Thread: OK GUYS, RIP IT UP . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

OK GUYS, RIP IT UP . . .

Agreed to be part of a fantasy football league this year, but put NO effort into preparing whatsoever (not enough hours in a day). I have a general idea of FF strategies, but having said that I was pretty much going on general football knowledge (versus actual research).

It's a 12 team league, with 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D/ST, and 5 bench players. The points system is pretty standard.

So, how bad is it?

QB
    -- Matt Schaub
    -- Andy Dalton
    -- Andrew Luck

RB
    -- Ray Rice
    -- Matt Forte
    -- Ryan Matthews
    -- David Wilson

WR
    -- Percy Harvin
    -- Miles Austin
    -- Jeremy Maclin
    -- Demarius Thomas
    -- Stephen Hill (had to)

TE
    -- Fred Davis

K
    -- Dan Bailey

D/ST
    -- Detroit

I know, I know . . . I don't have backups for TE, K, and D/ST. I just didn't see how the backups were going to be any better than someone I could pick up on the waiver wire if necessary. Probably stupid, but experience is the best teacher, right?

It's a just-for-fun league, so there's absolutely NOTHING at stake (but pride). Just curious if I totally blew it, or was at least respectable.

Feel free to rip, but feel freer to give advice if you have any!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    A little injury prone, but the team looks pretty good. You can probably lose one of the QBs eventually as you see how it plays out after a few games. As for another K or D/ST, I always drop the player when is bye week is up and you can usually find a good K and D in the free agent pool for the rest of the season.

As for TE Davis, isn't he suspended the first 4 games?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    A little injury prone, but the team looks pretty good.

Yeah, I figured I'd "shoot the moon" and hope everything falls into place. I actually didn't mean to pick Matthews -- my laptop lost connection and the computer auto-picked him with my 2-22 pick. I was annoyed, but it's a just-for-fun league so I let it go and figured it could help me in the long run. I didn't grab QB until rd 8, so I figured I was actually pretty lucky Schaub was still there. Big Ben went in rd 10 -- would you have gone that route instead?

You can probably lose one of the QBs eventually as you see how it plays out after a few games.

Yeah, I was actually thinking trade bait down the road . . .

As for another K or D/ST, I always drop the player when is bye week is up and you can usually find a good K and D in the free agent pool for the rest of the season.

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking that way!

As for TE Davis, isn't he suspended the first 4 games?

Dude, don't scare me like that! I looked it up and apparently he was suspended the last four games of last year, so I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear.
    I wasn't sure if anyone was going to respond to this, so thanks for the input!
    Last edited by OCCH; 08-13-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Agreed to be part of a fantasy football league this year, but put NO effort into preparing whatsoever (not enough hours in a day). I have a general idea of FF strategies, but having said that I was pretty much going on general football knowledge (versus actual research).

It's a 12 team league, with 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D/ST, and 5 bench players. The points system is pretty standard.

So, how bad is it?

QB
    -- Matt Schaub
    -- Andy Dalton
    -- Andrew Luck

RB
    -- Ray Rice
    -- Matt Forte
    -- Ryan Matthews
    -- David Wilson

WR
    -- Percy Harvin
    -- Miles Austin
    -- Jeremy Maclin
    -- Demarius Thomas
    -- Stephen Hill (had to)

TE
    -- Fred Davis

K
    -- Dan Bailey

D/ST
    -- Detroit

I know, I know . . . I don't have backups for TE, K, and D/ST. I just didn't see how the backups were going to be any better than someone I could pick up on the waiver wire if necessary. Probably stupid, but experience is the best teacher, right?

It's a just-for-fun league, so there's absolutely NOTHING at stake (but pride). Just curious if I totally blew it, or was at least respectable.

Feel free to rip, but feel freer to give advice if you have any!!
    You don't need a backup TE, K, or D. You have a really good team, I think Matthews is going to still have a monster year even though he got hurt. I'll bet you that your team will finish top 3 in points scored (as long as you don't start Hill )

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about the Davis suspension note. didn't mean it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is hard to evaluate a draft without knowing how many teams are in the league. That said your squad is pretty bad unless we are talking a 12-16 team league. The QB position is very weak. You lack depth at WR and RB and TE. Your TE choice is at the bottom of the barrel in terms of startable players. I like Rice and Forte as RB's but the selection of Rice tells me you had a very high starting pick. You don't need two backup QB's. One is plenty. Also you were correct in not grabbing a backup D or K. They are available on waivers if you need them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

So, how bad is it?

