Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shefter: Plaxico Burress is flying today to New England to work out for the Patriots

Shefter: Plaxico Burress is flying today to New England to work out for the Patriots

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Free-agent WR Plaxico Burress is flying today to New England to work out for the Patriots, the team he helped beat in SBXLII. More on ESPN.

How many receivers do they want on the team?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    6 foot 5, to 6 foot 5 is always good.

Hall Of Fame
    RZ target.

Plax, Gronk and Hernadez would be uncoverable.

THIS^^^ I like it.

Make it happen BB.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    RZ target.

Plax, Gronk and Hernadez would be uncoverable.
    Plax is old and slow ... He can't jump anymore. End zone threat .... Absolutely. Yikes.

Jets Insider VIP
    maybe they'll be signing Keyshawn Johnson next -- tall, washed up, very old and played for the Jets.... Patriot Perfect

Plax has been meeting with a few teams. I guess one of these days he is going to sign.

patriots just doing due diligence, checking him out if the need arises later in camp in case of injuries etc. I don't think a signing is imminent.

I could see some value in Plax if you don't need him as a primary receiver. He has trouble separating but still has soft hands. In specialty situations he could still be a weapon. However, he has to agree to be paid as a part-timer, not a starter. That could be the biggest issue with him still being unsigned this deep into training camp.

Rookie
    Vet minimum contract. Worth a look.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I could see some value in Plax if you don't need him as a primary receiver. He has trouble separating but still has soft hands. In specialty situations he could still be a weapon. However, he has to agree to be paid as a part-timer, not a starter. That could be the biggest issue with him still be unsigned this deep into training camp.
    Doesn't Plax owe the state of NY $65K in back taxes?

He's in no position to negotiate a salary.

He'll take anything a team gives him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I could see some value in Plax if you don't need him as a primary receiver. He has trouble separating but still has soft hands. In specialty situations he could still be a weapon. However, he has to agree to be paid as a part-timer, not a starter. That could be the biggest issue with him still be unsigned this deep into training camp.
    You are right. As a RZ target and a 4th WR he could be useful. He would have more value than Schilens right now. As long as you are not expecting him to contribute that much between the 20's, he has some value.

It would be well worth the 1 yr/$1MM troubled WR contract to Belichick, in order to stick it yet again to the Jets. Would not surprise me in the least to see him catch numerous tds with the Pats

Here's a different take on Plax getting a workout with the Pats. Plax's agent is Drew Rosenhaus. Rosenhaus has several clients on the Pats and reportedly has a good relationship with the team. This workout could just be Bellichick doing a favor for Rosenhaus. Plax immediately becomes a more interesting player to a lot of teams if they think the Pats might have an interest.

But I don't think the Pats are a good fit for Plax. If he signs with the Pats the best he can hope to be is a back up 5th option. I don't think he'd accept that kind of a role.

Clearly Plax showed he was a legitimate red zone threat last year. Reportedly he's added some speed in his 2nd year out of stir, but I'd have to see that first hand before I'd believe. I think he will find a job and he'd be an upgrade for the Jets and be nice 3rd WR you can plug in inside the 20's.

Veteran
    Plax has zero fire in the belly - and I am talking the football kind not the get-a-paycheck kind. He's a terrible fit for the Jets and is much of a reason as Santonio for the Jets struggles on offense last season.

Just because he could be an option somewhere else doesn't mean he has any value left to give for our current situation. I say good riddance.
    Last edited by adpz; 08-12-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HardKnocks View Post
    ... But I don't think the Pats are a good fit for Plax. If he signs with the Pats the best he can hope to be is a back up 5th option. I don't think he'd accept that kind of a role. ...
    he might be a back up 5th option, but that wouldn't stop Belli**** from trotting him out there as C in game 4

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    he might be a back up 5th option, but that wouldn't stop Belli**** from trotting him out there as C in game 4
    The pats vote on captains, BB does not appoint them

Veteran
    of course he is, and you know what, he will be a thorn in our side. BB just loves to sign our castaways and spits on us as they have pro bowl like years.

Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    of course he is, and you know what, he will be a thorn in our side. BB just loves to sign our castaways and spits on us as they have pro bowl like years.
    No one would expect Plax to have a Pro Bowl type year, but he's proven to be an effective RZ target. Great idea that.