Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Pennington @ TC today

Veteran
    It's crazy how Chad Pennington threads run... This is Chad in a nutshell:

Chad had one very good season in 2002 filling in for Vinny. He was a non factor in 2003 after hurting his left hand in PS, a wasted season. He gets a huge contract in 2004, the Jets start 5-0 gets hurts misses 3 games and struggled the rest of the season winning just 2 more games and one playoff game. Two shoulder injuries in 2005, wasted season. He should be commended for his 2006 season considering all that he went through up to this point. So Chad basically had 3 good seasons as a Jet. It's been stated a thousand times on here, if he didn't hurt his shoulder he would have been a dangerous QB.

End of story

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    It's not.

I respect that you are a mod.

Do want you want, it really wasn't that bad.
    The endless badgering and name-calling between everyone here gets tiring, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    It's crazy how Chad Pennington threads run... This is Chad in a nutshell:

Chad had one very good season in 2002 filling in for Vinny. He was a non factor in 2003 after hurting his left hand in PS, a wasted season. He gets a huge contract in 2004, the Jets start 5-0 gets hurts misses 3 games and struggled the rest of the season winning just 2 more games and one playoff game. Two shoulder injuries in 2005, wasted season. He should be commended for his 2006 season considering all that he went through up to this point. So Chad basically had 3 good seasons as a Jet. It's been stated a thousand times on here, if he didn't hurt his shoulder he would have been a dangerous QB.

End of story
    Chad was never a dangerous QB and would never have been regardless of the injuries. See my post above, he played the position like a diplomat. He had so much success in 2002 because he's the polar opposite of Vinny T. Vinny led a vertical offense that took tons of shots deep. Chad came in dinking and dunking underneath while the opponent's Safeties were still playing us as if Vinny was the QB. The Raiders exposed him.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    I know the history but he did get called a stupid ******* first
    And what difference does that make?

I have no thoughts about any other poster on this board, I take my lumps when deserved and I face the music, from everyone, all fair.

But I'm tired of this one jackal ruining this board, he is a BIG reason why this board has deteriorated, a BIG BIG reason, and it has gone on for a LONG time.

Anyway, I'm a HUGE Pennington supporter.

That's mine not SARS

Darn it; you got me, ragu! Please do not post this with my name in the "What JI posters really look like" thread!

I think it's great that Chad can come in for a day and work some more with Sanchez (& Tebow); we all know Pennington was successful with Sparano & the Wildcat in 2008. If the shoulder had held on he'd still be in Miami, but sadly it was not meant to be. As one of the most respected NFL players of the last decade for his football IQ, in my opinion it would a plus to have him as part of the Jets franchise in some capacity.

Cimini: Chad Pennington visits Jets camp

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Amid the hysteria over their Wildcat offense, the New York Jets invited a voice of calm to training camp on Tuesday.

They welcomed back Chad Pennington, good-will ambassador of the Wildcat.

The former Jets quarterback enjoyed perhaps his best NFL season in 2008, when he played for the Miami Dolphins and coach Tony Sparano, who is attempting to recreate Wildcat magic in his first season as the Jets' offensive coordinator.

Pennington spent the day with the Jets, watching practice and attending quarterback meetings. He has become a mentor to Mark Sanchez, and he spent time during practice talking to Tim Tebow on the sideline.

With his old team planning to use a two-quarterback system, which critics say is a controversy waiting to happen, Pennington was the ideal person to preach the positives of the Wildcat and Sparano's system.

He disputed the notion, floated by wide receiver Santonio Holmes before training camp, that a two-quarterback system will disrupt the starter's rhythm.

"I think that's selfish," Pennington said after practice. "If you think as a quarterback this game is solely about you, I think you're sadly mistaken. This is the greatest team game ever invented.

"For a quarterback to gripe about whether he's getting in rhythm or not ... grab the football and make a play. That's what it's about."

That, of course, is music to Rex Ryan's ears.

Even though there have been no signs of hard feelings, the Jets are only one slip of the tongue away from a controversy. They need Sanchez and Tebow to buy in.

Pennington said the Jets have the ability to write a "neat story, a good, solid success story ... This situation can be the epitome of what this game is all about. We try to individualize this game with fantasy football and stats and numbers. But this game is about the people in the locker room."

Pennington was unceremoniously released by the Jets in August, 2008, when they traded for Brett Favre, but he reconnected with them in February. He and Sanchez hooked up for study sessions at a hotel in South Florida, near Pennington's home. Pennington, always known as a cerebral player, gave Sanchez the lowdown on Sparano and his philosophy.

Early Tuesday morning, Pennington met with the man who cut him -- general manager Mike Tannenbaum -- in the lobby of a Cortland hotel and they drove to training camp. Bygones were bygones. Tannenbaum extended the invitation recently in Canton, Ohio, where they both attended Curtis Martin's Hall-of-Fame induction.

