Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This is the end of the Rex/ Tanny era

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do these same posters think of their individual lives?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This post should go into the hall of shame!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL. The first one is the most apropos. "Go f*ck yourself San Diego"
    It's the second time I've used it, too. Think he'd have caught on by now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    What do these same posters think of their individual lives?
    lol.

that has to be a hot mess we don't even want to know about...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are not at the end of the Tannenbaum era just yet. He gets two more seasons IMO to see if the pieces he has assembled can function as a top franchise. If it goes badly he is out. Eight years is more than enough to develop a complete picture of a GM.

Right now, six years in I would say the roster is a mess and that is 100% down to the GM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    DiegoJetFan in 2007:

"Fire Tom Coughlin, he's won less than 50% of his games as a coach of the Giants"

DiegoJetFan i 2008:

"Fire Mike McCarthy, he's had one good season in three years"

DiegoJetFan in 2009

"Fire Sean Payton, he went 10-6 in his first season, but 7-9 and 8-8 in his last two years, he is a fool"
    If the Jets' starting QB turned out to be as good as Eli, Rodgers, or Brees, then Rex and Tanny will be in good shape.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raiders lost in the playoffs in 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1975. Why oh why didn't they dump that bum Madden????

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt929 View Post
    Raiders lost in the playoffs in 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1975. Why oh why didn't they dump that bum Madden????
    Because they had Ken Stabler.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    We are not at the end of the Tannenbaum era just yet. He gets two more seasons IMO to see if the pieces he has assembled can function as a top franchise. If it goes badly he is out. Eight years is more than enough to develop a complete picture of a GM.

Right now, six years in I would say the roster is a mess and that is 100% down to the GM.
    Yep. Tanny, Rex and Sanchez all tied to the hip for the next 2 seasons, which coincides with the SB in NJ Feb 2014.

If after that and no SB Woody could clean house and start anew.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bravo. One preseason game and we're here. Bravo
    And let me also applaud your team spirit and belief that maybe these men who are paid to coach may know more about what they are doing than we do. If we don't look better during game 3 of preseason then come back with this, but this is way to early.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Nice poem.
    hahahahahaha....well played...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [youtube]8pBi69gqVO0[/youtube]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    You're wrong.

The end was when the gun sounded in Pittsburgh in 2010. You don't lose back-to-back AFC Championship Games and go on to further glory. No one wants to hear this yet. Come back in October.

SAR I
    Yeah everybody knows that. Every time a coach won 4 playoff games in his first two years he's been an utter failure. Same old story.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Diego Jet Fan View Post
    THIS IS THE END

Turnstyle, Cotch, Braylan, these mistakes
    will cost both men their jobs.

It was fun, Tanny did the best he could w/o
    any football knowledge, Rex was a blast
    for two years before he made three of worst
    player decisions in the history of the game.

I'm sick of Rex, I'm sick of Tanny, both
    men are fools, they have proven that,
    I hope Woody finds capable replacements,
    and I believe he will.
    This thread is useless with no reason!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    You do when you didn't belong there in the first place.
    + 1

Why is this always overlooked by the majority of anti Rex fan club???

THE NEW YORK JETS OVERACHIEVED ON THEIR WAY TO 2 AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES!

Year one under Rex we won 9 games with a rookie QB, losing our biggest offensive weapon for the season (Leon) and our arguably most dominant defender (Kris Jenkins) for the year as well. He coached a #1 D with NO passrusher, had top running attack lead by solid, but not spectacular, Thomas Jones and started out with Cotch as out top WR till trading for Braylon a month or so into the season. Then once we made the playoffs we went ON THE ROAD AS UNDERDOGS and still won back to back playoff games at Cinncy and SD before falling to the Peyton Manning lead Colts in the AFCCG.

In Rex second year we won 11 games with a second year QB (who most call the sophomore slump season), a Defense that again lost Jenkins (granted he was not looked at as reliable player health wise by this time), our QB of the secondary in Jim Leonhard a month before playoff time, and also our RT in Woody prior to the playoffs as well. Our offense did improve personal wise with addition of Holmes and LT (and it showed) despite dropping Faneca and plugging in a 6th rounder as his replacement. We still had a top D without a passrusher, and were running thin on the DLine as well. We went ON THE ROAD AS UNDERDOGS AND BEAT TWO OF THE GREATEST QBs OF ALL TIME IN THEIR OWN BACK YARD........ALL WITH SANCHEZ PLAYING WITH A TORN UP THROWING SHOULDER, before eventually losing a very disappointing game in PITT (who were the favorites lead by a 2X SB winning QB and great D).

Was it disappointing to lose back to back AFC Championship Games? F*CK YEAH IT WAS!

Were the Jets favorites to win those games (or any playoff game they played for that matter)? F*CK NO THEY WERE NOT!

