Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: is it common for a team to blitz every play during the preseason?

  1. #1
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    355
    Post Thanks / Like

    is it common for a team to blitz every play during the preseason?

    Rewatching the Bengals game and the Bengals blitzed on all but one play when the first teams were on the field. Of course, the line needs to handle it...but jeez, we give them no wildcat and they thank us by performing a blitzkrieg? Unless, of course, Rex asked for it (Holy conspiracy, Batman!)

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    idk but it seems like more teams have been doing it since the Jets in 2009.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is very weird. Good observation.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    1,892
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY State of Mind View Post
    Rewatching the Bengals game and the Bengals blitzed on all but one play when the first teams were on the field. Of course, the line needs to handle it...but jeez, we give them no wildcat and they thank us by performing a blitzkrieg? Unless, of course, Rex asked for it (Holy conspiracy, Batman!)
    Wasn't just bringing more guys, they were design blitzes like delays and stunts. Definitely not a vanilla defense.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Rex and Lewis had an agreement not to run a Tebow wildcat against the Bengals defense, maybe Rex in return asked Lewis to blitz as much as possible, in order to test our offensive line... I have no idea though.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marvin Lewis was the DC for the 2000 Ravens Super Bowl - maybe just a reminder of who is boss

    The oline is bad with no help in sight - looked a lot like most games last year

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Marvin Lewis was the DC for the 2000 Ravens Super Bowl - maybe just a reminder of who is boss

    The oline is bad with no help in sight - looked a lot like most games last year
    And yet Sparano said he was only unhappy with the blocking on one play when McElroy was under center.

    On the plays where Sanchez was sacked, Keller was wide open and Sparano said that is a breakdown of the defense.

  8. #8
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was under that impression too but I've noticed in the past few years that its gone out the window. The Jets, too, have done it so its not like teams are targeting the Jets. The Jets, on several occasions sent DBs at the QB on Fri nite.

    It may well be that blitzing is becoming more of the norm (especially on 3rd down) that its natural that teams will incorporate them more into their preseason packages to practice them.

    You don't want to roll out your entire play book in the preseason, but its not as if its the Pro Bowl and you only have to rush 3 guys. Running a stunt isn't necessarily giving anything away.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,035
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    And yet Sparano said he was only unhappy with the blocking on one play when McElroy was under center.
    No, Sparano said that was the only "breakdown". It makes sense. The whole point of blitzing is to rush more guys than the O-line can normally block. I thought most of the pressure on our QBs was due to poor blocking / blitz pickups by the RBs and TEs. Not saying the O-line was good by any means but let's not throw them all under the bus.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,278
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teng View Post
    No, Sparano said that was the only "breakdown". It makes sense. The whole point of blitzing is to rush more guys than the O-line can normally block. I thought most of the pressure on our QBs was due to poor blocking / blitz pickups by the RBs and TEs. Not saying the O-line was good by any means but let's not throw them all under the bus.
    Great points!!!

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teng View Post
    No, Sparano said that was the only "breakdown". It makes sense. The whole point of blitzing is to rush more guys than the O-line can normally block. I thought most of the pressure on our QBs was due to poor blocking / blitz pickups by the RBs and TEs. Not saying the O-line was good by any means but let's not throw them all under the bus.
    I took another look at the game to see the breakdowns. This is for the one's only.
    First sack was just a good blitz design. Everyone picked up their guy, they stunted Malugau(sp) inside and he made the play. Hard for Powell to pick up two guys.
    Second sack was on Cumberland.
    Pressure was on Brick and one on Austin.
    To me, the line looked to be going half speed as if not to get hurt.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying the Bengals were not "vanilla" on defense?

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    its the preseason, everyone plays a vanilla Offense and Defense. just face it, our OL coundnt handle the bengals vanilla D

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    its the preseason, everyone plays a vanilla Offense and Defense. just face it, our OL coundnt handle the bengals vanilla D
    You're like the best fan.

    _

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    3,267
    Post Thanks / Like
    they we not blitzing, it just looked like that as the oline was swiss cheese....

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,688
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    its the preseason, everyone plays a vanilla Offense and Defense. just face it, our OL coundnt handle the bengals vanilla D
    Lets face it, other than to say we suck, cant do whatever, football is over your head.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,670
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about blitzing but our OLine seemed to be waltzing....possibly a foxtrot by Vlad on one play also.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 08-14-2012 at 11:35 AM.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaBayJet View Post
    If Rex and Lewis had an agreement not to run a Tebow wildcat against the Bengals defense, maybe Rex in return asked Lewis to blitz as much as possible, in order to test our offensive line... I have no idea though.
    DWC...why would they have an agreement NOT to run the wildcat? It's more likely that Soprano doesn't want to help teams to game plan for it. That's why they wouldn't let reporters give any details when they first did it in practice.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Teams will blitz us with a heavy rush because Sanchez's completion percentage vs. pressure last season was 30% for an average of 3.1 YPA.

    Until he learns how to throw under pressure, or is allowed (please, God) to scramble and make throws on the run, this will be the defensive game plan against us.

    Of course, 85% of JI posters will bemoan the offensive line for failing to block a jailbreak blitz.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY State of Mind View Post
    Rewatching the Bengals game and the Bengals blitzed on all but one play when the first teams were on the field. Of course, the line needs to handle it...but jeez, we give them no wildcat and they thank us by performing a blitzkrieg? Unless, of course, Rex asked for it (Holy conspiracy, Batman!)
    Good QB's eat blitzes alive.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us