Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lupica: Futures of HC and GM depend on 2012 season

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Lupica: Futures of HC and GM depend on 2012 season

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1134660

For 2012 season, NY Jets success or failure will be on head coach Rex Ryan and GM Mike Tannenbaum

While Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez have the spotlight on them, the coach and general manager have more riding on this season than anyone.

You think Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow have a lot on the line this season?

Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan have more.

Oh, Tannenbaum and Ryan have a lot riding on their quarterbacks, no question about that, none. But they have more riding on the whole program, on their program, the one that still operates in the shadow of the Giants at MetLife Stadium.

It works that way despite the early speed of both Tannenbaum and Ryan, whose Jets were making it to two AFC Championship Games in seasons when the Giants had gotten knocked back good after beating the Patriots in Glendale, Ariz.

The Giants, clearly, have their way of doing business, in so many ways becoming the model franchise of the whole sport. The Jets, in Year 4 of Tannenbaum/Ryan, are still trying to prove that their way ó big moves, big noise ó can work, too.

There was a great intersection of all this last Christmas Eve, Saturday afternoon, MetLife, what turned out to be the most important game ever played between the two teams when you add it all up, one that included the most important play in all of Giants-Jets history.

If you donít think so, ask yourself how last season ends, for both teams, if Eli doesnít throw it to Victor Cruz for 99 yards when he does.

But the Giants got the game, got to 9-7 against the Cowboys, got on another one of those Super Bowl runs, four Lombardi Trophies for them now, up in the first class section of the sport. The Jets lose to the Dolphins, the coach doesnít even know whoís in the game, they end up 8-8, miss the playoffs, here they are, an easier schedule than the Giants have, a tremendous opportunity to come out of this season with a better record than the Giants.

This isnít on the quarterbacks, as much as they will determine the Jetsí success this season. This isnít on Tony Sparano, the new offensive coordinator. It is on the players Tannenbaum has given Ryan this season and the way the coach can coach them.

ďI got this, okay?Ē Rex Ryan said after a couple of his players got into it in Cortland and then other players joined in and they all nearly went rolling into the fans.

We find out, starting in September, if he does.

If heís got it and if he really gets it.

Rex Ryan is still as big a star as we have around here in sports, in all the modern celebrity ways, big as ever even after dropping the weight. Rex will always be more Jersey Shore than Eli and the other team in Jersey. But for all the attention paid to Sanchez and Tebow this summer, the way they have been the Jetsí poster boys ó with and without shirts ó this is still more about Rex than anybody else.

We saw how the Giants came back after they missed the playoffs, did it with a better record (10-6) in 2010 than the Jets had in 2011 when they came apart the way they did down the stretch. We saw how Tom Coughlin responded to being hit, and once again hear that he might lose his job if the Giants didnít come back.

Now we see how Ryan comes back. We see if Tannenbaum has given him enough. But we see if Ryan can get to 10 or 11 wins and have his team come into January this time looking like a contender for the championship. We hear all the time about how much players love to play for Rex Ryan. This is a good year to find out how much, and how hard.

Rex talks about being here a long time, and maybe he will. It has mostly been huge fun having him around. He has had as much to do with pro football becoming bigger than it has ever been around here, from the moment he hit town and started talking about how he wasnít here to kiss Bill Belichickís rings.

And he could go a long time without winning the Super Bowl. Andy Reid has in Philadelphia. But at least Reid made it to the big game once. Rex came close: One good half against the Colts in one AFC Championship Game, one rousing second half when his team scared the Steelers to death at Heinz Field.

The Jets donít have to make it to New Orleans this year to validate their program. But they need to make the playoffs. And four years into Tannenbaum/Ryan, they need to be doing something more at the end of the regular season than scuffling for the last playoff spot the way they were last year.

I got this, the coach says.

Letís see.

We always hear a lot from the Jets.

Now we see.

THE NIGHT TEBOW BEAT THE JETS, THE RICH GET RICHER IN THE NBA & TIGER'S PUTTING...

