Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 398

Thread: Tebow under center.

  1. #1

    Tebow under center.

    For those of you that are more advanced in your football knowledge, I'm surprised no one is really talking about this. I see some of you talking about how he "looks improved" from last year, but nobody is really even pointing out why. It doesn't really look "better" so much as it is something most are more accustomed to seeing: a quarterback who drops back and then passes from under center versus being in shotgun.

    Against the Bengals Tebow ran 20+ plays from under center, something that has always been a big point of criticism against him, including from former coach John Fox who stated last year Tebow would be screwed in a traditional NFL offense. Friday's offense was vanilla and generic no doubt, but it was a "traditonal" NFL offense.

    For those that may not know the difference I'll try my best to give a brief description. The rest of yous can skip the next 2 paragraphs. In "traditional" NFL offenses the quarterbacks are usually asked to take snaps from "under center", whereas college offenses, and today's more modern NFL offenses, are putting quarterbacks in some sort of "shotgun" position, anywhere from 3-7 steps back(shotgun, pistol, etc).

    The reason "traditional" or "conventional" NFL offenses were considered harder was because it required quarterbacks to perfect their footwork and timing, when "dropping back" 3, 5, or 7 steps then throwing, while at the same time going through their progressions(checking to see which receivers are open). In a college style spread option, the quarterback is already 3-5 steps back, which gives him more time to survey the field, and also has the option of running with the football if he can. Tebow is known for being able to run the spread option, so what we saw friday, was basically a fish out of water but it seemed to me the fish was learning how to swim.

    Personally I feel today, more and more NFL offenses are including shotgun and spread as their base offense so the argument of a "traditional" NFL offense is kind of overrated anyway. Having said that, I thought he looked pretty good even under center, and despite hearing guys like Skip Bayless criticizing the Jets today for not letting him run the spread option, I like the fact they are teaching him how to take snaps from under center and letting him grow as a quarterback during preseason.

    While I do believe that Tebow will have most success running a spread option offense, and that's what he'll most likely run more often in the regular season, I like that the Jets are helping him improve his skill set now when little is on the line. He also had 2 scrambles from under center, but it should be noted, his biggest one, the 14-yarder did come out of the shotgun.

    Shotgun:


    The thought of Tebow alternating between under-center and shotgun, to keep defenses guessing, while still maintaining his ability to be a rushing threat out of both is very exciting. Because while some teams may begin expecting the spread option or "wildcat", which is hard to stop to begin with, a refined Tebow lining up under center and dropping back to pass...will create even more headaches for defenses.

    Under Center:


    In other words, so far I believe all we have seen is the weakest part of what this Jets offense will be and Tebow's game. It really was nothing but practice and training and showcasing the fact that Tebow can drop back and pass.

    Just thought I'd point this out.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,147
    Tebow looked awful under center. He seemed like he was a full step behind the rest of the offense, and I kept expecting a fumble or a false start penalty.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,810
    can you explain to me this idea of "under center" one more time.

    I'm not sure I get it.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Tebow looked awful under center. He seemed like he was a full step behind the rest of the offense, and I kept expecting a fumble or a false start penalty.
    i noticed that too. tebow has a lot of work to do to become an NFL QB

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    i noticed that too. tebow has a lot of work to do to become an NFL QB
    He does. I'm glad we have Sanchez who can teach him what it takes to be an NFL QB.

    Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Sanchez in 11-on-11 drills today: 4-for-12 with an INT and 2 sacks. Tebow 5-for-6 with 2 sacks.

  6. #6
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,424
    Baby steps.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Tebow looked awful under center. He seemed like he was a full step behind the rest of the offense, and I kept expecting a fumble or a false start penalty.
    Ok can you please point it out? Because I didn't see that.



    It's easy to regurgitate the same old statements we hear every day about his passing, and everyone will just not their heads in agreement without actually checking the evidence so I am asking you to point it out. I don't see where he is a half a step behind. And Rex Ryan's already been on record documenting the poor route running.

    Not saying you are wrong, but I wanna see it.