Rex has overachieved and raised expectations through the roof, and Im glad he did. But don't for a second forget where we have come from or what he had to work with to get there in the first place.

Sent from my LG-P999

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    + 1

Year one under Rex we won 9 games with a rookie QB, losing our biggest offensive weapon for the season (Leon) and our arguably most dominant defender (Kris Jenkins) for the year as well. He coached a #1 D with NO passrusher, had top running attack lead by solid, but not spectacular, Thomas Jones and started out with Cotch as out top WR till trading for Braylon a month or so into the season. Then once we made the playoffs we went ON THE ROAD AS UNDERDOGS and still won back to back playoff games at Cinncy and SD before falling to the Peyton Manning lead Colts in the AFCCG.

In Rex second year we won 11 games with a second year QB (who most call the sophomore slump season), a Defense that again lost Jenkins (granted he was not looked at as reliable player health wise by this time), our QB of the secondary in Jim Leonhard a month before playoff time, and also our RT in Woody prior to the playoffs as well. Our offense did improve personal wise with addition of Holmes and LT (and it showed) despite dropping Faneca and plugging in a 6th rounder as his replacement. We still had a top D without a passrusher, and were running thin on the DLine as well. We went ON THE ROAD AS UNDERDOGS AND BEAT TWO OF THE GREATEST QBs OF ALL TIME IN THEIR OWN BACK YARD........ALL WITH SANCHEZ PLAYING WITH A TORN UP THROWING SHOULDER, before eventually losing a very disappointing game in PITT (who were the favorites lead by a 2X SB winning QB and great D).

Was it disappointing to lose back to back AFC Championship Games? F*CK YEAH IT WAS!

Were the Jets favorites to win those games (or any playoff game they played for that matter)? F*CK NO THEY WERE NOT!

Rex has overachieved and raised expectations through the roof, and Im glad he did. But don't for a second forget where we have come from or what he had to work with to get there in the first place.

Sent from my LG-P999
    This post is spot on. We all enjoyed the playoff ride both years but only the most myopic brain dead homers think that this franchise was on a good track.

Mike T. has rolled the dice many times and while we may have a diamond in the rough here or there (Kenrick Ellis for example), all in all the Tannenbaum pay you next Tuesday for a hamburger today approach is long term suicide for a franchise. It has never really worked anywhere in the NFL and I think it is going to look worse and worse here with the Jets the longer we go.

Having said that, this thread at this point of this season is premature.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    + 1

Here's the key to the whole argument which most people miss:

When Rex Ryan wants to and when his players want to, the Jets can play dominating, lights-out football. Like you reference in the postseason, the Jets crushed likes of the 13 win Chargers and 14 win Patriots with relative ease, dictating the tempo, setting the tone. Our finest moments.

The issue is that after both successive playoff runs we as fans say "Ah ha! The team has finally found out how to play that brand of hard football that Ryan talks about!" and we thing we've turned a corner. Coming out of '09, I was sure that we'd grow from there and learn to dominate. Nope. Again, coming out of '10 I was certain that this time they'd learned the lesson, that we'd explode from there, build off the momentum of defeating the Patriots in the playoffs, and win the division. Nope.

The problem is that Rex Ryan cannot get himself and his team motivated over the long haul of the season where Bill Belichick can. Rex and this group are now firmly labeled as a team that can get hot late but not a team that can consistently put forth the type of effort necessary to get a 13 or 14 win season. That's the counter to the "great playoff run" argument; if he's capable of those types of signature victories in January, why is he incapable in October, November, or December? Why does the defense inexplicably fall asleep in the middle of the season? Why can't he get the team up enough week in and week out?

You say "Rex overachieved with an average roster". I say "Well then, why can't he do it from September to January seeing that all the other good coaches can?"

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    This post is spot on. We all enjoyed the playoff ride both years but only the most myopic brain dead homers think that this franchise was on a good track.

Mike T. has rolled the dice many times and while we may have a diamond in the rough here or there (Kenrick Ellis for example), all in all the Tannenbaum pay you next Tuesday for a hamburger today approach is long term suicide for a franchise. It has never really worked anywhere in the NFL and I think it is going to look worse and worse here with the Jets the longer we go.

Having said that, this thread at this point of this season is premature.
    Good post. We do a LOT of things unconventionally:

Roster: Free agent splash over drafting quality.

Coaching: A three-headed organization, no real head coach, just three coordinators.

Ryan: Loud, boisterous, attention-getting, fetishy, gets overplayed quickly.

Defense: Whole world revolves around trying to win it the hard way like only the '85 Bears and '00 Ravens have done.

Ground & Pound: Trying to play rope-a-dope when the rest of the league is passing loosely.

Quarterback: Deliberately set us up for a controversy, or at the very least, a big distraction.

Pin any one of these 6 things on a team and you'd say they're rolling big dice; the Jets are doing all 6 at once.

SAR I