-- Iíll tell you another play from the last regular season that did a lot to change everything for the Jets last season.

That touchdown run Tebow made one Thursday night in Denver.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Tiger's putting..."

uhh... wut?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love how the media decides how to influence the careers of those working in an industry for which supplies them with their own jobs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    "Tiger's putting..."

uhh... wut?
    LOL.

Maybe he thinks the Jets will be playing golf early this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is nothing earth shattering. Thats why they bought tebow here. When the ship starts sinking, they will put in tebow in hopes he can save there jobs.

and I would not bet against tebow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah they are going to fire a coach and GM after making 2 AFCCs and one 8-8 season. With a rookie QB!! What? That is pretty stupid. You don't fire a coach that wins. That is like getting rid of a girlfriend because she is better looking then you are. OK even if Sanchez is a bust you move on. Sometimes you role the dice and get snake eyes. I don't think either of their careers should be linked with that one pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Yeah they are going to fire a coach and GM after making 2 AFCCs and one 8-8 season. With a rookie QB!! What? That is pretty stupid. You don't fire a coach that wins. That is like getting rid of a girlfriend because she is better looking then you are. OK even if Sanchez is a bust you move on. Sometimes you role the dice and get snake eyes. I don't think either of their careers should be linked with that one pick.
    AGREED! Its just the media with their usual nonsense. Rex and T will be here no matter what this season!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I could find a way to bet that Rex Ryan last longer as the Jets Head Coach than Mike Lupica does as the host of his awful radio show on ESPN.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's stating the obvious that this year is all on the coach and gm, it is as it should be. Neither coach or Gm have anything at all to worry about for about the next 3 years though. There is no way their jobs are on the line even if the Jets tank bad.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trust Baby won't do anything until it hits him in the pocket book.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The head coach and GM's futures depend on their performance? What a genius this man is. Who would ever have thought that your results would impact your future.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 08-13-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a fan of the Lupica, but Rex will won't survive if this circus blows up. Tanny is nothing but a bull****ting back stabber, which is why players don't trust the Jets fambly. This team has yet to have a football brain trust running things from the top down. Therein lie the Jets

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    there is 0% chance of Rex getting canned after this season.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both would necessarily have to go?

I can envision Rex staying and Tannenbaum going. Being that I don't think Tannenbaum is a talent evaluator and that's what your GM is supposed to be.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

I can envision Rex stating and Tannenbaum going. Being that I don't think Tannenbaum is a talent evaluator and that's what your GM is supposed to be.
    I agree with this.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    there is 0% chance of Rex getting canned after this season.

If Rex loses the locker room again, and this Offense chemistry test doesn't pan out, I can see him getting replaced if the right person became avail

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sal Palentonio reporting on ESPN NY, "Sparano is the Offense architect, 100%. If it fails he believes Sparano would be the fall guy. " give or take ...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

I can envision Rex staying and Tannenbaum going. Being that I don't think Tannenbaum is a talent evaluator and that's what your GM is supposed to be.
    I agree but most GMs want to be able to hire their own coach. I get the feeling that Woody has left all the football operations to Tanny who in turn has delegated every single responsibility to someone else. As long as Woody is in the black, he doesn't care. Winning games is a bonus.

Its obvious Tannenbaum has let Rex run things. There is no other way to explain the neglect of the offense. All you have to do is pay attention when Rex is talking about the picks, he either refers to them as his pick or Tannenbaum's pick. At least when Mangini was running things he understood that you needed a strong OL and REAL veteran leaders

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    first of all Lupica is a horrible writer...no flow to his style...also he hasn't had an original thought in 20 years...the master of the obvious...that being said unless these guys go 0-16, both will be back...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    ... Tanny who in turn has delegated every single responsibility to someone else. ... Its obvious Tannenbaum has let Rex run things.
    I'd like to hear Rex and Tann explain their (lack of) strategic vision for the Oline, and why and who decided that relying on unproven #2,3 WRs was the way to go.