  8. #8
    Sarcasm can run things afoul and into the negative much too early and often on here.

    That being said, freestater's comment really made me laugh.


  9. #9
    Was he under center or in shotgun when he overthrew Hill by a mile out of bounds? Can't remember.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Was he under center or in shotgun when he overthrew Hill by a mile out of bounds? Can't remember.

    He was under center. But he did ran 20+ plays from under center and it's hard to say with certainty he overthrew him, considering the receiver was covered above and under.

    I noticed a lot of people consider any throwaway by Tebow a missed or overthrowed pass. Good quarterbacks DO KNOW when to throw the ball away. Did he even have it in the first place?

    I couldn't tell because the camera didn't show the receiver running the full route even during the replay. They showed the end of his route, and judging by the end, he wasn't open.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    north jersey
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    He does. I'm glad we have Sanchez who can teach him what it takes to be an NFL QB.
    Do you prefer when Tebow uses lube during intercourse or do you prefer him to use old fashioned saliva?

    Because you have to be banging him to be this obsessed

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    Ok can you please point it out? Because I didn't see that.



    It's easy to regurgitate the same old statements we hear every day about his passing, and everyone will just not their heads in agreement without actually checking the evidence so I am asking you to point it out. I don't see where he is a half a step behind. And Rex Ryan's already been on record documenting the poor route running.

    Not saying you are wrong, but I wanna see it.
    I remember watching this play live. Why isn't this a 15 yard penalty for the DB leaving his feet and hitting the head of the receiver? Can someone explain it to me?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jets1981 View Post
    I remember watching this play live. Why isn't this a 15 yard penalty for the DB leaving his feet and hitting the head of the receiver? Can someone explain it to me?

    Replacement refs? Preseason? And the ole..."there's a foul on every play, but not all get seen or called."

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    Replacement refs? Preseason? And the ole..."there's a foul on every play, but not all get seen or called."
    Ok, I can accept that. I though I was missing something in regards with the rule.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,252
    Quote Originally Posted by jets1981 View Post
    I remember watching this play live. Why isn't this a 15 yard penalty for the DB leaving his feet and hitting the head of the receiver? Can someone explain it to me?
    Jets never get those calls. Hopefully Landry can return the favor a few times this season and knock some people silly.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jets1981 View Post
    Ok, I can accept that. I though I was missing something in regards with the rule.
    There were a lot of bad calls this weekend and that one was pretty dangerous. It should have been especially with him being sandwiched like that, already getting tackled by the other guy. Regular refs would have probably called it unnecessary roughness and a 15 from the spot of the foul.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,810
    Quote Originally Posted by dcronin View Post
    Sarcasm can run things afoul and into the negative much too early and often on here.

    That being said, freestater's comment really made me laugh.

    I'm just here to help.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    7,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    Ok can you please point it out? Because I didn't see that.


    Watching that throw makes me throw up.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,949
    Listen, I am a big tebow supporter, but he definately had trouble getting back in his drop after taking the ball from under center. It looks like the whole offensive lines moves and then tebow starts dropping back a full second later. It was bizarre. Tebow has got to clean that up as he needs that extra second back there.

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Tebow looked awful under center. He seemed like he was a full step behind the rest of the offense, and I kept expecting a fumble or a false start penalty.
    I agree with you 100%. That was the first thing I noticed when he stepped in. He consistently looked slow in his first step from under center. I must have said 3 or 4 times that we are going to get called for a false start before I realized everyone was moving faster than him on their first step. It looked like he was power squatting away from the center rather than quick stepping it.
    OP – I know you posted a video and are asking for the board to point it out, but the best POV is a side view. More often than not, you can see the line take their first step ahead of his initial drop step.
    On a separate note – anyone who watches the game can see the kid doesn’t have a thoroughbred arm. He has a windmill windup and wings the ball around. On more than one occasion he was long or short on some of his throws. A lot of people regurgitate what others say, but in this case it’s pretty apparent.
    I do think he added a nice spark to the offence when he came in. The kid is a game and tried to make something out of every opportunity. I love that he does anything the coaches ask.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us