Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 92 of 92

Thread: Lupica: Futures of HC and GM depend on 2012 season

  1. #81
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,492
    To tell you the truth, I wish Tannenbaum would have trusted his gut.


  2. #82
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Since he signed Schilens and drafted Hill and White, it's fairer to say he didn't substantially upgrade the WR position. Something it sorely needed.
    All GM's draft.

    Signing Schilens is essentially standing pat.

  3. #83
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Thank you. I felt it was important to lay out the entire scenario to help illustrate the definition of stupidity.
    Since you're so helpful, enlighten me about this ^^^ breach of common sense.



  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Both would necessarily have to go?

    I can envision Rex staying and Tannenbaum going. Being that I don't think Tannenbaum is a talent evaluator and that's what your GM is supposed to be.
    +1 jordy..once again on the spot..the bean counter must come through this year!! he's had too many chances..though a new gm would want his own coach probably...

  5. #85
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,492
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Since you're so helpful, enlighten me about this ^^^ breach of common sense.


    Perhaps I should have just quoted the one below and left the others alone?


    Originally Posted by Mainejet


    Are you really that dense?

    I said
    THIRD ROUND PICK you f*cking moron.

    Really
    nice save though. Had to stroke your boyfriend, Jordy right?

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... for starters - his ready, willing, and ableness to make any more that he believes will improve his team ... his ability to manage the cap in this salary-cap era nfl ... and his willingness to fine tune his vision towards what his current head coach is looking for ... and it is evident that he is very sharp ...


    What about him do you have a problem with?


    l_j_r
    What cap management skills?, That he borrowed money from future years in order to make a run. Do you consider paying Scott and Pace the money they are getting paid good cap management. How about giving Holmes and Cro contracts that makes it impossible to cut the guy no matter what they do on the field or off.

    How about having 1/2 of the starters being FA next year and being already over the cap. This is not like in the past when your over the cap and only need to sign 3 or 4 players, this is 11 players who are starting this year. all this in the year before Revis can test the waters.

    He did good in finding that loophole last year that allowed you to charge back amortization into the uncapped year. I will give him that.

    But to have to replace or re-sign Divito, Pace, Scott, Thomas, Maybin, Mauga, Landry, and Bell on Defense and at the same time replace Hunter, Slauson, Moore, Keller, and Greene on offense is criminal.

    And you know BB is going to sign Divito, if there is a guy on the jets that BB appreciates it is him.
    Last edited by patman; 08-16-2012 at 11:07 AM.

  7. #87
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Perhaps I should have just quoted the one below and left the others alone?
    Oh my; that is horrendous...

    You guys tend to bring out the worst in each other.

  8. #88
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,492
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post


    But to have to replace or re-sign Divito, Pace, Scott, Thomas, Maybin, Mauga, Landry, and Bell on Defense and at the same time replace Hunter, Slauson, Moore, Keller, and Greene on offense is criminal.

    And you know BB is going to sign Divito, if there is a guy on the jets that BB appreciates it is him.
    Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

    We're still 2 days away from the 2nd game of the pre-season and you're hypothesizing about which Jets players will need to be re-signed.

    And don't get your hopes up on DeVito.

  9. #89
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

    We're still 2 days away from the 2nd game of the pre-season and you're hypothesizing about which Jets players will need to be re-signed.

    And don't get your hopes up on DeVito.
    I agree. Lets worry about this season first. Every team has tricky personnel decisions every year.

    But his point is fair. We do rob Peter to pay Paul. Even with the amount of expiring contracts, I am not sure we will have as much cap room as we think. Not to mention the Revis situation.

  10. #90
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,492
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree. Lets worry about this season first. Every team has tricky personnel decisions every year.

    But his point is fair. We do rob Peter to pay Paul. Even with the amount of expiring contracts, I am not sure we will have as much cap room as we think. Not to mention the Revis situation.
    Every year some people bring up the cap and woe is me.

    Every year Tannenbaum makes it happen.

    I don't care for him as a GM from a personnel evaluation standpoint but he's one of, if not the, best cap managers in the business.

  11. #91
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Every year some people bring up the cap and woe is me.

    Every year Tannenbaum makes it happen.

    I don't care for him as a GM from a personnel evaluation standpoint but he's one of, if not the, best cap managers in the business.
    I disagree with this. I think he is among the worst GMs in the entire league at managing the cap.

    High priced, high visibility splashy acquisitions who always seem to underperform the dollars and picks spent to get them here. Always with the hamburger today and the promise to pay next Tuesday and then it turns out the hamburger today wasn't all that good to begin with.

    He got absolutely taken to the Woodshed not once but twice by the Revis representation.

    He manages the cap every year like it is going to be the last year of the Mayan calendar and the world will be ending some time during the off season. Understanding how to structure a contract to take advantage of an obscure feature of the CBA is one thing, deciding whether or not it is wise to even be sitting down with player-X or Player-Y is something else altogether.

    Just because he was a good tea boy does not mean he has the skills required to be the CEO of Lipton. He should go back to being the tea boy. If he loses the job with the Jets I would be shocked if he ever got another GM gig again. He has been over matched.

  12. #92
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,492
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I disagree with this. I think he is among the worst GMs in the entire league at managing the cap.

    High priced, high visibility splashy acquisitions who always seem to underperform the dollars and picks spent to get them here. Always with the hamburger today and the promise to pay next Tuesday and then it turns out the hamburger today wasn't all that good to begin with.

    He got absolutely taken to the Woodshed not once but twice by the Revis representation.

    He manages the cap every year like it is going to be the last year of the Mayan calendar and the world will be ending some time during the off season. Understanding how to structure a contract to take advantage of an obscure feature of the CBA is one thing, deciding whether or not it is wise to even be sitting down with player-X or Player-Y is something else altogether.

    Just because he was a good tea boy does not mean he has the skills required to be the CEO of Lipton. He should go back to being the tea boy. If he loses the job with the Jets I would be shocked if he ever got another GM gig again. He has been over matched.
    That's fair.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us