Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 08/13 Jets Info

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it seems like your implying the Jets safties don't participate in 7 on 7. If so, that's the craziest 7 on 7 ever.
    The safeties in 7 x 7 might as well be CBs,because it's man vs man .A true safety plays a zone,and attacks what strolls into that zone.

To my understanding,7 x 7 means 7 offensive skill plays vs 7 defensive skill players.Maybe i was the crazy wrong one.

[QUOTE=SMC;4547185]I don't care if this "goes on for another 3 weeks." That was NEVER my point.

B]
    The reason why Tim Tebow is not the starting QB of the Denver Broncos or the starting QB of the NY Jets right now is because he doesn't pass like at least an average NFL QB.[/[/B]QUOTE]

Wait, what did Tebow's previous team think of his QB ability? Oh, they dumped him for a mid round pick and spent $95 million on the position. Guess they didnt think he simply needed time to develop.

As a situational player Tebow will be excellent for us. As a full time QB, our ceiling will be 6 wins, oh and the Pats will beat us 35-0 both times we play.

Jets Insider VIP

ďI donít know, itís fun,Ē said Cromartie. ďItís just an opportunity to get the balls in your hands. Itís just another challenge.Ē

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Depends on what you consider "wildcat". Cam was very successful running a read option last year and he can certainly throw it.

thank you.

this is what I was trying to point out to patman who seems to think stopping Tebow will be easy because the offense is in a certain formation.

Vrentas: Jets unveil 'Wildcat'-type formation at practice

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The Jets quarterbacks evaded and eluded and passed their late-morning test with flying colors -- and we're not talking about on the field.

On the first day the Jets installed and repped their highly anticipated Wildcat-type plays in front of the media on the practice field, mum was the word.

Coach Rex Ryan has made no secret of the fact that the Jets will use a Wildcat-type package this season, taking advantage of the unique skill set Tim Tebow brings to the team. But as for the specifics? No one wants to say too much.

Here's what we know: Jets players found out they were going to run Wildcat-type plays in today's practice during meetings last night. Some of the plays were new, but others they had seen before, Tebow said.

The offense went through the plays in a brief walk-through period, then repped them against the first-team defense in the 11-on-11 team period.

And, after the media left the practice field, the offense did a bonus walk-through, the contents of which were unknown.

"Itís part of our scheme and strategy," starting quarterback Mark Sanchez said. "Can't divulge those details."

The Jets ran the plays in front of the media, but per the team's rules for access to practice, reporters are not permitted to report specifics about formations or personnel deployment. Today's practice was closed to the public, likely not coincidental timing.

Offensive coordinator Tony Sparano is known for keeping his plans close to the vest.

"He's just a smart coach, and he is someone that has been around for a awhile and been doing this a while," Tebow said. "He just wants it to be something we know, we understand (crisply), but not something we are always talking about."

Sanchez's line was to defer to Sparano when asked on several topics: If today's work was similar to what the Jets previously did with Brad Smith, what install number they were on today or if he has watched film of Sparano's previous work with the Wildcat starting in 2008 with the Dolphins.

When asked what the penalty is for divulging details, Sanchez said, "I don't know. I was happy with practice, thought we looked good."

Both Sanchez and Tebow did speak on the viability of the Wildcat as a weapon in the NFL.

"I think it could be a weapon," Sanchez said. "You run it the right way like Coach Sparano will do, we can be explosive with it. We have some great athletes and we want to use all their talents."

Sanchez said he's putting his trust in Sparano to brainstorm and deploy such plays in the most potent way possible. He indicated that the players don't yet know all of Sparano's ideas.

"He's confident in the scheme. He really does have a plan for this team," Sanchez said. "You know heís got a good plan for this team, and you really want to trust him and know he really does have this thing mapped out pretty well, farther than we can even imagine."

Tebow called today's practice "fun." He said the team executed its plays well during the entire practice, both during and after the Wildcat period.

"We donít even know really what our game plans are yet," Tebow said.

"Weíre just trying to execute the plays they call. Hopefully I can add something to this team, I feel like thatís why I'm here. But whatever I can do to help, Iím going to do it with all my heart."

When asked if he's ever been around something so shrouded in secrecy, Tebow quipped, "I also don't know if I've ever seen this much interest."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._wildcat-.html

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Jets offense did a bonus walk-through after the media left the field. Contents unknown

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I've just got to ask... why do you keep bringing up 60% as the number Tebow needs to reach? You do realize that Sanchez has never been close to that in his career, don't you?

If Tebow is a 60% passer, Sanchez is on the 1st train out of town and the Jets would be serious title contenders. But he isn't and neither is #6. Both guys have serious flaws and must improve if this team is going anywhere.
    I'm glad you asked that, Mike. The answer is simple--number of passing opportunities.

