broncos offense??

sounds like it

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    They did the same thing last year when people brought up concerns about the O line depth and the WRs. They take a valid concern brought up by someone and turn it into a "doom and gloom, "chicken little" and "SOJ". Its like they take it personally if someone raises a valid question about the Jets. Look at what Koopa wrote in his post, is it really that off base? Based on the play of the O line last season is it really that outlandish? Its just amazing that people can not bring up a concern with out it turning into this.
    Koopa's OP was absolutely justified.

In the offseason the front office didn't get any starting caliber linemen. The draft added only a late round development OL prospect. We still have the same very average RB from last year. A starting caliber blocking TE was never added to the roster either. Our FB play has regressed in the last few years from Tony Richardson to John Conner.

Jets did get a new OC but the personnel from last year's lack-luster offense are unchanged.

Then, in the first preseason game, we see exactly the same anemic offense and poor Oline play from last season. It's as if this is game 17 from 2011.

It's no wonder that reasonable and objective Jets fans are concerned. They should be. All the evidence suggests we're going to be the same 25th ranked offense as last year (or maybe worse).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A decent article from Costello?
    Sparano: Jets won’t rely on ground

"
    On NFL teams that Sparano has been the head coach or the play-caller, there has never been a season where he has run the ball more than he has passed it.
    In Friday’s preseason-opening 17-6 loss to the Bengals, the Jets threw the ball 20 times and ran it 27. But if you look closer, there were more passes than runs called. There were five sacks and quarterbacks ran the ball five times, none by design. That means Sparano called 30 passes to 22 runs. "

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...#ixzz23LmUDpVk

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe after the second preseason game we will have a better idea of what we have. This team looked just as bad as the team from the end of last season. I don't see it getting better, but opinions are like noses and everyone has one.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    well the G&P better work cause our pass protection SUCKS, like last season's

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post

In the offseason the front office didn't get any starting caliber linemen. The draft added only a late round development OL prospect. We still have the same very average RB from last year. A starting caliber blocking TE was never added to the roster either. Our FB play has regressed in the last few years from Tony Richardson to John Conner.

Jets did get a new OC but the personnel from last year's lack-luster offense are unchanged.

Then, in the first preseason game, we see exactly the same anemic offense and poor Oline play from last season. It's as if this is game 17 from 2011.

It's no wonder that reasonable and objective Jets fans are concerned. They should be. All the evidence suggests we're going to be the same 25th ranked offense as last year (or maybe worse).
    Koopa is 100% right. I don't see what the issue is.

Last year, the OL SUCKED. This year, we bring back the SAME OL. And then we saw the pass protection in the first game. Anyone who feels good about this OL is off their rocker.

Hunter sucked last year. Moore was no good (I don't care if he made the pro bowl -- he almost got benched for Schlauderaff). Brick was mediocre, at best.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    it will be interesting to see what the Rex/Sparano brain trust come up with if #Tebow's skillzz bring more benefit to the G&P than the Sanchize air attack. Not good when your corner back thinks he's better than your #2,3 WR

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Just purely off of personnel, we will not/cannot be a ground and pound team (Think 09 Jets) and think we can control the game.....it ain't happening

We have a stable of average RBs, below average blocking tight ends, and an average O-line......I'm sorry but that does not add up to a 09 Jets-style "ground and pound" team.

I think our best chance to be a good and successful offense is just being balanced and putting all of our skill guys in position to do what they do best...... Sanchez taking a big step and letting him throw down the field a lot more will be key, Using all 3 Rbs with what they do best, and getting creative with Tebow/Spread offense when the situation calls for it......We just need to mix it up and play the hot hand (Not purely Tebow/Sanchez but playmakers as we have a lot of different guys to spread the ball around to)

We have the chance to be a pretty good offense, but my biggest fear is Rex and Sparano playing too conservatively and trying to establish the ground and pound at all costs.....We will not be successful with this strategy IMO
    Well then, I suppose it's lucky for us fans that coach Sparano has no intention of relying solely on a conservative, ground and pound approach, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Costello, NY Post
    Sparano: Jets won’t rely on ground

CORTLAND — Since the Jets hired Tony Sparano as their new offensive coordinator in January, the perception has been they basically were abandoning the forward pass.
    Coach Rex Ryan repeatedly has said he wants the team to return to its “Ground and Pound” roots, which has been interpreted as the Jets turning the football clock back to three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust.
    Sparano laughed at the notion when it was presented him last week at Jets training camp.
    “I don’t think the Jets are going to be a wing-T team, OK?” Sparano said with a smile. “But we’re going to be able to run the football, and we’re going to throw the ball well with efficiency.”

The 50-year-old coach knows his reputation is to run, run, run, but can’t quite understand it. Sparano’s first offensive coordinator job came in 1990 at Boston University. The Terriers offense? A run-and-shoot. In Sparano’s four years there, they threw the ball more than they ran it every year.
    “They set records all over the place,” Sparano said of the Boston University offense. “That’s what I grew up in. When I came into the National Football League, that’s where this whole run thing came from. At the time when I came into the National Football League, that statement was very true: You need to run the ball to win it. I still believe it, but I’m a realist. I realize that you have to throw the football. You have to advance and gain chunks.”

