Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We are not built to be a pure ground and pound team.....We just aren't

We are not built to be a pure ground and pound team.....We just aren't

Just purely off of personnel, we will not/cannot be a ground and pound team (Think 09 Jets) and think we can control the game.....it ain't happening

We have a stable of average RBs, below average blocking tight ends, and an average O-line......I'm sorry but that does not add up to a 09 Jets-style "ground and pound" team.

I think our best chance to be a good and successful offense is just being balanced and putting all of our skill guys in position to do what they do best...... Sanchez taking a big step and letting him throw down the field a lot more will be key, Using all 3 Rbs with what they do best, and getting creative with Tebow/Spread offense when the situation calls for it......We just need to mix it up and play the hot hand (Not purely Tebow/Sanchez but playmakers as we have a lot of different guys to spread the ball around to)

We have the chance to be a pretty good offense, but my biggest fear is Rex and Sparano playing too conservatively and trying to establish the ground and pound at all costs.....We will not be successful with this strategy IMO

Hall Of Fame
    sooo..... you're saying we won't run the ball on every single down?

you're right. We won't do that.

thanks for clearing that up for everybody.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Just purely off of personnel, we will not/cannot be a ground and pound team (Think 09 Jets) and think we can control the game.....it ain't happening

We have a stable of average RBs, below average blocking tight ends, and an average O-line......I'm sorry but that does not add up to a 09 Jets-style "ground and pound" team.

I think our best chance to be a good and successful offense is just being balanced and putting all of our skill guys in position to do what they do best...... Sanchez taking a big step and letting him throw down the field a lot more will be key, Using all 3 Rbs with what they do best, and getting creative with Tebow/Spread offense when the situation calls for it......We just need to mix it up and play the hot hand (Not purely Tebow/Sanchez but playmakers as we have a lot of different guys to spread the ball around to)

We have the chance to be a pretty good offense, but my biggest fear is Rex and Sparano playing too conservatively and trying to establish the ground and pound at all costs.....We will not be successful with this strategy IMO
    You are basing all your negativity( can not and will not) on a vanilla preseason game with no game planning and no threat of a wildcat play or two and an unsettled OL.

I say lets wait to see what we have after 4 preseason games. The hysterical doom and gloom crowd failed to see the physical play of AUSTIN HOWARD at both RT and LT. They never saw thw play at ROG of Schlauderaff and the development of Vlad at LOG and Slauson playing the center position. Perhaps we have the makings of a pretty dominant OL . But lets not rush to judgement based on the dysfunctional Ol of last year and one vanilla preseason game!

re the attack on our RBS. Err it takes time for the run game to develop with so many new OLmen playing yet McKnight;s play should have quited you down! If it didn't it is on you. Powell has done well at practices and shown pleanty. I am not sold on Greene as a starter! I love him coming off the bench when the other team is physicall tired and he kills them! The run game is developing and it will get better as chemistry with the OL develops and we game plan for it!

I agree wity you about the poor blocking of Killer-Keller and Cumberland! They hurt us on Friday night for sure. Yet you failed to mention that Tarren Lloyd is a blocking TE from UTAH STATE who can run routes pretty well and has decent hands but average speed. He is being developed and played sparingly Friday night. It will take time for him to fully develop enough to show what he can do.

But I look for waiver wire pickups to bolster the TE position re a BLOCKING TE who can catch! The book is still open on EPPS and Hayden Smith.

I disagree with you saying we can not be a GROUND and POUND TEAM. I do agree that we MUST allow Sanchez to throw deep just as long as he does not throw it to opposing DEs. I think he is going to have a monster year based on his determination to be great and the work he put into it at the gym in the off-season. I see Tebow as a good compliment to Mark and BOTH making us a good offense! Last but not least I agree that Sparano and Rex must mix plays up to keep the other team guessing and to use our game breakers in a great way. I se HILL going deep and Mark hitting him a lot more then we were used to last year!

Therefore I am hoping for a very good season and fail to share in any negativity at the present time! I love the DEFENSE as-is. I see Davis playing more and more over Scott! I see Maybin plaing more and more over Thomas and Pace will eventually be replaced by RICKY SAPP if he can stay healthy! Add that speed to our dynamic defense and it should quiet the Doom and Gloomers forthwith!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Its worse K, he's basing it on one quarter of play.

