Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sparano: We pushed around Bengals

Veteran

Sparano: We pushed around Bengals

i guess "pushing" is a lot different then "blocking".

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Tony Sparano is a fiery, no-nonsense kind of guy, but he wasn't breathing fire about the Jets' shaky offensive performance in the preseason opener. Just the opposite, actually.

The offensive coordinator defended the running game and insisted there weren't as many pass-protection issues as the stat sheet suggested. Asked about the breakdowns, Sparano interjected, "Not breakdowns. There was one protection breakdown."

He was referring to a strip sack of Greg McElroy in the fourth quarter, one of five sacks allowed by the Jets.

The starting offensive line didn't generate much in the running game (Shonn Greene was five for 11 yards), but Sparano seemed pleased. He got a little defensive.

"I realize that it was said out there that we didn't push anybody, but I would urge you to pick a phone up and call the people down there and ask them that question," he said, referring to the Bengals. "There were a lot of people pushed."

Other notes from Sparano:

RT Austin Howard, whom Rex Ryan lauded earlier in the day, received a 75-percent grade for the game. Sparano said Howard "played with tremendous power," especially when involved in double-team blocks. Asked if Howard could challenge incumbent Wayne Hunter, Sparano said, "There's competition all over the place right now."

TE Dustin Keller was wide open over the middle on one play, but QB Mark Sanchez couldn't get him the ball because he was under pressure. Sparano said the Bengals "screwed it up somewhere" because they left Keller all alone. Maybe, but the Bengals got away with it because Sanchez was sacked.

Sparano praised QB Tim Tebow, saying he threw his hot routes well. Said Sparano: "I thought he made some good decisions." Sparano said Tebow probably wishes he had one or two "do-overs" (like the interception), but he said Tebow contributed three "explosion" plays -- three runs of 10-plus yards.

What impressed Sparano most about Sanchez was his command of the huddle, his rhythm, his timing throws and his protection calls. Sparano said there were no miscommunications between him and Sanchez. That, he said, was the primary objective for the first game.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...around-bengals

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post

He's got to be kidding. Jets don't need another coach who feeds you a sh!t sandwich and says it tastes like lobster.

If he's already on the defensive with this team we are in for a world of hurt.

Rex is the players coach... let him do the "everything is fine" stuff. That's his strong point.

All Pro
    Oh great, another delusional coach. Earth to Tony: your offense gained 20 yds in the first quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Oh great, another delusional coach. Earth to Tony: your offense gained 20 yds in the first quarter.
    bengals 1st D walloped the jets 1st O

All Pro
    "I realize that it was said out there that we didn't push anybody, but I would urge you to pick a phone up and call the people down there and ask them that question," he said, referring to the Bengals. "There were a lot of people pushed."
    oh and by the way, someone did pick up the phone, Marvin Lewis is on the record with his reaction saying 'what the hell was that offense I've never seen anything like that'. And not in a good way.

All Pro
    WOW.

I am surprised he did not just brush off anything to do with that performance. Couldnt he have just said ... 'I saw a lot of good things for the 1st preseason game' . 'the line play was not as bad as it seemed ...' ?

sparano must be smoking something. the ol was terrible

Maybe he ripped their asses in private but got their back in public, which could be good for trust inside the locker.

Either way it has to get better or this team is 6-10. And the biggest culprit will be mike tannenbaum who thought it would be a good idea to not sign a quality RT in free agency or the draft. And did not think it would be a good idea to add a legitimate RB in free agency or the draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Send him back to the fish and tebow to the broncos and lets start the offseason over

All Pro
    Rex got his clown make up, I guess it will soon be time to give Sparano a fitting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Maybe he ripped their asses in private but got their back in public, which could be good for trust inside the locker.

Either way it has to get better or this team is 6-10. And the biggest culprit will be mike tannenbaum who thought it would be a good idea to not sign a quality RT in free agency or the draft. And did not think it would be a good idea to add a legitimate RB in free agency or the draft.
    there it is

I know this is a dying art (or maybe already deceased), but how about a little context?

He didn't come out boasting about the OL play. He said "I know people are saying we got NO push, but ask them -- people got pushed."

Would you rather agree the line did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING right? Aren't there people on here admitting some of the line actually did better than expected?

This is simply a coach trying to find something positive to build on. I guess he should just spend more time on this site so he'd know the season was already over and not bother trying . . .

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJet View Post
    Send him back to the fish and tebow to the broncos and lets start the offseason over
    yeah. And this time, let's still draft Hill but re-sign guess-who instead of Glass-man at WR.

All League

Jets Insider VIP
    Last year, when the fins were 0-7, what would you of said if I had suggested we hire Tony Sparano as our offensive coordinator?

Because your thoughts then should be the same as your thoughts now about Sparano.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Last year, when the fins were 0-7, what would you of said if I had suggested we hire Tony Sparano as our offensive coordinator?

Because your thoughts then should be the same as your thoughts now about Sparano.
    for me they are. i think it was a bad move. i've never liked him.

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post

It appears that Rex has hired a guy who has absolutely no clue as to what happened on the field. Just unbelievable.