Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers Are A Circus and Tomlin has lost the team :)

All Pro

The Steelers Are A Circus and Tomlin has lost the team :)

Hey, at least on the Jets, Tanny isn't breaking up fist fights...

From NFL.COM:

Training camp fights are often dismissed with lines like "they just need to hit someone in a different uniform". Well, the Pittsburgh Steelers got to hit the Philadelphia Eagles last Thursday night, but that hasn't cooled the friction between cornerback Ike Taylor and wide receiver Antonio Brown.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Taylor and Brown fought in the middle of the field after practice Sunday, with general manager Kevin Colbert having to play the role of Mills Lane, breaking up what was the second fight between Taylor and Brown this summer.
    Bouchette wrote that this fight began when Brown threw a punch at Taylor after the two had been jostling for the ball. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin brushed the incident off, but Colbert met with a few players, including Brown and Taylor, on an adjoining practice field to clear the air.
    "These guys understand what we're working for, and when we step into stadiums, we're together," Tomlin said. "When you fight your brother, sometimes, it gets a little heated. ... The guys understand what that's about, and they'll leave it on the grass where it should be."
    Brown and Taylor walked off the field together, so perhaps this beef has been squashed. And considering the Steelers' lack of depth at receiver and cornerback, the Steelers can't afford to have either player breaking a hand or finger by punching a helmet.

Personally I think the steelers could really struggle this year.

Their offensive line is very iffy, with decastro not standing out yet, and 2 questionable tackles now that adams has shown he isn’t ready. No Mendenhall and no Wallace as of yet. They too have an aging (polomalu, Harrison, and Hampton) defense with Hampton hurt. I really hope we can catch them before they start to get things together.

As far as tomlin, it shocks me how much respect he gets and is a testament to how important coordinators are. Sure he won a SB, but he has arguably the best defensive coordinator that ever lived, was handed a SB winning QB, and had the same OC up until this year. He doesn’t call the plays for either side of the ball, and actually doesn’t even wear a headset for the whole game.

Just seems that there are a lot of people doing a lot of work for the success he gets credit for…..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Their offensive line is very iffy, with decastro not standing out yet, and 2 questionable tackles now that adams has shown he isn’t ready. No Mendenhall and no Wallace as of yet. They too have an aging (polomalu, Harrison, and Hampton) defense with Hampton hurt. I really hope we can catch them before they start to get things together.

As far as tomlin, it shocks me how much respect he gets and is a testament to how important coordinators are. Sure he won a SB, but he has arguably the best defensive coordinator that ever lived, was handed a SB winning QB, and had the same OC up until this year. He doesn’t call the plays for either side of the ball, and actually doesn’t even wear a headset for the whole game.

Just seems that there are a lot of people doing a lot of work for the success he gets credit for…..
    Seriously +1 about Tomlin. He was handed a team with a Franchise QB, Stacked defense that Cowher built and run by one of the Greatest defensive coaches in the league.

He seems to fit in well in Pitt though, he has the right demeanor for the town and culture there, but he's definitely a guy i see as a manager not a real hands on kind of guy.

Veteran

It's like anything else, when you win you get all the credit and when you lose you get all the blame. It's obvious he's doing something right. I never liked Joe Torre yet he gets accolades with a stocked team but he did win until they lost to the sox with like a 3 game lead. Same with Tom Couhlin, the guy had a losing streak in the middle of the last two season's but still finished strong. Is he as good as his record? I dunno but you can't deny the rings..

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    It's like anything else, when you win you get all the credit and when you lose you get all the blame. It's obvious he's doing something right. I never liked Joe Torre yet he gets accolades with a stocked team but he did win until they lost to the sox with like a 3 game lead. Same with Tom Couhlin, the guy had a losing streak in the middle of the last two season's but still finished strong. Is he as good as his record? I dunno but you can't deny the rings..
    Coughlin does a million times more things then tomlin.

Coughlin is also one of the best in game coaches in the league in terms of challenges (highest all time % I believe) and clock management, etc

All Pro
    I guess I'm too subtle. I was poking fun at the supposed Jets fans who were recently railing about Ryan losing the team and the Jets fracases being a reflection of how poorly run the Jets are. I don't see the media drawing the same conclusions about the vaunted Steelers, even though they are going through some pretty contentious times on several levels. Seems a double standard to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Seriously +1 about Tomlin. He was handed a team with a Franchise QB, Stacked defense that Cowher built and run by one of the Greatest defensive coaches in the league.

He seems to fit in well in Pitt though, he has the right demeanor for the town and culture there, but he's definitely a guy i see as a manager not a real hands on kind of guy.
    I dunno. Tomlin's been to 2 Super Bowls in 5 years, I get that the Steelers are a well run franchise from top to bottom, and had won a Super Bowl in 2005, but Tomlin's a guy who, for whatever reason, will never get much respect for keeping a winning team going. McCarthy is another guy like that, I don't think he gets enough respect either.

Veteran
    Coughlin does a million times more things then tomlin.