QB
    -- Matt Schaub
    -- Andy Dalton
    -- Andrew Luck

RB
    -- Ray Rice
    -- Matt Forte
    -- Ryan Matthews
    -- David Wilson

WR
    -- Percy Harvin
    -- Miles Austin
    -- Jeremy Maclin
    -- Demarius Thomas
    -- Stephen Hill (had to)

TE
    -- Fred Davis

K
    -- Dan Bailey

D/ST
    -- Detroit

That's actually the right choice - and it applies to backup QBs as well. I understand that Luck is a lottery ticket, but will you ever be starting him or Dalton over Schaub? Drop one of them, and pick up a WR or RB who you could actually play one week. You have a nice collection of backs for a 12 team league (Rice and Forte would actually be absurd for a 10 team league; how did you pull that off) but your WRs are only decent to bad.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    That's actually the right choice - and it applies to backup QBs as well. I understand that Luck is a lottery ticket, but will you ever be starting him or Dalton over Schaub? Drop one of them, and pick up a WR or RB who you could actually play one week. You have a nice collection of backs for a 12 team league (Rice and Forte would actually be absurd for a 10 team league; how did you pull that off) but your WRs are only decent to bad.
    Yes, I would like to see the draft results because there are some idiots in this league. Rice and Forte with 12 teams? Can I join too? And let's play for big money

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a 12 team league, and yes we'd get SMOKED by anyone who actually knew what they were doing. I explained in an earlier post that I was "given" Matthews in round 2, so I took Forte in round 3 since I need quality the first month of the season. I'm sure I messed up some people's boards by taking 3 RBs in the first 27 picks, but it is what it is. Hopefully that turns into quality trade bait down the road.

In regards to the 3 QBs, I wasn't too crazy about taking Dalton (sophomore slump) so I figured I'd let the first few weeks play out and then again use one as trade bait (keep the better backup or trade the better one for more in return, depending on if the rest of my team was producing).

By having two backups at QB, RB, and WR I didn't see the benefit of adding another one. Hopefully I can trade for a producer, as there really aren't any UDFAs that jump out (Burleson for Detroit? Jones for GB? These are names I recognize, but seem to be ranked so low by the "experts" that I figured there was stuff I didn't know about them).

Anyway, thanks again for the input. It's not a cash league, so I'm pretty much just trying to not embarrass myself

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this a joke? That team is good as hell for a 12 team league.

Pick up Matthews' backup Curtis Brinkley off waivers. Damarioyous Thomas is going to be studly this year with Peyton.

BTDubs, Detroit Lions face Brian Schitthead's putrid STL offense in Detroit during Week 1. That's a home run for you.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 08-17-2012 at 02:33 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Is this a joke? That team is good as hell for a 12 team league.

Pick up Matthews' backup Curtis Brinkley off waivers. Damarioyous Thomas is going to be studly this year with Peyton.

BTDubs, Detroit Lions face Brian Schitthead's putrid STL offense in Detroit during Week 1. That's a home run for you.
    Thanks for the insight. I understand grabbing Matthews backup, but who do I drop to get him? Wilson? Hill? I know I may be stupid for having 3 QBs, but I like the cushion with Schaub being injury-prone and Dalton being a sophomore.

Any insight would be appreciated . . .

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the insight. I understand grabbing Matthews backup, but who do I drop to get him? Wilson? Hill? I know I may be stupid for having 3 QBs, but I like the cushion with Schaub being injury-prone and Dalton being a sophomore.

Any insight would be appreciated . . .
    Unless there is another FA you really want, you might as well just keep those 3 QBs. Who knows, maybe either Luck or Dalton will step up and have a monster year and then you'll be kicking yourself for adding some bum who might help your team one game. Every year they're always guys that step up out of nowhere to have monster years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j3ts83 View Post
    Unless there is another FA you really want, you might as well just keep those 3 QBs. Who knows, maybe either Luck or Dalton will step up and have a monster year and then you'll be kicking yourself for adding some bum who might help your team one game. Every year they're always guys that step up out of nowhere to have monster years.
    Thanks