Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08/12 Practice Report

08/12 Practice Report

Tebow gets two TDs, outdoing Sanchez at Jets practice

CORTLAND – Tim Tebow impressed in the Jets first practice back in Cortland since Friday night’s 17-6 loss to the Bengals in Cincinnati.

Tebow finished the day 9-for-12 in team drills, and also had a 25-yard touchdown run to cap off a drive. Tebow also was sacked twice.

After Mark Sanchez went 1-for-3 and exited after one first down, Tebow led the Jets all the way down the field for a score, capping off the 10-play drive – during which he went 4-for-5 – with the touchdown run on a designed run around the right side.

Tebow did throw an interception in 7-on-7 drills, when a pass went of Bilal Powell’s hands and landed right in the arms of cornerback Kyle Wilson. But, on the next play, Tebow hit rookie wide receiver Stephen Hill for a 49-yard touchdown pass down the left sideline.

Sanchez finished the day 7-for-15 in team drills, including a touchdown to Dustin Keller in a red zone drill, an interception to Kyle Wilson on a pass intended for rookie wide receiver Jordan White, and was sacked once.

Both quarterbacks failed to drive the team down the field in two-minute drills.

Wayne Hunter and Austin Howard split reps with the first team in Sunday's practice at right tackle.

Hunter, the incumbent starter, is still trying to work his way back from a lingering back issue that has kept him out of practice since before the Green and White scrimmage, which led to the split in reps. That said, Howard impressed against the Bengals, with Jets coach Rex Ryan praising him before practice Sunday and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano doing the same afterwards.

Hunter said that he hopes to fully return to action in time to play in the Jets next preseason game against the Giants Saturday.

Jeremy Kerley, who has been out with a hamstring injury since the first day of training camp, fielded punts yesterday. Kerley, who said he had a slight tear in the hamstring, hopes to be back on the field this week.

Santonio Holmes (ribs) also sat out of yesterday’s practice, and hasn’t practice since suffering the injury over a week ago in the Green and White scrimmage on a hit by Antonio Cromartie.

Sione Po’uha also was absent from practice, with the only reason given that it was “injury related.” Po’uha has been out of practice since suffering a cut on his forehead that required stitches.

Nick Folk made all four field goal attempts in practice, converting from 36, 38, 45 and 47. Josh Brown made it from 40, 42 and 50, but missed twice from 51.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...nt=Jets%20Blog

Jets Insider VIP
    did he protect punts on special teams OK??

because he's NOT A QUARTERBACK

He outplayed Sanchez today so I'm sure he's decent enough to play QB.

Vrentas: Jets defense stops Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow in two-minute drill

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The Jets defense got the best of the offense in the two-minute drill during today's practice.

Both the first and second-team offense were given the ball at their own 34-yard line, with 1:25 on the clock. Neither unit was able to score.

Mark Sanchez and the first team offense stalled after seven plays, when a deep fourth-down pass fell incomplete. The intended target appeared to be TE Dustin Keller, but he appeared to stop his route. Sanchez was 2-of-5 on the drive, and was sacked once by OLB Calvin Pace.

Back-up quarterback Tim Tebow got the drive off to a good start with a completion of about 32 yards to TE Jeff Cumberland, but the play was called back because of holding. The second team's drive ended on back to back sacks by DL Marcus Dixon. Tebow was 2-for-2 on that drive, with the two sacks.

The situational work continued later, when the first-team offense ran three straight fourth down plays with 5, 7 and 9 yards to go. Sanchez was 0-for-3 in that period, including a drop by WR Stephen Hill and an interception snagged by CB Kyle Wilson.

In a red-zone period, Sanchez connected on a 12-yard touchdown to Keller. Offensive coordinator Tony Sparano then called for Tebow to come in with the first-team unit. Tebow connected underneath with Patrick Turner, but he was scolded because it was an all-or-nothing drill with one chance to score. Tebow threw an incomplete pass on his next chance.

Sanchez finished the day 7-of-15 with a sack, touchdown and interception in 11-on-11 drills. Tebow was 9-of-12 with two sacks and a rushing touchdown. Tebow's touchdown capped a 10-play drive, appearing to be a designed run to the outside on third-and-2 for about 25 yards.

In 7-on-7 team drills, Tebow was intercepted by Wilson on a deflection off Bilal Powell's hands, but rebounded by throwing a 51-yd TD to Hill on the next play.

Third-string QB Greg McElroy threw what might be his nicest pass of camp, a 47-yarder to WR Wes Kemp. He also connected with WR Eron Riley, who beat CB Ryan Steed, for a 60-yard touchdown

Other notes from today's practice:

++ Wayne Hunter (back) rotated at right tackle with Austin Howard, who has been impressing the coaches. But Sparano said they rotated reps because Hunter is on a pitch count. Howard was in for the two-minute drive, likely because they did not want to strain Hunter's injury.

++ S LaRon Landry (Achilles/heel) appeared to do a full practice opposite Yeremiah Bell. Eric Smith, who is day-to-day with an MCL sprain, hung out on the practice field in a baseball cap, wearing a compression sleeve and walking around gingerly.

++ WR Jeremy Kerley (hamstring) fielded punts today. WRs Santonio Holmes (ribs) and Chaz Schilens (ankle) did not practice. Also in the rehab group were OLB Ricky Sapp (ankle) and T Stephon Heyer. NT Sione Po'uha, who has been sidelined with forehead and back injuries, was not out on the practice field for what the team says was a medical reason.

