Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cimini: Practice report: Tebow shines, Hill drops

  1. #1

    Cimini: Practice report: Tebow shines, Hill drops

    CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Tim Tebow was a rock star Sunday at practice. He had a small cheering section in the bleachers, with one female fan holding a banner that said: "Tim, you put the stud in bible study."

    Tebow didn't disappoint his admirers, enjoying one of his better practices. In team drills, he 9-for-12 (two drops), plus a 25-yard TD run on a designed rollout from under center. He did, however, make a couple of mental errors in a "Gotta-have-it" drill at the end of practice.

    On a fourth-down play in the red zone, with the game clock winding down, Tebow completed a ball to WR Patrick Turner, but it was well short of the end zone. He got an earful from coordinator Tony Sparano.

    QB Mark Sanchez struggled a bit with his accuracy (7-for-15, one drop), especially in a two-minute drill. On a fourth-down player, Sanchez was intercepted by nickel back Kyle Wilson (his second of the day). The ball was intended for rookie WR Jordan White, and there may have been a miscommunication.

    KIDDIE CORPS: It was a tough day for rookie WR Stephen Hill, who had a key third-down drop in the preseason opener. This time, he dropped a fourth-and-5 pass from Sanchez, a blantant case of a receiver trying to run before he caught the ball. In that situation, he needed to show better awareness. Possession was more important than yards-after-catch. On the very next play, Hill ran the wrong route on an audible by Sanchez.

    This is some of the stuff that happens when you're dealing with an experienced receiving corps. Hill had a nice moment in a 7-on-7 drill, hauling in a 50-yard TD pass from Tebow. But he beat LB Josh Mauga on the play, so don't get too giddy.

    INJURY REPORT: WR Santonio Holmes (rib), NT Sione Pouha (head/back), WR Chaz Schilens (ankle), LB Ricky Sapp (ankle) and RT Stephon Heyer (undisclosed) didn't practice. Curiously, Pouha wasn't even on the field. A team spokesman said his absence was injury related, but he declined to say whether it was due to the stitches he received in his forehead about 10 days ago.

    WR Jeremy Kerley, who admitted afterward that he's recovering from a slight hamstring tear, was on the field to field punts, but that was it.

    WOE IS JOE: Tough camp for RB Joe McKnight. He got in a fight, suffered food poisoning after eating at a local restaurant and sustained a stinger in one practice. On Sunday, he left practice with an apparent ankle injury. He rolled his ankle while cutting into a hole. He limped off the field and received attention from the training staff. No word on his status.

    WAYNE'S WORLD: RT Wayne Hunter (lower back) returned to practice after missing a few days. He shared reps with Austin Howard, but Hunter was limited because of the injury.

    ODDS AND ENDS: Nice practice for DT Marcus Dixon (two sacks) ... Two interceptions for Wilson, who caught one off the hands of RB Bilal Powell ... This might have been QB Greg McElroy's best practice of camp. He hit WR Wes Kemp on a 47-yard post route (beautiful throw) and he showed good arm strength on a nice sideline completion to Powell, who beat LB Demario Davis ... WR Dexter Jackson dropped a well-thrown deep ball by Tebow ... WR Eron Riley beat CB Ryan Steed for a 60-yard TD, a nice throw by McElroy ... A lot of the practice was devoted to situational stuff -- fourth downs, red zone and two-minute.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

    On a fourth-down play in the red zone, with the game clock winding down, Tebow completed a ball to WR Patrick Turner, but it was well short of the end zone.
    "NICE PLAY!!!" says Brian Schottenheimer

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    KIDDIE CORPS: It was a tough day for rookie WR Stephen Hill, who had a key third-down drop in the preseason opener. This time, he dropped a fourth-and-5 pass from Sanchez, a blantant case of a receiver trying to run before he caught the ball. In that situation, he needed to show better awareness. Possession was more important than yards-after-catch. On the very next play, Hill ran the wrong route on an audible by Sanchez.

    This is some of the stuff that happens when you're dealing with an experienced receiving corps. Hill had a nice moment in a 7-on-7 drill, hauling in a 50-yard TD pass from Tebow. But he beat LB Josh Mauga on the play, so don't get too giddy.

    Uhhhh......Cimini obviously didn't get this gig due to this Grammar skills, apparently.

    Using that logic(in bold), i'd hate to see what stuff happens when you're dealing with an INexperienced receiving corps.

  4. #4
    Looks like McElroy showing the goods. Once his physical progression moves closer to his above average football IQ he should be a very effective backup QB

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,309
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Looks like McElroy showing the goods. Once his physical progression moves closer to his above average football IQ he should be a very effective backup QB
    But Sanchez is the starter,and Tebow the backup,so how will that ever happen.

    That kid had better worry about holding off Matt Simms.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,155
    Sanchez and McElroy are quarterbacks

    Tebo, not so much

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Looks like McElroy showing the goods. Once his physical progression moves closer to his above average football IQ he should be a very effective backup QB
    maybe he should ask brady for BALCO's number

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us