Thread: Analysis of Demario Davis

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Analysis of Demario Davis

One of the most exciting and intriguing additions to the New York Jets this year is third-round pick Demario Davis, an inside linebacker from Arkansas State.

The Jets are hoping that the fast, athletic linebacker can contribute right away on special teams and sub-packages, all the while developing into Bart Scott's eventual replacement as the full-time inside linebacker next to David Harris.

While Davis' athleticism and explosive play is certainly enticing, there are several weaknesses in his game that he must overcome before he can be considered a full-time starter. (After all, if he did not have any flaws, he would have been a first-round pick.)

Weakness

Davis plays with a relentless motor and incredible explosion, which actually can have a negative impact on his game. Davis is so fast and quick to react that he can actually overrun his assignment and wind up in the wrong spot.

While at some times he is indecisive, he can sometimes be too decisive as well. As NFL.com's scouting report puts it:

Davis needs to gather better when running down plays from the inside-out. He is so fast that he can overrun guys at times and fly off them as his momentum takes him outside on a tackle. Against one-cut runners at the NFL level, he could have a tough time gathering to make a secure tackle on the run.

Just imagine being a young linebacker like Davis: The ball is snapped, and the hole for the running back opens up. Davis, with his tremendous explosion and speed, is in the hole as soon as it opens. Problem is, the runner isn't even there! He's actually on the other side of the field after making his cut to the backside block, and Davis is out of position.

Stretch run plays provide a perfect example of this as they can be either a stretch to the outside or a cut up the middle—all depending on what the fullback does and what the runner views as his best option.

Davis struggles when he sees the hole and immediately reacts; a tendency that is certain to get you out of position in the NFL.

How to fix it

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for this kind of mental issue. Coming from a smaller school at Arkansas State, Davis was able to get away with using his incredible athleticism, able to make up for mistakes with his physical prowess.

In the NFL, the game is so much faster than the college game that it is a huge jump for even the top Division I linebackers to adjust to. Defenders see run concepts that are far more advanced and faster than anything they have seen at the college level.

In addition, many teams are trending toward using zone-blocking schemes to adapt to "one-cut" runners. Rarely do teams simply line up and try to gain yards with brute force; offenses such as Houston's and Washington's add a level of complexity to the game to throw defenses off.

The good news is that this is not a physical issue; Davis has all of the tools and athletic prowess to get the job done. However, this is not a quick-fix technique issue either; having a knack for knowing when to act and where to be as a linebacker is not a trait that comes with a few weeks of practice. Davis is going to have to go through some growing pains.

So, how then do the Jets go about making Davis a more efficient linebacker?

While training camp is where Davis is going to get most of his work in, preseason will be crucial for Davis. In preseason, Davis will be tested under the bright lights; conditions in which weaknesses are highlighted.

Even if it may cost the Jets a few extra yards, Rex Ryan would be wise to give him at least a few reps with the first team. Davis needs to get accustomed to playing against opposing offenses that are of the starting-caliber. In particular, Davis would benefit greatly from finding quick, elusive runners like Ahmad Bradshaw behind an NFL offensive line.

When will Davis be able to start?

When discussing the potential of a small-school prospect like Davis, it is almost impossible to tell just how quickly a player will adapt to the NFL. While it would make sense to say that all small-school prospects will experience a steep increase in competition that will stunt their development, there are always exceptions.

Take DeMarcus Ware, a Troy product, who nabbed eight sacks in his rookie season. This is not to say that Davis will be the next DeMarcus Ware, but it is important not to assume all small-school prospects will struggle early on.

However, Davis' issues with instincts is not an easily coachable issue to fix. In fact, some will argue that instincts cannot be coached; they can only be gained by experience.

What Davis does have on his side is tremendous dedication and work ethic. He has been willing to work with linebackers coach Bob Sutton on days off. His veteran-like attitude and putting in extra time is only going to help Davis overcome his deficiencies even faster.

As a result, while Davis' skills are certainly exciting and he could certainly develop into a quality player, Jets fans need to tame their expectations for the former Red Wolf and allow him enough time to adjust to the pro game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Post..... Thanks

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you wrote that, you should give at least some credit to the author.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Unless you wrote that, you should give at least some credit to the author.
    Sorry Mom

Its from Bleacher Report, didnt know i had to source my posts.

Thanks for adding to the discussion though

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Sorry Mom

Its from Bleacher Report, didnt know i had to source my posts.

Thanks for adding to the discussion though
    Guess that makes two of us since you didn't add anything to the discussion either...

I mean, unless you count plagiarism.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Guess that makes two of us since you didn't add anything to the discussion either...

I mean, unless you count plagiarism.
    Pwnage!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess I didn't add anything either.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-13-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... good info, thx! ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not post the link--no need to cut and paste it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Why not post the link--no need to cut and paste it.
    Ive seen people respond that they cant open things and ask if people can post the words.

Do you really think i was passing off an article as my own words???????????? For what gain, so other anonymous posters like it?

Geezus, it was a good article and had videos in it which made it difficult to post in its entirety, so i cut and pasted the text.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy can be all world and Rex will not start him. He is a creature of habit and will fall back into his crappy habits. He will start the older, more experienced, slower, less talented players(the player he's comfortable with), instead of developing new younger, faster players. It would mean he would have to actually coach and develop talent. I can't wait till they get rid of this crappy core of over rated/paid, under achievers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Ive seen people respond that they cant open things and ask if people can post the words.

Do you really think i was passing off an article as my own words???????????? For what gain, so other anonymous posters like it?

Geezus, it was a good article and had videos in it which made it difficult to post in its entirety, so i cut and pasted the text.....
    I wasn't trying to even be a doosh. I probably could have written my initial remark better but I was simply trying to find out who wrote it. Cutting and pasting the author just help.

I always prefer that somebody post the whole article. I just like to know who wrote it. And I figured you didn't write it but wasn't positive. The source just helps the reader to see any bias, one way or another.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The standard thing is to post the text *and* the link.

Especially if the link has videos!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    This guy can be all world and Rex will not start him. He is a creature of habit and will fall back into his crappy habits. He will start the older, more experienced, slower, less talented players(the player he's comfortable with), instead of developing new younger, faster players. It would mean he would have to actually coach and develop talent. I can't wait till they get rid of this crappy core of over rated/paid, under achievers.
    How do you know this? We never had any faster linebackers on this staff before.