Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Vrentas: Tackle Austin Howard impresses Jets coaches

  1. #1

    Vrentas: Tackle Austin Howard impresses Jets coaches

    CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Rex Ryan gave rave reviews of Austin Howard, a back-up tackle who started Friday's preseason opener when Wayne Hunter was sidelined with a back injury.

    The Jets coach singled out Howard as someone who "played like a Jet," a physical player who drove defenders off the ball and finished blocks.

    "You look at a guy like this, anybody that can play the way he plays is trying to tell you something," Ryan said. "Youíve got to find a way to get him out there."

    Neither Ryan nor offensive coordinator Tony Sparano outright said there is a competition between Howard and Hunter for the right tackle job, though Sparano pointed out there is competition "all over the place." The two players rotated at the right tackle spot with the first-team offense today, but Sparano said that's because the trainers have Hunter on a play count due to his injury.

    "Obviously Wayne hadnít been out there practicing, so Austin has been playing right tackle," Sparano said. "When Wayne was there, Wayne was doing a really nice job. We were up here talking about Wayne at that point.

    Weíre anxious to get Wayne back and see the competition go at that point.

    But Austin doing what he's done right now, quite honestly, itís becoming a little bit of a habit."

    Howard, who was signed by the Jets off Baltimore's practice squad last November, said most of his experience is as a left tackle. Hunter has helped Howard out adjust some of his techniques, including his hand placement and footing, to the right side.

    Sparano praised Howard for playing with "tremendous power." The next step, he said, is becoming more consistent. Sparano said Howard played well on 75 percent of plays in Friday's preseason game, which he said is "pretty good" for a lineman.

    Howard doesn't have any expectations for his role this season.

    "Right now, that was the first preseason game," he said. "Nothingís set in stone. As far as the season goes, right now, Iím not even looking to the season. Iím just focusing on this preseason, getting better every game and kind of focus on things like technique and staying in the playbook and making sure that I can do whatever the coaches ask me to do."

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...impresses.html

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Rex Ryan gave rave reviews of Austin Howard, a back-up tackle who started Friday's preseason opener when Wayne Hunter was sidelined with a back injury.

    The Jets coach singled out Howard as someone who "played like a Jet," a physical player who drove defenders off the ball and finished blocks.

    "You look at a guy like this, anybody that can play the way he plays is trying to tell you something," Ryan said. "Youíve got to find a way to get him out there."

    Neither Ryan nor offensive coordinator Tony Sparano outright said there is a competition between Howard and Hunter for the right tackle job, though Sparano pointed out there is competition "all over the place." The two players rotated at the right tackle spot with the first-team offense today, but Sparano said that's because the trainers have Hunter on a play count due to his injury.

    "Obviously Wayne hadnít been out there practicing, so Austin has been playing right tackle," Sparano said. "When Wayne was there, Wayne was doing a really nice job. We were up here talking about Wayne at that point.

    Weíre anxious to get Wayne back and see the competition go at that point.

    But Austin doing what he's done right now, quite honestly, itís becoming a little bit of a habit."

    Howard, who was signed by the Jets off Baltimore's practice squad last November, said most of his experience is as a left tackle. Hunter has helped Howard out adjust some of his techniques, including his hand placement and footing, to the right side.

    Sparano praised Howard for playing with "tremendous power." The next step, he said, is becoming more consistent. Sparano said Howard played well on 75 percent of plays in Friday's preseason game, which he said is "pretty good" for a lineman.

    Howard doesn't have any expectations for his role this season.

    "Right now, that was the first preseason game," he said. "Nothingís set in stone. As far as the season goes, right now, Iím not even looking to the season. Iím just focusing on this preseason, getting better every game and kind of focus on things like technique and staying in the playbook and making sure that I can do whatever the coaches ask me to do."

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...impresses.html
    I want Hunter to come back and take over this job because I have plans for this kid as a LT.With his size and strength at the POA,well i can dream.


    By the By,my plan involves trading 2 of the Best players on the Roster.Ferguson and Revis.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,849
    So why the hell won't they come out and say that Howard is in the running for the starting RT spot?

    What the hell is with this undying allegiance to Wayne Hunter?

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    So why the hell won't they come out and say that Howard is in the running for the starting RT spot?

    What the hell is with this undying allegiance to Wayne Hunter?
    UT,this kid has whatever experience he has at LT and in his 1st game starting at RT,a position where all the angles are backward,he excels causing the coaches to singled him out.

    I think i want him to stay at LT and continue his development.The other thing that might be interesting here is the fact that the coaching staff may be lighting a fire under Hunter by pointing out how well Howard looked.After watching that game,i can't believe any of the OLmen were worthy of praise.

    Our QBs were "In Harm's way" all night.

  5. #5
    Hope he continues improving and Spags/ Sparano lets him spot a few reps to light a fire under lazy Brick as well

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Hope he continues improving and Spags/ Sparano lets him spot a few reps to light a fire under lazy Brick as well
    R U trying to get banned.You can't call out Brick like that.U have to be more covert.

    He didn't mean it guys,LOL.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,447
    There should've been an open competition from the beginning of camp. Well OTA's really. But glad to hear the team is open to Howard possibly beating out Hunter.

  8. #8
    Howard got bull rushed pretty bad, but so did Hunter. I hope that the starting RT on opening day isn't on this team yet but that becomes less likely with each passing day. Sanchez will have no time to throw the ball this year and will have to play hurt with all the hits

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Howard got bull rushed pretty bad, but so did Hunter. I hope that the starting RT on opening day isn't on this team yet but that becomes less likely with each passing day. Sanchez will have no time to throw the ball this year and will have to play hurt with all the hits
    Hunter got bull rushed Friday?

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    7,558
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Hunter got bull rushed Friday?
    Hunter is so bad he got bull rushed in a game he didn't play in.

    I blame Tanny.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,598
    Howard, Austin T 6-7 333 25 3 Northern Iowa

    6'07" @ 333lbs Geez, that's a big dude. I'd like to see him take the job from Hunter and move Hunter back into his back-up role again.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post

    By the By,my plan involves trading 2 of the Best players on the Roster.Ferguson and Revis.
    Put on your helmet Tinstar ... incoming ...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us