Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 102

Thread: McElroy can ball

  1. #61
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,231
    McElroy this preseason and last preseason has looked like the prototype of a "game manager" on the field. Will take care of the football, very cerebral in running the offense, moves the chains, very poised in the pocket, wont force the bad throw, etc.

    All jokes aside I really think McElroy should be the backup QB behind Mark and not Tebow. I'm not hating on Tebow, but I don't think our #2 should be on special teams, and being a "football player". I wish we could carry 4 QB's.

  2. #62
    This is a make or break season for the entire team, coaching staff and GM.

    The team should and must play Sanchez until the season is at the brink. At that point all bets are off, especially if QB play and pick 6's are still a part of the problem.

    What can't be argued is that McElroy has gotten the job done everywhere he's played. If the guys on the depth chart above him are not getting the job done for any reason at all, the team must give him the ball to see what he's got.

    Nobody will know if he can be the next Brady, Chad or Ainge unless he plays.

    BTW Chad's results don't seem so bad right now. With our defense, we could use a game manager more than a game gambler.

    McElroy needs to shut up and develop a rapport with the 2nd team receivers, so when and if he gets his chance, he's ready. Odds are 50/50 he does IMO. Both Sanchez and Tebow have way too many brain farts.

  3. #63
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,810
    Quote Originally Posted by cornjulio21 View Post
    This is a make or break season for the entire team, coaching staff and GM.

    The team should and must play Sanchez until the season is at the brink. At that point all bets are off, especially if QB play and pick 6's are still a part of the problem.

    What can't be argued is that McElroy has gotten the job done everywhere he's played. If the guys on the depth chart above him are not getting the job done for any reason at all, the team must give him the ball to see what he's got.

    Nobody will know if he can be the next Brady, Chad or Ainge unless he plays.

    BTW Chad's results don't seem so bad right now. With our defense, we could use a game manager more than a game gambler.

    McElroy needs to shut up and develop a rapport with the 2nd team receivers, so when and if he gets his chance, he's ready. Odds are 50/50 he does IMO. Both Sanchez and Tebow have way too many brain farts.
    CJ as usual with a well-reasoned, articulate post. Nice job!

  4. #64
    He's not a franchise QB but he is a very good game manager and I think he can be a good backup in this league. He should be backing up Sanchez.

  5. #65
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    I have reluctantly accepted the fact that Tebow is here and will be used, but I truly hope it's minimal--3 or 4 surprise snaps a game. I get it, he'll "make some playsblahblahblah" and "how can you not be happy with a guy that is going to make playsblahblahblah" and "he can get a first downblahblahblah".

    But he can not-- CAN NOT-- throw the ball and therefore he can't lead an NFL offense for a full game of 50 or 60 or 70 plays. Can't do it, not in today's NFL--you can't run that much wildcat/spread option. I don't care what type of superman you think he is, he's not equipped to run a conventional NFL offense (and I think the folks suggesting nobody has ever tried THIS before are just being intentionally nave).

    Having said that, I truly think McElroy should and would be the true "back-up" in the event Sanchez goes down. But that's all he is, a back-up, a true game manager.

    So I respectfully have to take issue with folks here suggesting that his winning championship heritage in the SEC and the NCAA means ANYTHING today, in the NFL.

    He played for Alabama for crissakes. Possibly the greatest defensive powerhouse in college football in the last decade with TWO legit first round NFL super-star running backs.

    It's like saying Bill Wennington won all those NBA championships, so he's a winner.

    Or maybe we should sign Alabama's punter from that championship team because he's done nothing but win.

    McElroy is a nice player, but he's not a long term NFL answer.

    He's a career backup.

    _

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I have reluctantly accepted the fact that Tebow is here and will be used, but I truly hope it's minimal--3 or 4 surprise snaps a game. I get it, he'll "make some playsblahblahblah" and "how can you not be happy with a guy that is going to make playsblahblahblah" and "he can get a first downblahblahblah".

    But he can not-- CAN NOT-- throw the ball and therefore he can't lead an NFL offense for a full game of 50 or 60 or 70 plays. Can't do it, not in today's NFL--you can't run that much wildcat/spread option. I don't care what type of superman you think he is, he's not equipped to run a conventional NFL offense (and I think the folks suggesting nobody has ever tried THIS before are just being intentionally nave).

    Having said that, I truly think McElroy should and would be the true "back-up" in the event Sanchez goes down. But that's all he is, a back-up, a true game manager.

    So I respectfully have to take issue with folks here suggesting that his winning championship heritage in the SEC and the NCAA means ANYTHING today, in the NFL.

    He played for Alabama for crissakes. Possibly the greatest defensive powerhouse in college football in the last decade with TWO legit first round NFL super-star running backs.

    It's like saying Bill Wennington won all those NBA championships, so he's a winner.

    Or maybe we should sign Alabama's punter from that championship team because he's done nothing but win.

    McElroy is a nice player, but he's not a long term NFL answer.

    He's a career backup.

    _
    That's pretty much all that needs to be said.

  7. #67
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    That's pretty much all that needs to be said.
    I was going to say more but I didn't want to offend the ADHD crowd here on the Pfail Strip.

    Btw, not sure any of these kids know who Bill Wennington played with.

    _

  8. #68
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    lol @ this thread title

  9. #69
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    well I'm glad this so called "career backup" is on the team....if Sanchez went down this kid could move the offense.....he only played for alabama and lost no games.



