Thread: Texas A&M Shooting

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Texas A&M Shooting

Shooter near Texas A&M campus apprehended, several shot including 2 police

Police say two officers and one other person have been injured in a shooting near the Texas A&M University campus in College Station.
    Bryan Police spokesman Jon Agnew says the shooter is in custody Monday. Agnew says officers have established a perimeter around the area just east of campus, but they don't believe a second suspect is involved.
    Agnew says police don't know if shooter was a student at A&M.
    Bryan is College Station's sister city and its officers are assisting in the case.

Texas police took a shooter into custody Monday after receiving reports of multiple injuries near the Texas A&M University campus, officials said.
    The university issued an alert on its website just before 12:30 p.m. warning of an active shooter near the campus football stadium, Kyle Field. The warning told residents and students to avoid the area, and was later updated with the shooter taken into custody.

College Station Police spokeswoman Rhonda Seaton told The Dallas Morning News that law enforcement officers are among "multiple injuries" at the scene, which she says is within a block or two of campus. Seaton says she does know the extent of the injuries. Multiple calls to Seaton's cellphone from The Associated Press went straight to voicemail Monday afternoon. Text messages and emails also were left for the spokeswoman.

Texas A&M spokeswoman Sherylon Carroll could not confirm any injuries or details about the shooting, but said most students were not on campus Monday and the fall semester does not begin until August 27.

"It appeared to be fairly quiet," Carroll said of campus. "It didn't appear to be a lot of people out and about at that particular time."

College Station is about 90 miles northwest of Houston. Texas A&M is home to more than 50,000 students, according to its website.
    One police officer, one civilian dead in TX at the hands of the shooter.

Shooter is now in serious condition (early reports that he was shot dead).

James Holmes is responsible for inciting this. More are coming, IMO.
    Last edited by John_0515; 08-13-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

I concur! The way the "James Holmes" massacre occurred... Is practically like something out of a Comic / Movie... Masked Villain opening fire on innocent civilians for a kick...
    This is like the spark that starts the fire

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would caution against hype and hysteria regarding "influence". We're a very big country, with alot of guns, not alot of quality mental healthcare....an environment ripe for such events.

I would also caution against making more of one event, no matter how media-grabbing or tragic, and making more of it than it is. For example, as bad as a lone mask-wearing gunman who kills a dozen people may sound, it pales in comparison to the day to day drone of gun deaths and homicides in our country.

For example:

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune
    During one particularly violent weekend last month, 49 people were shot — 10 of them fatally, including a 6-year-old girl as she sat between her mom's legs on the family's Little Village front porch.
    49 people shot, in one routine weekend, in our nations 2nd biggest City. 10 dead.

Gun violence is commonplace, sadly. I wouldn't give a lunatic like Holmes credit for something inherantly American, killing our fellow Americans with guns.

Condolences to the officer and victim in this event. Such tragedy is far too common.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I would caution against hype and hysteria regarding "influence". We're a very big country, with alot of guns, not alot of quality mental healthcare....an environment ripe for such events.

I would also caution against making more of one event, no matter how media-grabbing or tragic, and making more of it than it is. For example, as bad as a lone mask-wearing gunman who kills a dozen people may sound, it pales in comparison to the day to day drone of gun deaths and homicides in our country.

For example:

49 people shot, in one routine weekend, in our nations 2nd biggest City. 10 dead.

Gun violence is commonplace, sadly. I wouldn't give a lunatic like Holmes credit for something inherantly American, killing our fellow Americans with guns.

Condolences to the officer and victim in this event. Such tragedy is far too common.
    Very true

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

For example:

+1

People were loonytunes well b4 James Holmes.

On the other hand I can see how some lunatic who already had plans of doing such a terrible event would have seen the coverage and thought..."ok well im gonna do it now" so who knows

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    notice how many victims there we're?

you don't mess with Texas.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what happened for sure but it appears a Constable (I thought they only had those in Canada) was serving an eviction notice.