Pennington said the Wildcat could be a "great weapon" for the Jets, and he should know. In 2008, the Dolphins ran an NFL-high 89 Wildcat plays, averaging 6.5 yards per play and scoring a total of eight touchdowns, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Sparked by the Wildcat, the Pennington-led Dolphins won the AFC East, tying a league record for fewest turnovers in a season.

"If we can protect the football like that ... oh, man," Ryan said.

Pennington said the Wildcat shouldn't require any adjustment if the players are focused on winning. Of course, he didn't have to share the quarterback duties in 2008. The Jets are planning to use Tebow in the Wildcat, in some cases replacing Sanchez on the field.

Pennington doesn't see that as a problem.

"If the Wildcat allows you to win and be more successful, you should be all for it as a player," said Pennington, whose career ended in 2010 because of multiple shoulder injuries.

The Jets created national headlines Monday by practicing the Wildcat for the first time, albeit amid a shroud of secrecy. It's a polarizing concept, with critics saying it's a gimmicky offense that won't work anymore.
    Enter, Pennington. It was a perfectly timed appearance that seemed almost like a PR move by the team.

"It was great having him out there," Ryan said. "It was fantastic."

Pennington addressed the Jets after practice, stressing the importance of teamwork. Later, he told reporters that he's "invested" in the Jets because of his relationship with Sanchez. They share a bond: They know how hard it is to play in the New York market.

"From what I've seen from afar and now being here, Mark is throwing the ball better than I've even seen him throw," said Pennington, praising Sanchez's control, ball placement and body language.

"He's definitely gotten better through the offseason. He made a point to take it up to the next level. Kudos to him because that's a decision you have to make as a pro, to listen to the criticism and do something about it."

Sanchez met with Pennington before the Tebow trade, which changed the dynamics. Pennington recalled exactly what he told Sanchez when the trade happened:

"Guess what? Look at the bright side. You don't have to do as many interviews."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...chez-tim-tebow

You know what? I see nothing to be excited about with this dysfunctional team and organization, however, knowing Chad Pennington is in our camp makes me feel really good as if he almost brings an air of legitimacy to this mess that is team Florham Park.

Practice Squad
    Sign this beast!

Hall Of Fame
    He disputed the notion, floated by wide receiver Santonio Holmes before training camp, that a two-quarterback system will disrupt the starter's rhythm.

"I think that's selfish," Pennington said after practice. "If you think as a quarterback this game is solely about you, I think you're sadly mistaken. This is the greatest team game ever invented.

"For a quarterback to gripe about whether he's getting in rhythm or not ... grab the football and make a play. That's what it's about."
    Would love to know what the exact Q&A on that was.

Did the reporter reference Santonio in the question to Pennington? And was it Cimini who asked the question. Chad is clearly talking about it from a QB's perspective but I have a feeling that Santonio will be asked about it. Its almost as if Cimini is making it look like Chad called Santonio selfish.

I could be reading into it a bit too much but Cimini does not get the benefit of the doubt.

I do like Chad's POV on the topic BTW. I like how he doesn't make excuses.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-15-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Would love to know what the exact Q&A on that was.

Did the reporter reference Santonio in the question to Pennington? And was it Cimini who asked the question. Chad is clearly talking about it from a QB's perspective but I have a feeling that Santonio will be asked about it. Its almost as if Cimini is making it look like Chad called Santonio selfish.

I could be reading into it a bit too much but Cimini does not get the benefit of the doubt.

I do like Chad's POV on the topic BTW. I like how he doesn't make excuses.
    No, you aren't reading into it, this is typical media hype creation. Everyone forgets Holmes first said basically that we did not have a 2 QB system. That entirely changes the context of the statement they are clinging to.

The Jets created national headlines Monday by practicing the Wildcat for the first time, albeit amid a shroud of secrecy. It's a polarizing concept, with critics saying it's a gimmicky offense that won't work anymore.
    Enter, Pennington. It was a perfectly timed appearance that seemed almost like a PR move by the team.
    Even if the JETS themselves are not caring about "PR moves" the damage is done. Blame it on the JETS, blame it on the media, it doesnt really matter. Public perception is the the JETS are "hollow" when it comes to what builds championships but they are too concerned with things other than just winning. If the perception is that the JETS are more about "PR moves" then there has to be some truth to it. "PR moves" are the aura of the JETS. At this point Im not sure if Woody, Rex, and Tanny can ever change that perception.

Jets Insider VIP
    Copernicuzzzzzzz

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    You know what? I see nothing to be excited about with this dysfunctional team and organization, however, knowing Chad Pennington is in our camp makes me feel really good as if he almost brings an air of legitimacy to this mess that is team Florham Park.
    +1...............Not sure how anyone who has followed this organization for even a few years can feel confident about this season and the current regime. The way that last season ended was pathetic to a loyal fan base like ours. I cant understand how more fans are not demanding more accountability. IMHO, we did not just lose a few games at the end of last season. It was Rex, Woody, and Tanny being exposed for incompetence and lack of effort. For not working hard and doing the things that need to be done in building championships.