++ RB Joe McKnight hobbled off the practice field after a carry, favoring his left leg.

++ Powell, who has drawn praise from the coaches for his pass protection ability, delivered a nice block on LB Garrett McIntyre so Tebow could get off a pass to Raymond Webber. It was a third-down play that kept alive Tebow's touchdown drive. Powell is also used as the back with the first-team offense in the two-minute drill.

++ In the kicking competition, Nick Folk was 4-for-4 today with a long of 46. Josh Brown was 3-of-5, with two misses from 51 yards.

++ The Jets waived punter Travis Baltz.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...rk_sanche.html

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

Sorry man .. This dude can play .. Mark needs to start outperforming ... And he needs to start soon.

Hall Of Fame

There YOU go starting it.

Jets Insider VIP
    not even close

look at the Tebo is the best "Quarterback" thread and the 15 pages of nonsense, bs and wild eyed prayerful adoration from the Tebo cultists that is pretty much on the verge of a major infestation of this best Jets Fan forum on the planet

Hall Of Fame
    not even close

look at the Tebo is the best "Quarterback" thread and the 15 pages of nonsense, bs and wild eyed prayerful adoration from the Tebo cultists that is pretty much on the verge of a major infestation of this best Jets Fan forum on the planet
    Why bring it to THIS thread? Why?

Not every thread has to be a Tebow argument.

All you did here was add to the "major infestation".

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    He outplayed Sanchez today so I'm sure he's decent enough to play QB.
    McElroy outplayed them both. McElroy starts?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Why did we need a separate thread?

Wasn't 99% of this covered in CMart's thread? Couldn't it simply have been added in that thread?

Maybe because it started off with "Tebow gets two TDs, outdoing Sanchez at Jets practice?"

While SG3 IS correct in what he says, I also think there was no need to start up this Tebow debate in yet another thread. Albeit, yes, Hawk was clearly trying to focus on Tebow with starting this thread off with 1/3rd of the entire post being about Tebow. Still, Hawk wasn't starting a Tebow debate.

I'm in favor of there being a Tebow sub-forum so that we can keep nonsense like this off the main forum. Then again, if people would stop turning things into a debate every time Tebow or Sanchez is mentioned, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Hall Of Fame
    Well, we can say the kicking competition is all but over. Gotta give props to Folk. Was rooting for Brown, but Folk's been on top of his game big time.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    While SG3 IS correct in what he says, I also think there was no need to start up this Tebow debate in yet another thread. Albeit, yes, Hawk was clearly trying to focus on Tebow with starting this thread off with 1/3rd of the entire post being about Tebow. Still, Hawk wasn't starting a Tebow debate.

I'm in favor of there being a Tebow sub-forum so that we can keep nonsense like this off the main forum. Then again, if people would stop turning things into a debate every time Tebow or Sanchez is mentioned, this wouldn't even be an issue.
    You are right, I write undercover for the NY Post. You blew my cover.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Well, we can say the kicking competition is all but over. Gotta give props to Folk. Was rooting for Brown, but Folk's been on top of his game big time.
    Big disappointment for me. Folk looks good at the start of every season. He was lights out at the start of 2010, and just as good at the start of '11.

Folk waits for mid-season to start with the let-downs. Remember the momentum-killing miss from 22 yards out against the Pats in game #2? The miss from short distance against the Skins when the Jets were struggling to get points? I was hoping the Jets would move on.

Then again, Folk has hit some big kicks (Indy 2010, Dallas last year). Could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Sorry man .. This dude can play .. Mark needs to start outperforming ... And he needs to start soon.
    Your avatar reminds me of John Clayton and your analysis of Skip Bayless.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Big disappointment for me. Folk looks good at the start of every season. He was lights out at the start of 2010, and just as good at the start of '11.

Folk waits for mid-season to start with the let-downs. Remember the momentum-killing miss from 22 yards out against the Pats in game #2? The miss from short distance against the Skins when the Jets were struggling to get points? I was hoping the Jets would move on.

Then again, Folk has hit some big kicks (Indy 2010, Dallas last year). Could be worse.
    lol @ caring about the kickers.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Hawk was clearly trying to focus on Tebow with starting this thread off with 1/3rd of the entire post being about Tebow. Still, Hawk wasn't starting a Tebow debate.
    No question in my mind it was started to tweak the Tebw detractors.

I highly doubt that the OP would not have started it had it stated that Sanchez outplayed Tebow.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    lol @ caring about the kickers.
    Everyone who watched Doug Brien piss away a sure visit to the AFCCG says hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Sports View Post
    Your avatar reminds me of John Clayton and your analysis of Skip Bayless.
    Dude ... I am far from the Tebow lover Bayless is ... Believe it or not , I really want Mark to end this silly debate ... Really .... Hopefully this will be a good week for him. I'm just trying to be objective between the blind faith club and then reactionary Sanchez defenders.

My avatar is a Burton character btw. Mr Mackey from South Park ... Now that is John Clayton ...

Last edited by Dunnie; 08-12-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Everyone who watched Doug Brien piss away a sure visit to the AFCCG says hello.
    Point taken, but kickers on average aren't all that important.