Coughlin is also one of the best in game coaches in the league in terms of challenges (highest all time % I believe) and clock management, etc
    It doesn't matter, my point is that until you start losing any coach gets the accolades. I've called Coughlin a great coach on here before because the Giants were able to finish strong with a bad 1/4 in there seasons and obviously getting rings. Tomlin's teams have been strong teams throughout his tenure so deserves the accolades. For whatever reason some are slaming Rex yet his teams have been just as strong as Tomlin's. The Jets going 8-8 last season has more to do with talent than coaching yet it doesn't matter. Again, the coach gets all the blame instead of all the praise..

JMO

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    I guess I'm too subtle. I was poking fun at the supposed Jets fans who were recently railing about Ryan losing the team and the Jets fracases being a reflection of how poorly run the Jets are. I don't see the media drawing the same conclusions about the vaunted Steelers, even though they are going through some pretty contentious times on several levels. Seems a double standard to say the least.
    I pointed the same thing out when the Pats were fighting last week. How will Bill Belichick reign in this unruly bunch?!? Training camp sucks, it's hot, you're tired, and you're fighting for a job. It's going to get heated sometimes.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...-training-camp
    FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- For the second time in three days, New England Patriots players were involved in a full-team scuffle at training camp.

The scrap was one of two that occurred on Friday, and prompted a peeved coach Bill Belichick to order all players to run three laps around the field, from goal post to goal post.

Training camp fights are not uncommon... This one was note worthy due to the fact that these players fought previously... Aren't aware of all the specifics or history, but seemed like they squared off in middle of field..

Would tend to think that both players get an earful from coaching staff.....

no doubt it raises some eyebrows regarding a potential problem with organization....

I respect Tomlin and not many more credible organizations than the Steelers

Can't compare anything to NY Media Circus.... Not sure any team in the NY market get's the benefit of doubt.... Although we all may think the Giants are catching a break... short lived... Soon as they faulter, media is be all over them....... Which makes it even more telling to paint rosy picture in NYG land ..... Sets up great expectations.. Ponce on negative aspect when things fall short..

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post

Sounds like Dungy minus the great D. Dungy never made that D into anything. And we saw a Manningless colts team last year.

It's the end of the Tomlin/Rooney era.

All Pro

This is so funny when you realized that we had a HC here with the Jets who did exactly the same things with the 1 exception and the fans media and ownership blamed him for everything that went wrong with the Jets and gave him no credit when things went right.
    The one exception was that HC wore a headset.

To me this started when he played Big Ben in the playoffs last year. He had a choice to make the unpopular call of playing the back-up but giving his team a chance or Big Ben and choosing to likely go down with the ship and the vet. I knew Mike would take the easy way out in order to ride and die with his vet, but it was a mistake, because there were 50+ other guys on that team that were hungry to advance. I penciled Ben turning over the ball there with 99% certainty and he did. Any back up would have performed better than Ben last year as banged up as he was and that was evident in the couple of games prior to that. I think Mike lost some respect with the team when he didn't make the hard decision, as hard as it may have been. He placed it on Ben rather than his own shoulders. With guys like Ben and Farve you gotta be responsible as a coach and tell them to sit out, when they are that banged up, because these guys are always going to want to play even when they can't perform well enough to win. But he didn't want to take the heat if they would have lost starting the #2 QB over Big Ben.

Mike's become too much of a players' coach even though he acts hard and I think this is the result of all that. Not good to let your franchise QB get banged up like that and then let the banged up QB run the team. Then we had the episode where Ben felt he needed to be given answers when his OC was replaced.

I can easily see this unraveling this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    This makes up for their 7 World Championships, I feel so much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    It's the end of the Tomlin/Rooney era.
    Sign these beasts!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports View Post
    Sign these beasts!
    + 2

If anybody fails to see the difference between their situation and ours then they haven't been paying attention the past couple of years. Well actually the past 40 years.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports View Post
    Sign these beasts!
    It would be tough to sign away the owner of the team. But Tanny could do it! Sign these beasts!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    + 2

If anybody fails to see the difference between their situation and ours then they haven't been paying attention the past couple of years. Well actually the past 40 years.
    You completely missed the point. This is merely an example of how one arrives at a position, then uses anything and everything that even sniffs of an issue to prove it. Both the media and some "fans" here were extremely quick to assess that "things were rotten in Denmark" due to a couple of scuffles. The media is desperate to portray the Jets as a 'circus' and sadly some fans are happy to concur. The scuffles in training camp were actually proof of nothing and hardly out of the ordinary. That was the only issue... not how many championships the Steelers have won, most of which were in the 1970's. And yes, I've been paying attention.

Mike Tomlin is a tough guy and straight forward. I met him at the White House last year. Chatted with him about few things. Got the sense that he really is a no nonsense coach and a good man.

Didn't he say something once about the Steelers are here to win SB's and not rushing titles?
    Last edited by Jetdawgg; 08-13-2012 at 07:08 PM.