Jets Insider VIP
    That's mine not SARS

THIS is friggin awesome.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    +1...............Not sure how anyone who has followed this organization for even a few years can feel confident about this season and the current regime. The way that last season ended was pathetic to a loyal fan base like ours. I cant understand how more fans are not demanding more accountability. IMHO, we did not just lose a few games at the end of last season. It was Rex, Woody, and Tanny being exposed for incompetence and lack of effort. For not working hard and doing the things that need to be done in building championships.
    Careful...the kool aid drinkers will start to stone you in the public square. This team, based on last year and off season, provides no reason to be optimistic that we will be better than 8 and 8 until they prove it.

I am glad Chad is there as well. Heart of a lion, arm of an earth worm but his prescence can't hurt.

Even if the JETS themselves are not caring about "PR moves" the damage is done. Blame it on the JETS, blame it on the media, it doesnt really matter. Public perception is the the JETS are "hollow" when it comes to what builds championships but they are too concerned with things other than just winning. If the perception is that the JETS are more about "PR moves" then there has to be some truth to it. "PR moves" are the aura of the JETS. At this point Im not sure if Woody, Rex, and Tanny can ever change that perception.
    give tanny credit for trying. after pennington's injuries and dink offense they traded for farve. when he got hurt they traded up for sanchez. they got braylon and santonio and tomlinson. they drafted keller. they tried to develop a vertical offense. it just didn't work out. so they're trying something else. it may not work but it sure it grabbing headlines from the defending superbowl champs.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Great post Cope. The answer? Two choices:

1. Bunch of low-standards Mets fans who don't know what accountability looks like, are accustomed to rooting for pretty faces that produce lousy baseball. Last year's 0-3 collapse was the second or third worst moment in Jets history, the Cruz TD the equivalent of the fake spike, but these blind homers just want to rest their laurels on two lame wildcard seasons that both ended in horrible losses 60 minutes short of the Super Bowl because it's the best that their sports teams have produced since 1987 and that is enough for them. Rex Ryan is entertaining, Mike Tannenbaum keeps the circus well-stocked with clowns, it's better than a re-run of Seinfeld.

2. It's blind homer schtick. Jump on anyone with a critical point of view with personal attacks because it stirs the pot and makes them feel like 'true' Jets fans.

Either way, they'll be gone in October. They run and hide in November and December when they're again proven wrong and don't come back to face the consequences of their July and August harassment. Repeats itself this way every year, nothing new now.

The good news? When I'm at the stadium, sitting in my seats, I'm surrounded by high-standards Jets fans that speak very bluntly, very honestly. They sound nothing like the 3 or 4 cultists we have here. These guys don't represent the fanbase at all.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Copernicuzzzzzzz

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    I just dont get responses like this. You take the time to type my name with a bunch of "zzzzzs" but do not have the time for a response? Were you satisfied with the way the JETS played on Friday? Did you watch the first pre season game? You would have thought that after such a pathetic ending to last season they would have played with so much more inspiration and effort. Instead fans are supposed to believe that the JETS wanted to show nothing and they are going to surprise the world with their hidden plays. Good FN grief!!! Are you really buying this? Again, forget about just being a good team, about working hard and beating your opponent no, the JETS are going to surprise everyone with trickery!!!!! I will not spend one dime on this current regime who's sole purpose is to sell a product and if we win secondly, then thats good too..........

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

I just dont get responses like this. You take the time to type my name with a bunch of "zzzzzs" but do not have the time for a response? Were you satisfied with the way the JETS played on Friday? Did you watch the first pre season game? You would have thought that after such a pathetic ending to last season they would have played with so much more inspiration and effort. Instead fans are supposed to believe that the JETS wanted to show nothing and they are going to surprise the world with their hidden plays. Good FN grief!!! Are you really buying this? Again, forget about just being a good team, about working hard and beating your opponent no, the JETS are going to surprise everyone with trickery!!!!! I will not spend one dime on this current regime who's sole purpose is to sell a product and if we win secondly, then thats good too..........
    Cope:

Don't let the Blind Homer Cult get under your skin. It's what they want, it's the game they play. They aren't serious. It's just schtick. They disappear in October. Bear with it a bit longer. What sucks is they crash every thread with their act. A few more weeks, they'll be gone, Jets Insider will all be good again.

SAR I

All League
    after reading through a lot of posts, not only in this thread but in many threads, i'm surprised (well not really) that so many people say the FO has been incompetent for years. this is highlighted by last years disappointing season.

when the Jets went to the AFCCG in Sanchez' rookie season, you could find thousands of posters on this site praising the FO and saying things like 'finally, we're competing and we'll be in this thing for years to come'. and i don't think you had many saying things like 'wait, this is just an illusion'.

then, in Sanchez' second season we are repeats in the AFCCG and the FO accolades continue, even turned up a notch. 'look at us....we're real folks'.

now suddenly the FO is incompetent and has been for years?

jeez...make up your mind