I think you are right and it is why Rex has started to call "ground and pound" a mentality not a literal thing

Jets Insider VIP
    Vanilla offense or not, Koopa is right. To think otherwise is short-sighted and a "head in the sand" approach.

I remember a lot of people using the vanilla offense excuse last pre-season as well. Truth was, our offense was very average to below average.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    You are basing all your negativity( can not and will not) on a vanilla preseason game with no game planning and no threat of a wildcat play or two and an unsettled OL.

I say lets wait to see what we have after 4 preseason games. The hysterical doom and gloom crowd failed to see the physical play of AUSTIN HOWARD at both RT and LT. They never saw thw play at ROG of Schlauderaff and the development of Vlad at LOG and Slauson playing the center position. Perhaps we have the makings of a pretty dominant OL . But lets not rush to judgement based on the dysfunctional Ol of last year and one vanilla preseason game!

re the attack on our RBS. Err it takes time for the run game to develop with so many new OLmen playing yet McKnight;s play should have quited you down! If it didn't it is on you. Powell has done well at practices and shown pleanty. I am not sold on Greene as a starter! I love him coming off the bench when the other team is physicall tired and he kills them! The run game is developing and it will get better as chemistry with the OL develops and we game plan for it!

I agree wity you about the poor blocking of Killer-Keller and Cumberland! They hurt us on Friday night for sure. Yet you failed to mention that Tarren Lloyd is a blocking TE from UTAH STATE who can run routes pretty well and has decent hands but average speed. He is being developed and played sparingly Friday night. It will take time for him to fully develop enough to show what he can do.

But I look for waiver wire pickups to bolster the TE position re a BLOCKING TE who can catch! The book is still open on EPPS and Hayden Smith.

I disagree with you saying we can not be a GROUND and POUND TEAM. I do agree that we MUST allow Sanchez to throw deep just as long as he does not throw it to opposing DEs. I think he is going to have a monster year based on his determination to be great and the work he put into it at the gym in the off-season. I see Tebow as a good compliment to Mark and BOTH making us a good offense! Last but not least I agree that Sparano and Rex must mix plays up to keep the other team guessing and to use our game breakers in a great way. I se HILL going deep and Mark hitting him a lot more then we were used to last year!

Therefore I am hoping for a very good season and fail to share in any negativity at the present time! I love the DEFENSE as-is. I see Davis playing more and more over Scott! I see Maybin plaing more and more over Thomas and Pace will eventually be replaced by RICKY SAPP if he can stay healthy! Add that speed to our dynamic defense and it should quiet the Doom and Gloomers forthwith!
    I am with you and could have written this post, thanks for saving me the time. I would like to think our coaching staff is a little smarter than fans are giving them credit for. Let's wait and see. It's like complaining about a Christmas gift before you even open it and know what it is because the box is too small or too light. Of course I would love to see our roster have a few more proven game changers and play makers, but it is what it is and let's give Sparano a chance. A little creativity can go a long way. I remember Giants fans incessant complaining about their receiving corp. last pre-season. There have been plenty of sports champions crowned in recent years that started the season with a roster that left people saying "this team has no chance". Let's give these guys a chance before writing them off.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Vanilla offense or not, Koopa is right. To think otherwise is short-sighted and a "head in the sand" approach.

I remember a lot of people using the vanilla offense excuse last pre-season as well. Truth was, our offense was very average to below average.
    sometimes its better to have your head buried in sand then up your butt! To base anything on the basis of one vanilla game is silly and a rush to judgement trying to look smart!

All League
    The only thing difference right now between 2009 and now when it comes to the run game is the OL play. I will hold off judgement on the OL until all five starters are playing and they have played another game or two in the preseason. Friday was not a good start for the run game, but 2 series isn't much of a sample either. It's also worth noting that the Bengals were a top ten rush D last season.

Before people kill me about Thomas Jones being the big difference, what really is different about him and Greene? They both are grinders that average ypc is in the low to mid 4 range, and neither breaks big runs.

Jets Insider VIP
    And what will you say if it doesn't significantly improve after 4 games? Will you be willing to admit there's a problem?

