Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: McElroy can ball

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Jamelle Holliway won the National Championship as a true freshman and was a better runner than Tebow.

He was awesome as a pro.

_
    Tony Rice, Craig Krenzel, Chris Weinke, Ken Dorsey, Josh Heupel, Vince Young.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Did any of those " SCRUBS" ever win a SEC Championship? Have you ever watched SEC football? They field some very, very tough defenses. I would not be so quick as to write McElroy off as you did. I'd suggest you do some research into his career and you might be surprised. In any event I hope the guy gets a chance to play with the starters to show what he really can do against our opponents #1's.
    Let me guess, you're a Florida, Alabama or Georgia guy?

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Let me guess, you're a Florida, Alabama or Georgia guy?
    Seeing the name, I'd think he was a Kentucky guy. Yeah, they play football at Kentucky, not just basketball

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    same thing every few years with our 3rd string QB...

Brooks Bollinger, "Start the Rat!", Erik Ainge, now McElroy.

same story, different scrub.
    Correct, McElroy doesn't stand a chance over a sixteen game season. Matt Flynn who's got a better arm than McElroy lost to Wilson, partly because of his lack of arm strength.

We stick with Sanchez; that's it.

Rat/Clemens?Ainge

Seriously, I think McElory is better than all of them and should really be the #2 qb on the depth chart over God-boy.

THREE WAY QB CONTROVERSEY

Every NFL analyst I've heard speaks highly of him. Gruden really sang his praises. He's a winner. Word is that arm strength improved this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    The big knock on McElroy is his arm strength.

That being said I was very impressed with him last pre-season prior to his injury, no matter how many times he got hit, he kept getting up and never acted jumpy in the pocket.

The kid is a gamer, decisive with the football & pretty accurate with his throws.
    I stand by this previous post.....

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I stand by this previous post.....
    Couldn't agree with you more!

However here was an out he threw last night that I could not help being reminded by Pennington ... Had hat been a first string defense .... Probably a pick.

All League
    Kellen Moore was something like 50-3 at Boise State. Didn't get drafted and won't become a star in the NFL for the same reason McElroy wont become a star for the Jets.

Casey Keenum passed for 5,000 yards three times.

While Moxy and heart is important, NFL QB's need a basic amount of size, arm strenght, and accuracy.

McElroy is barely big enough, has good accuracy, but lacks enough arm strenght to thrive in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Kellen Moore was something like 50-3 at Boise State. Didn't get drafted and won't become a star in the NFL for the same reason McElroy wont become a star for the Jets.

Casey Keenum passed for 5,000 yards three times.

While Moxy and heart is important, NFL QB's need a basic amount of size, arm strenght, and accuracy.

McElroy is barely big enough, has good accuracy, but lacks enough arm strenght to thrive in the NFL.
    Just for the record, McElroy is 6'2 225 lbs. Almost the exact size that Matt Barkley will be coming out as the #1 pick in the draft this year.

Im not comparing their ability or arm strength, and there are definitely reasons mcelroy could struggle in the NFL, but I really dont think size is one of them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    He will do well in the right system. Joe Montana didn't have a big arm either. Now i'm not comparing the kid to Montana so don't go there...lol...just that you don't need a cannon to be a winner. I'm sure he will put on some size as he matures and increase his arm strength some. Just a feeling i have about this kid. But you know how it goes for us Jet fans, he'll go somewhere else and tear it up later...lol
    Did Brady have the same arm strength in 2000 that he had in 2007?

Does anyone know?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Just for the record, McElroy is 6'2 225 lbs. Almost the exact size that Matt Barkley will be coming out as the #1 pick in the draft this year.

Im not comparing their ability or arm strength, and there are definitely reasons mcelroy could struggle in the NFL, but I really dont think size is one of them.
    True. His size is not an issue at all.

Everyone loves the back up QB until they have to actually play in real games, then most of the time the reasons why they are back ups become evident.

i think the real controversy is if sanchez goes down and tebow stinks, and they experiment with mcelroy and he does well. he definitely understands how to play the position.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think the real controversy is if sanchez goes down and tebow stinks, and they experiment with mcelroy and he does well. he definitely understands how to play the position.
    I was going to write this earlier but wanted to avoid another bringing out the ridiculousness, but if sanchez were to go down, I think we would be much better off with mcelroy taking the majority of the snaps and continuing to use tebow with the zone/read plays.

Tebow just cant do enough for an offense at this point and mcelroy seems like he can be a servicable game manager....

If this team was actually built to run the ball with authority, McElroy very well could be the best guy on the roster for the starting job. He's a game manager, won't make mental mistakes and will take what the defense gives + understands how to play qb better than anyone else on the roster.

This is what the Jets are trying make Mark Sanchez into, a role he's not good at.
    He needs to attack defenses, not sit back and be a game manager.
    With that approach, defenses will stack the line and he'll turn the ball over too much and not make enough big plays.

I think with Mark, you gotta unleash him and take the good with the bad.

As it stands, the Jets can't run the ball, so McElroy would have a lot of problems...

I do like him though, I remember Sports Science did a segment that tested him on his reaction time: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6355292

Really cool.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by InsideBlitz View Post
    THREE WAY QB CONTROVERSEY
    Does anyone know McElroy's views on, well you know, on the man upstairs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Did Brady have the same arm strength in 2000 that he had in 2007?

Does anyone know?
    Brady's arm is much stronger now than it was when he came out of college, but his arm strength was never a red flag like it was with McElroy.

Brady was a string bean when he came out. He was 6'4" 200lbs or something like that. He put on 25-30lbs of muscle and his arm strength improved. McElroy is already at a pretty good weight for a guy his size.

Cutler, Romo, Sanchez, and McElroy are all about the same size (6'2" 225-230lbs). Cutler's arm is way stronger than Romo's and Sanchez's whose arms are much stronger than McElroy. Michael Vick is 6'0" 210lbs, and he might have a stronger arm than any of them. Some guys just have the "golden arm."

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Standing next to Sanchize and Brunnell at training camp last year, McElroy looked small. He is at least 2 inches shorter than Sancize, but is probably "barely" big enough to succeed. Short QB's are not automatic fails -> Russell Wilson.

In terms of Automatic Failures at the QB position:
    1) No Heart
    2) No Brains
    3) Not good "enough" accuracy
    4) Not good "enough" arm strenght - Quick release and velocity on the throw.

McElroy clearly has plenty of heart and brains. His accuracy is pretty good (Probably better than Sanchize's).

BUT - a QB who cannot make "ALL" the throws cannot make it long term in the NFL. Montana never had Elway's cannon, but could make all the throws. Brady doesn't have Cutler's cannon, but makes all the throws. Although they didn't have strong arms, Montana and Brady have "good enough" arms and great accuracy.

Unfortunately, McElroy doesn't have enough arm. The fact that he is a "plus" player at the other 3 factors cannot cover that up.
    Last edited by Digetydog; 08-31-2012 at 10:52 AM.