    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Back way from the pipe! The man has a noodle for an arm. Career backup if he is lucky.

  10. #70
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    If sanchez ever got hurt I guarantee you that McElroy would get the nod....tebow is good but he is just a situational QB....his style would not cut it for long as a starter.


    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    McElroy this preseason and last preseason has looked like the prototype of a "game manager" on the field. Will take care of the football, very cerebral in running the offense, moves the chains, very poised in the pocket, wont force the bad throw, etc.

    All jokes aside I really think McElroy should be the backup QB behind Mark and not Tebow. I'm not hating on Tebow, but I don't think our #2 should be on special teams, and being a "football player". I wish we could carry 4 QB's.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    If sanchez ever got hurt I guarantee you that McElroy would get the nod....tebow is good but he is just a situational QB....his style would not cut it for long as a starter.

  12. #72
    If Sanchez goes down you want a guy who's going to come in and not **** things up. A game manager like McElroy is perfect in that role.

    McElroy can step in for a half, even a game or two if necessary and just move the offense along while the D keeps us in the games. That's what you want from a backup QB.

    If Sanchez goes on IR then there are obviously much bigger issues for the team.

  13. #73
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    well I'm glad this so called "career backup" is on the team....if Sanchez went down this kid could move the offense.....he only played for alabama and lost no games.
    Is he bringing Trent Richardson and Mark Ingram and the entire 2009 Tide defense with him (including Courtney Upshaw, Mark Barron, Dont'a Hightower, Terrence Cody, Cory Reamer and Rolando McClain)?

    And I'm a little fuzzy on people that keep repeating that he "lost no games" at Alabama.

    Other than the 3 lost as a senior, right?

    College DOESN'T matter.

    _

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I have reluctantly accepted the fact that Tebow is here and will be used, but I truly hope it's minimal--3 or 4 surprise snaps a game. I get it, he'll "make some playsblahblahblah" and "how can you not be happy with a guy that is going to make playsblahblahblah" and "he can get a first downblahblahblah".

    But he can not-- CAN NOT-- throw the ball and therefore he can't lead an NFL offense for a full game of 50 or 60 or 70 plays. Can't do it, not in today's NFL--you can't run that much wildcat/spread option. I don't care what type of superman you think he is, he's not equipped to run a conventional NFL offense (and I think the folks suggesting nobody has ever tried THIS before are just being intentionally nave).

    Having said that, I truly think McElroy should and would be the true "back-up" in the event Sanchez goes down. But that's all he is, a back-up, a true game manager.

    So I respectfully have to take issue with folks here suggesting that his winning championship heritage in the SEC and the NCAA means ANYTHING today, in the NFL.

    He played for Alabama for crissakes. Possibly the greatest defensive powerhouse in college football in the last decade with TWO legit first round NFL super-star running backs.

    It's like saying Bill Wennington won all those NBA championships, so he's a winner.

    Or maybe we should sign Alabama's punter from that championship team because he's done nothing but win.

    McElroy is a nice player, but he's not a long term NFL answer.

    He's a career backup.

    _
    +1.


    As usual, you are spot on. Where I disagree with you is your unfair attack on SJU legend Bill Wennington. Without him, the Bulls don't have 6 rings. Shame on you speaking that way of one of the NBA's best big men EVER! Go squeeze another orange.

  15. #75
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,454
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Is he bringing Trent Richardson and Mark Ingram and the entire 2009 Tide defense with him (including Courtney Upshaw, Mark Barron, Dont'a Hightower, Terrence Cody, Cory Reamer and Rolando McClain)?

    And I'm a little fuzzy on people that keep repeating that he "lost no games" at Alabama.

    Other than the 3 lost as a senior, right?

    College DOESN'T matter.

    _
    Dont forget Julio Jones. People want to discredit Sanchez by saying he was "along for the ride" his first two years, but then want to use McElroy's success at Alabama as "proof" he can play in the NFL.

  16. #76
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Dont forget Julio Jones. People want to discredit Sanchez by saying he was "along for the ride" his first two years, but then want to use McElroy's success at Alabama as "proof" he can play in the NFL.
    Again, he's the perfect back-up game manager.

    He's not a franchise guy because he "led the Tide to the Championship and never lost any games at Alabama".

    That's just stupid.

    _

  17. #77
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,123
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post

    College DOESN'T matter.

    _
    Except for when we need to use the lack of college experience as an excuse.


  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Except for when we need to use the lack of college experience as an excuse.

    Pretty sure they mean the wins and such don't matter; not the experience.

    Shame on anyone who thinks experience doesn't matter.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Again, he's the perfect back-up game manager.

    He's not a franchise guy because he "led the Tide to the Championship and never lost any games at Alabama".

    That's just stupid.

    _
    And yet sanchez with a top notch D, oline and running game 'lead' the jets to two afc title games.

    In any case the jets need to worry a lot more about sanchez than either tebow or anyone else. They will sink or swim with their starter.

  20. #80
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    And yet sanchez with a top notch D, oline and running game 'lead' the jets to two afc title games.

    In any case the jets need to worry a lot more about sanchez than either tebow or anyone else. They will sink or swim with their starter.
    On queue, one of the Sanchez haters emerges to try and derail a thread about any quarterback OTHER than Sanchez.

    Good job.

    _

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us