Powell has done well at practices and shown pleanty. I am not sold on Greene as a starter! I love him coming off the bench when the other team is physicall tired and he kills them! The run game is developing and it will get better as chemistry with the OL develops and we game plan for it!
    What have you personally seen Powell do? We've heard good reports from practices. That doesn't translate to games. He looked like the same Powell Friday that we saw last season. Tentative and not explosive.

We can't count on waiver wire pickups to find a player we don't currently have on the roster. I like the prospect of Smith but he will probably take a year or two to develop into that player.

I think the defense looks very good. I don't share your optimism about the offense. Not at all.

Jets Insider VIP
    sometimes its better to have your head buried in sand then up your butt! To base anything on the basis of one vanilla game is silly and a rush to judgement trying to look smart!
    Once again, you take everything personally and refuse to allow for opposing opinions.

If you think I'm trying to be smart by disagreeing with you, does that mean that you think you are smarter?

Jets Insider VIP
    Once again, you take everything personally and refuse to allow for opposing opinions.

If you think I'm trying to be smart by disagreeing with you, does that mean that you think you are smarter?
    Nah, I think you are a spoiled brat who thinks he knows it all but knows nothing! Have a nice day loser! and yes, if we do not show better on the OL after 4 games, I will be admit we have a problem. Unlike you I am not here to win debates! I am here to discuss Jets football. Now get lost!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 08-12-2012 at 11:50 AM.

They need to roll Sanchez out to the right. He throws great on the roll outs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Nah, I think you are a spoiled brat who thinks he knows it all but knows nothing! Have a nice day loser! and yes, if we do not show better on the OL after 4 games, I will be admit we have a problem. Unlike you I am not here to win debates! I am here to discuss Jets football. Now get lost!
    Now with the personal attacks?

How long have you been watching Jets football? I'm curious.

Sounds to me like YOU think YOU are smarter.

By the way, thanks for the intelligent football discussion.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    They need to roll Sanchez out to the right. He throws great on the roll outs.
    I agree, they need to use the boots and waggles more in the offense more this year, and I think they will. Sanchez just looks more comfortable on the roll, and it also cuts the field in half for his reads.

That being said, if they install a bunch of rolls where the routes are a flat route, and a 5 yard drag, then it defeats the purpose. I also like getting Sanchez on the edge, because if needed, he's capable of picking up some yards on the ground. He's no Vick or Tebow, but he's got enough to make a play or 2 for positive yardage outside the pocket.

Hall Of Fame
    Now with the personal attacks?

How long have you been watching Jets football? I'm curious.

Sounds to me like YOU think YOU are smarter.

By the way, thanks for the intelligent football discussion.
    They did the same thing last year when people brought up concerns about the O line depth and the WRs. They take a valid concern brought up by someone and turn it into a "doom and gloom, "chicken little" and "SOJ". Its like they take it personally if someone raises a valid question about the Jets. Look at what Koopa wrote in his post, is it really that off base? Based on the play of the O line last season is it really that outlandish? Its just amazing that people can not bring up a concern with out it turning into this.

People laying it down on Greene need to look at Jamal Lewis stats not MJD or McCoy. He is not a fast break back that is going to average 6+ yards a run. He is a guy that will "pound" the D into the ground and wear them down. Lewis was a guy who NEEDED 15-20 touches a game to make an impact. With the exception of 2003 his stats where never great in the 1st half. Backs like that are the ones you want in a "Ground and Pound". He is the 1st half of what looks like a pretty good 1 2 punch IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    They did the same thing last year when people brought up concerns about the O line depth and the WRs. They take a valid concern brought up by someone and turn it into a "doom and gloom, "chicken little" and "SOJ". Its like they take it personally if someone raises a valid question about the Jets. Look at what Koopa wrote in his post, is it really that off base? Based on the play of the O line last season is it really that outlandish? Its just amazing that people can not bring up a concern with out it turning into this.
    Agreed. And apparently, when someone has no reasonable substantive response, attacking the messenger is the way to go.

Rookie
    Vanilla O playing against their vanilla D

Vanilla D playing against their vanilla O

Seems like it all evens out to me

Our offense isn't really good at anything.