-------------------------------------------------------

Brian Bachmann, an elected constable in Brazos County, Texas, was serving an eviction notice when he was shot and killed Monday, College Station police say.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...-texas-am?lite

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    notice how many victims there we're?

you don't mess with Texas.

Not one of your stronger posts. Three of the worst mass shootings in American history occurred in Texas.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Not one of your stronger posts. Three of the worst mass shootings in American history occurred in Texas.
    three?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    three?
    Just that I can think of off the top of my head: UT in the 60's, the assbag who drove his truck into the restaurant about 20 years ago and came out shooting and Fort Hood a couple of years ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just that I can think of off the top of my head: UT in the 60's, the assbag who drove his truck into the restaurant about 20 years ago and came out shooting and Fort Hood a couple of years ago.
    I don't remember the restaurant guy.

and in my defense, the Fort Hood guy never got off a military base and actuallyu into Texas, did he?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

Isn't it more the media that incited this since they covered the CO incident 24/7 for a week+ and kept plastering the shooters name and face all over the screen?

On Netflix, "Columbine: Understanding Why" Experts inform the media not to glorify these events since studies show within 2 weeks (I think that is the time frame) incident can occur due to the glorification..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't remember the restaurant guy.

and in my defense, the Fort Hood guy never got off a military base and actuallyu into Texas, did he?

Fair enough. Here is a write-up on the restaurant shooting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_massacre

On October 16, 1991, 35-year-old George "Jo Jo" Pierre Hennard, an unemployed merchant seaman who was described by others as angry and withdrawn, with a dislike of women, drove his blue 1987 Ford Ranger pickup truck through the front window of a Luby's cafeteria at 1705 East Central Texas Expressway in Killeen. Yelling "This is what Bell County did to me!", Hennard then opened fire on its patrons and staff with a Glock 17 pistol and, later, a Ruger P89. He stalked, shot, and killed 23 people while wounding another 20 before committing suicide. At least 80 people were in the restaurant at the time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

For example:

But those are primarily individual events, granted primarily in a particular section of the city (Southside or Westside)..

The CO and AZ are mass shootings occurring in a "traditional" safe environment (a mall, a movie theater, a school).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough. Here is a write-up on the restaurant shooting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_massacre

On October 16, 1991, 35-year-old George "Jo Jo" Pierre Hennard, an unemployed merchant seaman who was described by others as angry and withdrawn, with a dislike of women, drove his blue 1987 Ford Ranger pickup truck through the front window of a Luby's cafeteria at 1705 East Central Texas Expressway in Killeen. Yelling "This is what Bell County did to me!", Hennard then opened fire on its patrons and staff with a Glock 17 pistol and, later, a Ruger P89. He stalked, shot, and killed 23 people while wounding another 20 before committing suicide. At least 80 people were in the restaurant at the time.
    ================================================

In regards to the Luby's Masscre.
    --------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0B...eature=related

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Misleading thread title.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Isn't it more the media that incited this since they covered the CO incident 24/7 for a week+ and kept plastering the shooters name and face all over the screen?

On Netflix, "Columbine: Understanding Why" Experts inform the media not to glorify these events since studies show within 2 weeks (I think that is the time frame) incident can occur due to the glorification..
    100% because of the continued media coverage. That's my point.

Related to the discussion above, I believe people are easily influenced. If they are predisposed to doing something, for whatever reason, don't expose them repeatedly to something that can give them motivation to carry out what they're planning. In this case, people who are thinking of committing atrocities of this nature see that Holmes is sitting alive in prison waiting for a mental health verdict. If people really want to, they'll find motivation in anything. This is directly in relation to what they're thinking.

This one event is more than it is because of the media. The exposure that it received cannot be bought in most cases. It is, without a doubt, the event that all the others will be compared to.

Every shooting from now on will be "hyped" by the media, and I'm sorry, but if even one person is influenced by this jacka$$, it's one too many.

Misleading thread title.
    Originally reported as such BY THE MEDIA.