Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This is the end of the Rex/ Tanny era

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post

Mike T. has rolled the dice many times and while we may have a diamond in the rough here or there (Kenrick Ellis for example), all in all the Tannenbaum pay you next Tuesday for a hamburger today approach is long term suicide for a franchise. It has never really worked anywhere in the NFL and I think it is going to look worse and worse here with the Jets the longer we go.
    Exactly

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigGreen View Post
    The season hasn't started yet, so all the blinders are still on, but I cannot wait for the middle of the season to come around and people start saying to guys like SAR, "you were right."
    So you're saying you can't wait for the Jets to fail?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post

I just spit out my coffee. ROFLMAO

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    History will prove Rex to have more entertainment value than head coaching intelligence. The window on him and Tann will last for another season or 3, until they make the next football blunder by caving in and hiring Cowher
    Right on observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Rex and tnny see the writing on the wall. Thats why they brought in their ace in the hole: Tim Tebow

The minute this ship starts sinking, Tebow will be in there as the starter. And winning football games and saving rex and tanny will be his job.
    Am I the only one who read that as, "and having sex"? I lol'd.

yea, this season should take them both down, no worries. i'm done with Rex's head coaching IQ

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    You do when you didn't belong there in the first place.
    Some people are too stupid to understand this.

You overachieve to win 2 road games, as underdogs in each game to get to the AFCCG, but give him no credit for getting you there.

Just blame him for losing games on the road as underdogs in each.

This is the resume of the man you fire.

If you are a moron you do.

This speculation is only if the jets finish 8-8 or less, a winning season even 9-7 will keep the hounds at bay.

Tanny wii have at least next year also. He knew that the quest for a championship by Acquiring FA and soon to FA was going to place the team in a bind cap wise and I believe that it was done at Woody's behest.

I think Woody will need to wait to see how he pulls the team out of the cap mess next off season. He most certainly has his work cut out for him as 1/2 of the starters are FA next year. Rex will last at least 1 more year past Tanny as his record the 1st two years shields him.

Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    + 1

Why is this always overlooked by the majority of anti Rex fan club???

THE NEW YORK JETS OVERACHIEVED ON THEIR WAY TO 2 AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES!

Year one under Rex we won 9 games with a rookie QB, losing our biggest offensive weapon for the season (Leon) and our arguably most dominant defender (Kris Jenkins) for the year as well. He coached a #1 D with NO passrusher, had top running attack lead by solid, but not spectacular, Thomas Jones and started out with Cotch as out top WR till trading for Braylon a month or so into the season. Then once we made the playoffs we went ON THE ROAD AS UNDERDOGS and still won back to back playoff games at Cinncy and SD before falling to the Peyton Manning lead Colts in the AFCCG.

In Rex second year we won 11 games with a second year QB (who most call the sophomore slump season), a Defense that again lost Jenkins (granted he was not looked at as reliable player health wise by this time), our QB of the secondary in Jim Leonhard a month before playoff time, and also our RT in Woody prior to the playoffs as well. Our offense did improve personal wise with addition of Holmes and LT (and it showed) despite dropping Faneca and plugging in a 6th rounder as his replacement. We still had a top D without a passrusher, and were running thin on the DLine as well. We went ON THE ROAD AS UNDERDOGS AND BEAT TWO OF THE GREATEST QBs OF ALL TIME IN THEIR OWN BACK YARD........ALL WITH SANCHEZ PLAYING WITH A TORN UP THROWING SHOULDER, before eventually losing a very disappointing game in PITT (who were the favorites lead by a 2X SB winning QB and great D).

Was it disappointing to lose back to back AFC Championship Games? F*CK YEAH IT WAS!

Were the Jets favorites to win those games (or any playoff game they played for that matter)? F*CK NO THEY WERE NOT!

Rex has overachieved and raised expectations through the roof, and Im glad he did. But don't for a second forget where we have come from or what he had to work with to get there in the first place.

Sent from my LG-P999
    I agree with almost everything you said, but please remember the jets were rated as the best team in the league Befor farve got hurt ant that season spun out. So I don't know what level of wear you wore you speak of

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    LOL@ another season or 3 and then hire Cowher??? Its took Cowher 15 seasons to win a Super Bowl.... I don't understand the obsession with Cowher on this board..he made it to 2 Superbowls in 17 seasons and won one of them and we want to run Rex out of town after his 3rd season.....this is why we haven't won anything in so long......the impatience is our undoing..
    did you miss the Cowher remark was preceded by ... the next football blunder ?

All League
    Go smoke a J or somethin

They were done when they drafted Sanchez as the franchise QB

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    ...but please remember the jets were rated as the best team in the league Befor farve got hurt...
    lol wut?

