Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is success this year ?

What is success this year ?

As we get ready for the start of a new season I was wondering what do most of us want to see as success. Here are some things I would love to see

-Sanchez: Better pocket presence and not trying to force in passes that become interceptions. Like it or not he is out QB for a long long time to come.

-Running game: My guess is that opposing teams are going to stack the box and try and force the Jets to pass the ball. Do we use the pass to set up the run or the run to set up the pass ? I also want to see Dbrick get back to All Star shape.

-Wide receivers: Do we have any wide receivers that scare opposing defenses and that can get open when Sanchez is scrambling ?

-Defense: Are our LB's really that slow or are they just not playing at full speed yet? If Revis wants more money do we give it to him at the expense of possibly signing more talent ?

Coaching - There were times last year when this team just came out flat and unmotivated. Rex has to do more to get them fired up and play a full 4 quarters of football. They cannot coast when they have a big lead and allow opposing teams to get back in the game.

I really want to see the Jets stick it to the Pats at least for one of the games. The Pats are the only team that continues to treat their players like expendable assets yet for some reason they all want to play for NE.

Overall I would love to see the Jets in the playoffs and get better every week. The fact that they seem to be looking for more wide receivers is worrysome but whether we all complain or B*&%# we all bleed Jet green.

Time to order my newest Jet Jersey

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I think 'success' for this team means younger players stepping up and playing big roles. That means Wilkinson, Kerley, Powell/McKnight, Cumberland, Hill, Coples, Davis, Wilson, Maybin & Sapp. With the cap situation this team looks to be in, these guys need to produce now if we're to have a chance this season and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I think 'success' for this team means younger players stepping up and playing big roles. That means Wilkinson, Kerley, Powell/McKnight, Cumberland, Hill, Coples, Davis, Wilson, Maybin & Sapp. With the cap situation this team looks to be in, these guys need to produce now if we're to have a chance this season and beyond.
    Really great point

If every week, all the Sunday pregame shows open with Tebow news/anecdotes.

Playoffs or bust, end of story.

Jets Insider VIP
    Success this year means coming to a final decision on the qb of the New York Jets. We either commit to Sanchez for the next 7 years, we committ to tebow for the next 7 years or we decide to take a qb early in the draft or trade for one.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    As we get ready for the start of a new season I was wondering what do most of us want to see as success. Here are some things I would love to see

-Sanchez: Better pocket presence and not trying to force in passes that become interceptions. Like it or not he is out QB for a long long time to come.

-Running game: My guess is that opposing teams are going to stack the box and try and force the Jets to pass the ball. Do we use the pass to set up the run or the run to set up the pass ? I also want to see Dbrick get back to All Star shape.

-Wide receivers: Do we have any wide receivers that scare opposing defenses and that can get open when Sanchez is scrambling ?

-Defense: Are our LB's really that slow or are they just not playing at full speed yet? If Revis wants more money do we give it to him at the expense of possibly signing more talent ?

Coaching - There were times last year when this team just came out flat and unmotivated. Rex has to do more to get them fired up and play a full 4 quarters of football. They cannot coast when they have a big lead and allow opposing teams to get back in the game.

I really want to see the Jets stick it to the Pats at least for one of the games. The Pats are the only team that continues to treat their players like expendable assets yet for some reason they all want to play for NE.

Overall I would love to see the Jets in the playoffs and get better every week. The fact that they seem to be looking for more wide receivers is worrysome but whether we all complain or B*&%# we all bleed Jet green.

Time to order my newest Jet Jersey
    " What is success this year ? "

~ ~ losin' that LAST 10 pounds

Sanchez. Defense will be great again. It's up to the big boy now.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This.

And Sanchez.

_

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Yup

Having a horrible season and then a shot at Matt Barkley

This team is still just one year removed from the AFCCG - nothing short of a return to the playoffs should be acceptable to the fanbase. That said, I'll personally take either a playoff berth OR a season-long performance from Sanchez so good that we can stop having debates about him.

At least if the latter happens, the team can focus on building the line and providing weapons for the guy who is unquestionably the team's long-term QB.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... barring crazy injury ...

... playoffs with at least a reasonable improvement in sanchez's t/o #'s & comp% ...

l_j_r

success can only mean making the playoffs, you look to improve on last years performance

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    success can only mean making the playoffs, you look to improve on last years performance
    Would you consider the Pats season a failure if they don't win the Super Bowl?

I don't think you necessarily need to improve record or playoff-wise for it to be a successful season. I didn't consider 2010 to be a failure for the Jets although I'm sure plenty here did.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    When you have success in life, haters are going to hate.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    Having a horrible season and then a shot at Matt Barkley
    Please God, no more USC quarterbacks.

All Pro
    Playoffs. If we don't make it back to the postseason 2012 is a failure.

Hall Of Fame
    2012 will be a repositioning year IMO.

It is all about (a) removing the question marks surrounding the team and (b) finding out that behind at least some of those question marks that we have solid young talent already in house.

DL, WR, LB, OL, QB, RB, and the Safeties predominantly.

I feel really good already about the DL but given the youth I have still put it in the question mark column.

At the end of 2012 we are going to shed some salary and contract dollars with Pace, Scott and a few others. If it turns out that the answers to the list of questions above are already on the roster then we should be decent shape to aggressively pursue the ones that are not. If not then we may be a 4 win team with a lame duck QB, HC and GM on board and holes almost everywhere else you care to look.

Either way I would be very surprised if we were a contender this year.