Base on Tebow's style of play, the offense would do more running than passing because he would scramble more. As such, Tebow would have less opportunities to pass the ball.

As such, Tebow has to maximize those passes. He did that at UF where he had a career completion percentage of 64% and 70% in his senior year. That's why the spread option worked so well.

It's the difference between completing 7 of 15 attempts and 10 of 15.

A QB like Sanchez needs to get to 60% as well, but it is not as dire because he has more attempts than a Tebow-like QB. If both Sanchez and Tebow are at 50%, but Sanchez attempts 10 more throws, that's 5 extra completions.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The Jets quarterbacks evaded and eluded and passed their late-morning test with flying colors -- and we're not talking about on the field.

On the first day the Jets installed and repped their highly anticipated Wildcat-type plays in front of the media on the practice field, mum was the word.

Coach Rex Ryan has made no secret of the fact that the Jets will use a Wildcat-type package this season, taking advantage of the unique skill set Tim Tebow brings to the team. But as for the specifics? No one wants to say too much.

Here's what we know: Jets players found out they were going to run Wildcat-type plays in today's practice during meetings last night. Some of the plays were new, but others they had seen before, Tebow said.

The offense went through the plays in a brief walk-through period, then repped them against the first-team defense in the 11-on-11 team period.

And, after the media left the practice field, the offense did a bonus walk-through, the contents of which were unknown.

"Itís part of our scheme and strategy," starting quarterback Mark Sanchez said. "Can't divulge those details."

The Jets ran the plays in front of the media, but per the team's rules for access to practice, reporters are not permitted to report specifics about formations or personnel deployment. Today's practice was closed to the public, likely not coincidental timing.

Offensive coordinator Tony Sparano is known for keeping his plans close to the vest.

"He's just a smart coach, and he is someone that has been around for a awhile and been doing this a while," Tebow said. "He just wants it to be something we know, we understand (crisply), but not something we are always talking about."

Sanchez's line was to defer to Sparano when asked on several topics: If today's work was similar to what the Jets previously did with Brad Smith, what install number they were on today or if he has watched film of Sparano's previous work with the Wildcat starting in 2008 with the Dolphins.

When asked what the penalty is for divulging details, Sanchez said, "I don't know. I was happy with practice, thought we looked good."

Both Sanchez and Tebow did speak on the viability of the Wildcat as a weapon in the NFL.

"I think it could be a weapon," Sanchez said. "You run it the right way like Coach Sparano will do, we can be explosive with it. We have some great athletes and we want to use all their talents."

Sanchez said he's putting his trust in Sparano to brainstorm and deploy such plays in the most potent way possible. He indicated that the players don't yet know all of Sparano's ideas.

"He's confident in the scheme. He really does have a plan for this team," Sanchez said. "You know heís got a good plan for this team, and you really want to trust him and know he really does have this thing mapped out pretty well, farther than we can even imagine."

Tebow called today's practice "fun." He said the team executed its plays well during the entire practice, both during and after the Wildcat period.

"We donít even know really what our game plans are yet," Tebow said.

"Weíre just trying to execute the plays they call. Hopefully I can add something to this team, I feel like thatís why I'm here. But whatever I can do to help, Iím going to do it with all my heart."

When asked if he's ever been around something so shrouded in secrecy, Tebow quipped, "I also don't know if I've ever seen this much interest."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._wildcat-.html
    I'm a conspiracy theorist at heart, is it possible that there may have been at least one Boston reporter there?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I'm glad you asked that, Mike. The answer is simple--number of passing opportunities.

Base on Tebow's style of play, the offense would do more running than passing because he would scramble more. As such, Tebow would have less opportunities to pass the ball.

As such, Tebow has to maximize those passes. He did that at UF where he had a career completion percentage of 64% and 70% in his senior year. That's why the spread option worked so well.

It's the difference between completing 7 of 15 attempts and 10 of 15.

A QB like Sanchez needs to get to 60% as well, but it is not as dire because he has more attempts than a Tebow-like QB. If both Sanchez and Tebow are at 50%, but Sanchez attempts 10 more throws, that's 5 extra completions.
    I think this is a complete fallacy, sorry. Opportunity and attempts has nothing to do with it IMO.

Partially because Tebow can run it and pick up additional yards and 1st downs that way, but mostly because he turns the ball over far less than Sanchez does. That's Mark's biggest problem. If he's completing 55 percent of his passes but throwing nearly 1 INT more per game, those extra 5 completions mean nothing.

Both guys need to get to 60%, but I think that figure is more important to Mark because he won't be picking up yards on the ground.

Tebow could be very successful at 55% while we've seen what Sanchez has done at 55% plus the absurd INT numbers.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL. Even Tebow gets it.