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDgreenN'white View Post
    Go smoke a J or somethin
    spark it up

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    lol wut?
    yes in 2008, when Brady got hurt, The Jets were #1 in the AFC before Farve got hurt and just beat the pats and the titans in back to back weeks (the titans were undefeated at 10-0, and the jets were on a 6 game winning streak)

When did you become a fan of the jets, for crying out loud?

the jets then lost 4 of 5 and the fins won thier last 5 and beat the pats with the best record of 11-5 on the 5th tie breaker. It was only the 2nd time in the history of the nfl that a team finished with 11 wins and did not make the playoffs.

Go back into the archives and look

just did, I could only find espn rankings, other places at the time has the jets #1 after beating the titans in nashiille and the pats in foxboro on back to back weeks. z.

The New York Giants, who, like the Titans, are 10-1, move up one place to reassume the Power Rankings' summit. But the Titans fall only one rung to No. 2. The AFC East-leading Jets, who are 8-3, rank third. They vaulted three spots after their 34-13 rout of the Titans.

needless to say all the jet fans thought so.
    Last edited by patman; 08-13-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

You overachieve to win 2 road games, as underdogs in each game to get to the AFCCG, but give him no credit for getting you there.

Tannenbaum has had six years to build a winning Franchise. A franchise that should not be in a position where it needs to back into the playoffs with a 9-7 record and then overachieve once it gets into the post season. The only "complete morons" in this thread are the ones who want to have the benefit of the over achievement on one hand but without bothering ask the hard question about why it is after six years with this GM that we need to over achieve to begin with. After six years we should not be looking at a roster such as this one with holes all over the place.

I will leave you to guess who those complete morons might be. And then maybe you might want to try counting them.

P.S. In your case please feel free to take off your shoes if you need to count to a number larger than ten. Trust me it will not be revealing any information about you to anyone in this thread that they did not know already.

Tannebaum gets two more years to turn this around and if we are not significantly better than we are today across the board then it is time for him to go after an 8 year trial run.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    When did you become a fan of the jets, for crying out loud?
    When they signed Tebow.

Why?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

1. The Giants get 'hot' in the postseason but manage to win Super Bowl's.

2. The Jets get 'hot' in the postseason and only make it halfway to Lombardi.

Very convenient to look at his postseason record and ignore his regular season record, isn't it?

Look at Rex Ryan in the regular season and you're looking at Herman Edwards or Eric Mangini or Al Groh. Just another coach averaging a mediocre 9-7 record with a healthy starting QB under center, just another coach ekeing out a wildcard while the Patriots clean his clock.

If Rex Ryan is The Man you think he is, then he'd figure out a way to get 12 or 13 wins out of a team that he's good enough to get to win a few playoff games. He isn't. The inverse of your theory is also very telling. If the team is good enough to beat the likes of the 14 win Patriots and 13 win Chargers on the road in the postseason then surely they'd be able to sweep the scrubs on the schedule unless their head coach was holding them back. A no-talent team isn't going to stuff Tom Brady and Peyton Manning on their homefields in January.

Show me some areas of coaching improvement that Rex has demonstrated since his very first game in 2009. Clock management, coaches challenges, timeouts, offensive strategy, blitzes, average players that he's mentored into studs, gameplan's, halftime adjustments, locker room harmony. Go ahead. Show me. Ryan's a good postseason coach. That's great news if every sleeping regular season team, you know, made the playoffs.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    When they signed Tebow.

Why?
    Because I have been posting on this site for ten years and during those ten years 1/2 of the time the jet fans thought the jets were better than the pats.

I would have thought any jet fan would have remembered the few times that they actually were ranked as a superior team.

Your post made is sound like the jets were a bad team under mangini, when they were not. They had a bad season when Chad was hurt but the other two years they were fine. including making the playoffs in 2006, 2 years before being the #1 ranked team in 2008.

If Woody did not force Farve down Mangini throat, with the year that Chad had in 2008 the jets would have made the playoffs again.
    Last edited by patman; 08-13-2012 at 12:50 PM.

This thread is very premature, but I don't think it's out of the question that Rex and/or Tanny both go if we have a non-playoff season. Certainly, I'd say Tannenbaum's seat is hotter, but if the GM goes, then usually the coach is removed as well. Basically, I see the two as linked at the hip. Rex's resume so far is strong, but his brash personality gives him less of a margin for error than other coaches. If you aren't winning games, Rex becomes too much of a distraction with all his talk. Although I still think it would have to go very bad for either Rex or Tanny to be canned after this season. Probably 6-10 or worse. Both could probably survive a .500 season with no playoffs (with the understanding that 2013 then becomes playoffs or you're fired)