Sparano’s first chance to call plays in the NFL came under Bill Parcells with the Cowboys. Parcells did not believe in naming an offensive coordinator so in 2005 he made Sparano the running-game coordinator and Sean Payton the passing-game coordinator. The Cowboys threw the ball 51 percent of the time and finished eighth in the league in total offense.
    Parcells taught Sparano what it takes to win in the NFL, but Payton, now the Saints head coach, taught Sparano how to call a game.
    “Sean Payton, no question, is the best influence I’ve had,” Sparano said. “Sean is a different play-caller. He’s wide open at times. I like that philosophy. Yet, Sean is very much aware of what you have to do in this league. Everybody can look at New Orleans and look at their numbers and all that, but at the end of this whole thing they find a way to run the football. It doesn’t matter how it is, they find a way to run the football.”

When New Orleans hired Payton in 2006 he wanted to take Sparano with him to be his offensive coordinator, but Parcells blocked the move. He remained in Dallas where he became the primary play-caller. The Cowboys threw more than they ran again in 2006. The Dolphins had a higher pass percentage each full year he was the head coach from 2008-10, even when they were using the Wildcat heavily.

On NFL teams that Sparano has been the head coach or the play-caller, there has never been a season where he has run the ball more than he has passed it.
    In Friday’s preseason-opening 17-6 loss to the Bengals, the Jets threw the ball 20 times and ran it 27. But if you look closer, there were more passes than runs called. There were five sacks and quarterbacks ran the ball five times, none by design. That means Sparano called 30 passes to 22 runs.
    Sparano’s presence at Jets training camp has been huge. It is his voice, not Ryan’s, you most often hear on the practice field, yelling his trademark phrases “know, and know you know” and “run through the smoke.”

He has heard what people are saying. He knows people think Mark Sanchez’s arm is going to be covered in cobwebs.
    “I think people look at me and think. ‘Well, he was a line coach so he’s going to run the football,’ ” Sparano said. “They can think anything they want to think.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...#ixzz23LuaB7YF

EDIT- didn't see Newton had already posted this, sorry.
    Last edited by Jetworks; 08-12-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    I believe after the second preseason game we will have a better idea of what we have. This team looked just as bad as the team from the end of last season. I don't see it getting better, but opinions are like noses and everyone has one.
    the giants 1st string pass rushers are going to kill out 1st string OL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    it will be interesting to see what the Rex/Sparano brain trust come up with if #Tebow's skillzz bring more benefit to the G&P than the Sanchize air attack. Not good when your corner back thinks he's better than your #2,3 WR
    The Jets are in damage control mode right now.

The team really can't add any players before the season starts. Maybe they get lucky and find an OL after final cuts. But that guy won't even know the playbook when the season starts. So it's all about trying to do something with the players you have right now. How can the offense be schemed to maximize the talent we have ?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

No no no. We're SOJF's, sky is falling, spoiled brats who think we're smarter than everyone else.

By the way, good post.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, we are not built for anything on offense. THAT is the problem.

Check that, we are built to pad the stats of DEs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL, we are not built for anything on offense. THAT is the problem.

Check that, we are built to pad the stats of DEs.
    This is true, too. If you asked me what the offense does well, I'd have no answer.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Koopa is 100% right. I don't see what the issue is.

Last year, the OL SUCKED. This year, we bring back the SAME OL. And then we saw the pass protection in the first game. Anyone who feels good about this OL is off their rocker.

Hunter sucked last year. Moore was no good (I don't care if he made the pro bowl -- he almost got benched for Schlauderaff). Brick was mediocre, at best.
    The issue is that there are far too many sensitive and defensive posters here who find any reason to be optimistic. Even if those reasons are unrealistic ot irrational.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

You negative Nancy SOJF's kill me with your perfectly logical thought process and constructive criticism.

Why can't you just wave believe signs like a good delusional homer? There's no point in being so pessimistic because the Jets know something we don't. An NFL caliber blocking TE and RG are not needed to run the ball effectively. They're both overrated positions and the Jets know that hence why they did nothing to improve the positions. Beside that we have Shonn Greene who always appears to be running in quicksand.

So stop being so critical and think like a homer man.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    The issue is that there are far too many sensitive and defensive posters here who find any reason to be pessimistic. Even if those reasons are unrealistic ot irrational.
    the above statement is also true.

the inability for people to meet somewhere in the middle and have open-minded discussions has by and large ruined this forum.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    The issue is that there are far too many sensitive and defensive posters here who find any reason to be optimistic. Even if those reasons are unrealistic ot irrational.
    I'm convinced that Tannenbaum and Rex know nothing about offense.

In two years, they've turned the DL from a thin and aging position to an absolutely loaded position. Pouha, Wilkerson, Devito, Dixon are all good players and Coples and Ellis clearly have the goods. In the same period, the OL has gone from great to ****.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    the above statement is also true.

the inability for people to meet somewhere in the middle and have open-minded discussions has by and large ruined this forum.
    I think since we had a bad year last year that there has been more negativity. The mood of the forum is a result of the team's performance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you surprised? We didn't address the o-line or at running back. Our offense has an identity crisis.