Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 102

Thread: McElroy can ball

  1. #1

    McElroy can ball

    Too bad this kid probably won't get a chance ever with our first team. I believe he could start in this league down the road. If he can prove to be durable that is. Something about him. I think he's a baller, accurate, smart and although he doesnt have a big arm, it's adequate.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,592
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    Too bad this kid probably won't get a chance ever with our first team. I believe he could start in this league down the road. If he can prove to be durable that is. Something about him. I think he's a baller, accurate, smart and although he doesnt have a big arm, it's adequate.
    The big knock on McElroy is his arm strength.

    That being said I was very impressed with him last pre-season prior to his injury, no matter how many times he got hit, he kept getting up and never acted jumpy in the pocket.

    The kid is a gamer, decisive with the football & pretty accurate with his throws.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-13-2012 at 07:14 AM.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Iron Throne
    Posts
    2,744
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    Too bad this kid probably won't get a chance ever with our first team. I believe he could start in this league down the road. If he can prove to be durable that is. Something about him. I think he's a baller, accurate, smart and although he doesnt have a big arm, it's adequate.
    Back way from the pipe! The man has a noodle for an arm. Career backup if he is lucky.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Back way from the pipe! The man has a noodle for an arm. Career backup if he is lucky.
    Holy Chaddy cakes Batman..

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Back way from the pipe! The man has a noodle for an arm. Career backup if he is lucky.
    I wouldn't mind a hit or two off the pipe dog, as long as it's just weed......lol...But seriously, I think this kid is gonna fool everybody and shine in the future.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    The big knock on McElroy is his arm strength.

    That being said I was very impressed with him last pre-season prior to his injury, no matter how many times he got hit, he kept getting up and never acted jumpy in the pocket.

    The kid is a gamer, decisive with the football & pretty accurate with his throws.
    I'm not sure the arm strength issue is one he can overcome - some of the throws he made last year made Chad look like Marino. He'd be facing 9 in the box on almost every snap from a good defense and would have to be pinpoint on his downfield throws to have a chance.

    But the rest of your post is dead on - he took some shots last year (and some on Friday) that showed his toughness. He looks the part of a competent backup, and if the Jets had more players that could take short passes and break big gainers, I'd be confident that McElroy could win some games if pressed into duty.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I'm not sure the arm strength issue is one he can overcome - some of the throws he made last year made Chad look like Marino. He'd be facing 9 in the box on almost every snap from a good defense and would have to be pinpoint on his downfield throws to have a chance.

    But the rest of your post is dead on - he took some shots last year (and some on Friday) that showed his toughness. He looks the part of a competent backup, and if the Jets had more players that could take short passes and break big gainers, I'd be confident that McElroy could win some games if pressed into duty.
    He will do well in the right system. Joe Montana didn't have a big arm either. Now i'm not comparing the kid to Montana so don't go there...lol...just that you don't need a cannon to be a winner. I'm sure he will put on some size as he matures and increase his arm strength some. Just a feeling i have about this kid. But you know how it goes for us Jet fans, he'll go somewhere else and tear it up later...lol

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    great midwest -well not so great
    Posts
    9,111
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    he'll go somewhere else and tear it up later...lol
    no, no he won't.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Back way from the pipe! The man has a noodle for an arm. Career backup if he is lucky.
    How come on Sunday in Cortland he winged two passes that went over 40 yards? One went nearly 60 for a TD! They were against our #1 defense too. Its easy to label someone but its another thing to actually know what you are talking about with so little information available. Lets let the guy play and then we shall see what is the truth. He did win an SEC Championship! He worked awfullt hard in the off-season to enhance his arm strength. Seems that Sanchez did too. Of course, we can all refer to the comments about Brady's weak arm when he came out of college. Not making a comparision between Brady and McElroy so do not go there please! But it seems to have worked out OK for Brady don't you think?
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 08-13-2012 at 02:13 PM.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    no, no he won't.
    do you have crystal balls?

  11. #11
    If Sanchez gets hurt, a real possibility with the current Oline, I'd love to see him come in with Tebow as the 3rd option if it doesn't work out.

  12. #12
    same thing every few years with our 3rd string QB...

    Brooks Bollinger, "Start the Rat!", Erik Ainge, now McElroy.


    same story, different scrub.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Back way from the pipe! The man has a noodle for an arm. Career backup if he is lucky.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    He did win an SEC Championship! He worked awfullt hard in the off-season to enhance his arm strength.
    He was a Smart QB with a weak arm prior to ripping it. The odds of any QB or pitcher making it back to full strength, much less more strength is minimal. I'm a homer and love the kid, but it will take longer than 1 year to rebuild the arm completely and we have better options as it stands.

  15. #15
    I like his accuracy, hits receivers in full stride. There’s also a command and fluidity to his game.

    Very smart, I see a bit of Phil Simms in him and a guy who can get hot at times.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    same thing every few years with our 3rd string QB...

    Brooks Bollinger, "Start the Rat!", Erik Ainge, now McElroy.


    same story, different scrub.
    Did any of those " SCRUBS" ever win a SEC Championship? Have you ever watched SEC football? They field some very, very tough defenses. I would not be so quick as to write McElroy off as you did. I'd suggest you do some research into his career and you might be surprised. In any event I hope the guy gets a chance to play with the starters to show what he really can do against our opponents #1's.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post
    He was a Smart QB with a weak arm prior to ripping it. The odds of any QB or pitcher making it back to full strength, much less more strength is minimal. I'm a homer and love the kid, but it will take longer than 1 year to rebuild the arm completely and we have better options as it stands.
    His arm seems much stronger this preseason then last preseason! How long did it take Brady to strengthen his arm? McElroy broke his thumb hitting it on a helmet and did not rip his arm with us last year.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Iron Throne
    Posts
    2,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Back way from the pipe! The man has a noodle for an arm. Career backup if he is lucky.
    BTW - I hope that I am wrong. He seems like a good guy.

    Last year, I went to training camp and watched him throw with Sanchize and Brunnell.

    While Sanchize and Brunnell had similar zip on every throw, McElroy's balls left his hand a touch slower and took longer to get to the receiver.

  19. #19
    In the right offense he could be a competent starting QB. Something that didn't require a big arm such as a WCO with some speedy guys to make YAC. He's tough, a good leader and has lots of experience from a top college program - there's much to like about him.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    How come on Sunday in Cortland he winged two passes that went over 40 yards? One went nearly 60 for a TD! They were against our #1 defense too. Its easy to label someone but its another thing to actually know what you are talking about with so little information available. Lets let the guy play and then we shall see what is the truth. He did win an SEC Championship! He worked awfullt hard in the off-season to enhance his arm strength. Seems that Sanchez did too. Of course, we can all refer to the comments about Brady's weak arm when he came out of college. Not making a comparision between Brady and McElroy so do not go there please! But it seems to have worked out OK for Brady don't you think?
    Agreed. This dude has the smarts and intangibles - proven winner in college. It's common sense that an NFL training and conditioning program would improve one's strength and polish one's abilities yet the fatalistic doom and gloomers would argue the contrary. WTF man. He's highly motivated and showing his abilities in TC, even Semen-i lauded his beautiful throws and arm strength in camp.

    The only criticism of him is to know when to keep his mouth shut. Prolly someone gave him a talking to over that. Evidently the management thought enough of him to retain despite his media outburst. One would think they are best positioned to gauge talent.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us