Woody Johnson is fapping away. This is exactly what HE wanted.

Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    "As much as everybody is trying to make it a quarterback controversy, it's not. Mark Sanchez is our starting quarterback." - Rex

"As much as everybody is trying to make it a quarterback controversy, it's not. Mark Sanchez is our starting quarterback." - Rex
    John Fox said the same last season before he decided to pull Kyle Orton for Tebow. What exactly is Rex supposed to say? Come on...

Today's plays were basic WC, Rex said. Dead silence and a grin from Rex when asked if there are any plays they're designing in secret.

Rex laughs that being "open to anything" got lots of mileage. Asked if WC could become nucleus of offense, quips, "anything's possible"

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Could the wildcat become the staple of the jets offense? Rex cracks: "Anything is possible" ... Laughter ensues at presser.

So far 10+ minutes on WC questions...unreal
    Last edited by C Mart; 08-13-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Finally a non-WC ?

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Rex said he does not think Holmes will play Saturday vs. Giants

Dennis Waszak Jr. ‏@DWAZ73
    Rex says he doesn't see Eric Smith, Holmes, Pouha playing Sat vs. Giants

Rex said he doesn't see Santonio, Sione or Kerley playing on Saturday vs. the Giants.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Rex on Cromartie being happy to play WR: "We'll see how excited he is when he gets smacked by a safety"

Rex said Santonio will be ready for the season opener against Buffalo.

Rex still thinks Holmes will be ready for Buffalo

Damien Woody ‏@damienwoody
    If the Jets showed as much passion in developing Sanchez as they do the Wildcat the offense would be in a better place

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Why is that any different than when Brad Smith was taking the snaps? The Jets ran the Wildcat. Sparano runs the Wildcat. Tebow has the perfect skills to run the Wildcat.

And if the Jets have the ability to run both, wouldn't it be not as predictable?
    Because Brad Smith was already on the field as a rb or a WR and then switched places with Sanchez. Why do you think the wildcat was effective with Smith at first and not later.?

And when you have Sanchez on the field you have one less weapon when he splits wide.

Teams got away from the wildcat because it was not effective and teams learned to shut it down, When Tebow is in the backfield at what ever position the defense is going to think run and have that personnel on the field. Teams will let Tebow pass the ball out of the wildcat and play a straight D.

I am not a coach by any means, I am looking forward to see How Rex and Sparono develop it. I am not saying it can not be done, just that I can't see how?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I think this is a complete fallacy, sorry. Opportunity and attempts has nothing to do with it IMO.

Partially because Tebow can run it and pick up additional yards and 1st downs that way, but mostly because he turns the ball over far less than Sanchez does. That's Mark's biggest problem. If he's completing 55 percent of his passes but throwing nearly 1 INT more per game, those extra 5 completions mean nothing.

Both guys need to get to 60%, but I think that figure is more important to Mark because he won't be picking up yards on the ground.

Tebow could be very successful at 55% while we've seen what Sanchez has done at 55% plus the absurd INT numbers.
    Of course, I have to disagree because you mention that Tebow turns the ball over far less than Sanchez, but you ignore Tebow's fumbles. That's an issue with a running QB.

Further, that extra 5 completions mean a lot because it's about scoring opportunities. Those 5 completions create more opportunities to score points.

Also, Tebow's ground yardage doesn't replace passing yardage because (1) ground yardage tends to be less than passing yardage and (2) those ground yardage merely replaces the yardage that the RB would have accumulated.

I don't believe Tebow at 55% would be very successful because it would be unprecedented. QBs such as he, who are successful, completed passes at a higher clip.

If Tebow completed 60+% of his passes he'd be Cam Newton.

"Quinton is a big fast man that has talent. When you surround him with this type of group, we'll see how far he can go." - Rex

"It's a great situation for Quinton to come in. He has great mentors here. He has a great coach in Karl Dunbar." - Rex

"If you look at the measurables when JPP came out and when Quinton came out there pretty much identical." - Rex

Rex says he hopes Coples can be "the same kind of player" as Jason Pierre-Paul is for Giants.

Jets Insider VIP
    Rex still thinks Holmes will be ready for Buffalo
    I'd ****ing hope so, Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    Based upon what, exactly?
    The fact that he is not good in the pocket, can't feel pressure. The fact that he is afraid of the rush, and holds the ball too long. The fact that he doesn't throw the ball deep, don't blame that on the WRs or the OC. The fact that he is the master of the checkdown. The fact that he is not an accurate thrower. The fact that the front office tried to bring in Manning and then traded for Tebow. EVERYTHING needs to be A+, oline,wrs,rbs for him to succeed as a NFL QB, which is not the case for better QBs in the NFL.