Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rex Presser 8/12

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark it down, Hunter (barring injury) will be the starting day RT regardless of how good Howard looks.

I saw nothing from Bilal Powell in Friday's game that showed me he's any better than he was last year.

It's one thing to look good in practice. It's quite another to bring it to a game against NFL talent who really want to take your head off.

However, I think McIntyre looked better Friday then he did at any point last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets RapidReports ‏@CBSSportsNFLNYJ
    Darrelle Revis is helping WR Stephen Hill, giving him tips on things other WRs have done to him so Hill can try to do that in games

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Mark it down, Hunter (barring injury) will be the starting day RT regardless of how good Howard looks.

I saw nothing from Bilal Powell in Friday's game that showed me he's any better than he was last year.

It's one thing to look good in practice. It's quite another to bring it to a game against NFL talent who really want to take your head off.

However, I think McIntyre looked better Friday then he did at any point last year.
    Powell can pick up the blitz. I hope McKnight can improve at it, but if he can't we'll have no choice, unless maybe we can use Baker in that spot.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Powell can pick up the blitz. I hope McKnight can improve at it, but if he can't we'll have no choice, unless maybe we can use Baker in that spot.
    I want to be able to say that Powell looks like the real deal. He simply doesn't appear to have it.

Until I see Powell catching balls out of the backfield, I'd rather go with Baker in that role.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to be able to say that Powell looks like the real deal. He simply doesn't appear to have it.

Until I see Powell catching balls out of the backfield, I'd rather go with Baker in that role.
    Jordy, did you notice some plays where it looked like the outside was wide open, but Powell chose to run the ball up the gut ?

Am wondering how much leeway RBs have in this offense to run to daylight, as opposed to where the play was called.

In his highlight cutup reels, Powell seemed to be good at slow rolling, waiting behind his blockers for a crease to open up, then hitting it. It's what Willis McGahee did so well in Denver last year. I just don't see any of our RBs doing that. Not sure if it's because of the scheme (man vs. ZBS), or if they just goes against what the coaching staff wants.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listen, there were posters elsewhere who used the vanilla offense as an excuse.

I WASN'T REFERRING TO YOU.

Ask DDNY who he was referencing when he said it. I guarantee you it wasn't you.

Stop being a sensitive little girl.
    You are right. I wasn't. I was speaking in general. As far as I know, CMart never even used it as an excuse. Also, I have too much respect for CMart to call him out on something as mundane as that. I reserve those bullets for our thinner skinned members.

Besides, CMart is a closet pessimist. Don't let any of his posting fool you. He is one of us. Not sure why he fights it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Jordy, did you notice some plays where it looked like the outside was wide open, but Powell chose to run the ball up the gut ?

Am wondering how much leeway RBs have in this offense to run to daylight, as opposed to where the play was called.

In his highlight cutup reels, Powell seemed to be good at slow rolling, waiting behind his blockers for a crease to open up, then hitting it. It's what Willis McGahee did so well in Denver last year. I just don't see any of our RBs doing that. Not sure if it's because of the scheme (man vs. ZBS), or if they just goes against what the coaching staff wants.
    After being a primarily zone-running team with Brian Schottenheimer and Bill Callahan, Sparano is putting a greater emphasis on gap-scheme plays. He wants the Jets to thrive as a power running team, with the offensive linemen knocking defenders off the ball and the running backs plowing straight ahead at a designated gap.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...n_to_grou.html

read the above article...I posted it last week..Its another informative article from Jenny

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Pettine said OLB Garrett McIntyre, DT Marcus Dixon and DE Jay Richardson stood out when he watched the tape of Friday's game.

Jets DC Mike Pettine was going to have Coples practice in his game uniform today, but the uniforms were sent to team's HQ in Jersey

Pettine said they have seen "flashes" of what Coples did Friday in practice. Need to see it more consistently.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Pettine said OLB Garrett McIntyre, DT Marcus Dixon and DE Jay Richardson stood out when he watched the tape of Friday's game.

Jets DC Mike Pettine was going to have Coples practice in his game uniform today, but the uniforms were sent to team's HQ in Jersey

Pettine said they have seen "flashes" of what Coples did Friday in practice. Need to see it more consistently.
    Pettine saw it correctly.

I think Davis looked good too. Kid is super quick and always seems to be around the ball.

Personally, I don't care what Coples does in practice as long as he is getting in shape and brings it in the games. He was gassed from playing so much but he looked formidable.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You are right. I wasn't. I was speaking in general. As far as I know, CMart never even used it as an excuse. Also, I have too much respect for CMart to call him out on something as mundane as that. I reserve those bullets for our thinner skinned members.

Besides, CMart is a closet pessimist. Don't let any of his posting fool you. He is one of us. Not sure why he fights it.
    No comment.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree on Powell and Mcknight always seems to impress me when he gets a chance. Would love to see him get a shot to be our starting RB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I get the feeling that Coples is the type of kid that will always perform better during a game than during practice.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets RapidReports ‏@CBSSportsNFLNYJ
    Rex Ryan liked the way rookie WR Stephen Hill played - for the most part. "It was good until he had that drop on third down."
    He showed some encouraging signs for sure. And other areas he needs to concentrate on improving.