Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buttle filling in on Dan Patrick Show

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This board is psychotic. There are countless threads whining about how critical the press is when it comes to the Jets.

Now we have another thread where SOJFs get annoyed that Buttle is a homer.

One thing I like about Buttle is his ability to not sound like a complete homer on the air. I have watched most of these preseason games with local broadcasters (plus a lot of radio in the past) and they all sound like the White Sox's Hawk Harralson. Buttle will call out players and give praise to opponents. I guess he's ok, just not the "sexy" choice really.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    One thing I like about Buttle is his ability to not sound like a complete homer on the air. I have watched most of these preseason games with local broadcasters (plus a lot of radio in the past) and they all sound like the White Sox's Hawk Harralson. Buttle will call out players and give praise to opponents. I guess he's ok, just not the "sexy" choice really.
    Harrelson is the absolute worst I've ever heard. His use of "we" and "our" when describing the White Sox is absolutely nauseating.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Buttle is horrible. Never has any facts. Only opinions and feelings. He's lazy and is riding on his status as a good former Jet player.

Quote Originally Posted by NoJokeJets View Post
    Harrelson is the absolute worst I've ever heard. His use of "we" and "our" when describing the White Sox is absolutely nauseating.
    my favorite is when he goes to the sad, depressed tone when the Sox are losing. Or the disgusted, angry Hawk when they lose on a walkoff or something. Priceless.

Biggest NFL homer announcer: Mike Keith, play by play for Tennessee Titans radio. my goodness, the Hawk Harrelson of the NFL. Now he can make some Gus Johnson-like calls for excitement, but the biggest homer you will find.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Buttle is horrible. Never has any facts. Only opinions and feelings. He's lazy and is riding on his status as a good former Jet player.
    +1

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Buttle and Klecko are complete homers and not very objective when it comes to criticizing the train wreck in Florham Park.
    I don't think Buttle is a homer. I think he's a nice guy, and does see a different side to things than most people. He sees potential and he gives everyone the benefit of the doubt. I think he does this for all players and coaches though. If he was a homer it would just be the Jets.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    He always has facts. He just always goes out of his way to find the good in everything. That may make him overly optimistic, but just because he doesn't agree with you does not make him lazy. Sometimes he has to go way out of his way to find facts to make things seem better than they are.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    This board is psychotic. There are countless threads whining about how critical the press is when it comes to the Jets.

Now we have another thread where SOJFs get annoyed that Buttle is a homer.
    +1. I like butltle. Is he a homer? Yeah, but in a good way that's positive even and is often positive about opponents. I think he would get tiring if he had a show everyday for four hours but in preseason tv and the kick off Sunday's I think he does a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I would never rate Buttle; I am a homer, and I like guys that can speak with authority. Before Rex was taped saying "oh **** what a hit", Buttle had that same moment in the 1982 Divsion game in LA; screaming "What a ****ing hit" when Jerry Holmes blasted Kenny King or some raider. I'm saying he likes what he does, and I think he's got a knack.
    Yea, I remember that it was a Kirk Springs hit, not Jerry Holmes, and it knocked the ball up in the air for a INT

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Yea, I remember that it was a Kirk Springs hit, not Jerry Holmes, and it knocked the ball up in the air for a INT
    47 was in the play; 21 or 47 got the INT. Fun highlight. Outhitting the Raiders was a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    47 was in the play; 21 or 47 got the INT. Fun highlight. Outhitting the Raiders was a big deal.
    35:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IPKl...e_gdata_player

Jets Insider VIP
    Buttle may be a homer but he's broadcasting on a "home" station as opposed to someone like Hawk Harrelson who is broadcasting on a national network (WGN) and whose audience may not be White Sox fans.

Granted, the Jets pre-season broadcast may be shown on NFL Network but it's only a couple of games. Eagle and Buttle are presumably speaking to Jets fans. Same with the radio broadcast during the season.