Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Pennington @ TC today

Quote Originally Posted by tedtedthefootballhead View Post
    after reading through a lot of posts, not only in this thread but in many threads, i'm surprised (well not really) that so many people say the FO has been incompetent for years. this is highlighted by last years disappointing season.

when the Jets went to the AFCCG in Sanchez' rookie season, you could find thousands of posters on this site praising the FO and saying things like 'finally, we're competing and we'll be in this thing for years to come'. and i don't think you had many saying things like 'wait, this is just an illusion'.

then, in Sanchez' second season we are repeats in the AFCCG and the FO accolades continue, even turned up a notch. 'look at us....we're real folks'.

now suddenly the FO is incompetent and has been for years?

jeez...make up your mind
    if sanchez developed each year the way we hoped, the FO are full of geniuses. after last season's swoon they're full of morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Having Chad in for a day or two is fine. He definitely does bring intelligence to the table
    Not for nothing but Penny would be a much needed resource to help Mark focus on the game and tune out the noise. The fans still love this guy, even if he was overrated

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by tedtedthefootballhead View Post
    after reading through a lot of posts, not only in this thread but in many threads, i'm surprised (well not really) that so many people say the FO has been incompetent for years. this is highlighted by last years disappointing season.

when the Jets went to the AFCCG in Sanchez' rookie season, you could find thousands of posters on this site praising the FO and saying things like 'finally, we're competing and we'll be in this thing for years to come'. and i don't think you had many saying things like 'wait, this is just an illusion'.

then, in Sanchez' second season we are repeats in the AFCCG and the FO accolades continue, even turned up a notch. 'look at us....we're real folks'.

now suddenly the FO is incompetent and has been for years?

jeez...make up your mind

When the Jets have a perfectly healthy QB for an entire season, we're averaging 10 wins a season for the past 15 years.

While not acceptable because we didn't win a Championship, we just experienced the best run the Jets have ever had in their history. And we owe that to Bill Parcells and his protegee Mike Tannenbaum.

Tannenbaum's mistake (or Woody Johnson's, if you prefer) is that we keep handing the keys to the team to a rookie head coach who cuts his teeth here and never amounts to anything ever again.

Groh, Edwards, Mangini, Ryan. Rookie, Rookie, Rookie, Rookie. College, Broadcasting, Nothing, Entertaining. I feel very strongly that had we brought in an experienced guy during those last 15 years, a guy that the players could really respect, we might have snuck in a-la the wildcard Giants and won it all. In the meantime, the Jets are the wasteland of bad rookie head coaches, sucked into the vortex of fail instead of attracting someone who's actually accomplished something already.

As it stands today, we're in rebuilding mode and most Jets fans are in denial. Sometimes I forget that there are 30 year old Jets fans posting here that have never seen the Jets as a sad-sack rebuilding project. They became fans when they were 12 and only know this 10 win potential team their whole lives. Must be nice.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I just dont get responses like this. You take the time to type my name with a bunch of "zzzzzs" but do not have the time for a response? Were you satisfied with the way the JETS played on Friday? Did you watch the first pre season game? You would have thought that after such a pathetic ending to last season they would have played with so much more inspiration and effort. Instead fans are supposed to believe that the JETS wanted to show nothing and they are going to surprise the world with their hidden plays. Good FN grief!!! Are you really buying this? Again, forget about just being a good team, about working hard and beating your opponent no, the JETS are going to surprise everyone with trickery!!!!! I will not spend one dime on this current regime who's sole purpose is to sell a product and if we win secondly, then thats good too..........
    Ill make it easy for you. Your hundreds of long diatribes against the Jets are ALL the same post

They are lame and put me to sleep (thus the zzzzzzzzs) but any response is unnecessary really because it's already been made months ago back in March when you stopped discussing and began ranting

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    I just dont get responses like this. You take the time to type my name with a bunch of "zzzzzs" but do not have the time for a response? Were you satisfied with the way the JETS played on Friday? Did you watch the first pre season game? You would have thought that after such a pathetic ending to last season they would have played with so much more inspiration and effort. Instead fans are supposed to believe that the JETS wanted to show nothing and they are going to surprise the world with their hidden plays. Good FN grief!!! Are you really buying this? Again, forget about just being a good team, about working hard and beating your opponent no, the JETS are going to surprise everyone with trickery!!!!! I will not spend one dime on this current regime who's sole purpose is to sell a product and if we win secondly, then thats good too..........
    The below post sums it up....

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    It's crazy how Chad Pennington threads run... This is Chad in a nutshell:

Chad had one very good season in 2002 filling in for Vinny. He was a non factor in 2003 after hurting his left hand in PS, a wasted season. He gets a huge contract in 2004, the Jets start 5-0 gets hurts misses 3 games and struggled the rest of the season winning just 2 more games and one playoff game. Two shoulder injuries in 2005, wasted season. He should be commended for his 2006 season considering all that he went through up to this point. So Chad basically had 3 good seasons as a Jet. It's been stated a thousand times on here, if he didn't hurt his shoulder he would have been a dangerous QB.

End of story

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Great post Cope. The answer? Two choices:

1. Bunch of low-standards Mets fans who don't know what accountability looks like, are accustomed to rooting for pretty faces that produce lousy baseball. Last year's 0-3 collapse was the second or third worst moment in Jets history, the Cruz TD the equivalent of the fake spike, but these blind homers just want to rest their laurels on two lame wildcard seasons that both ended in horrible losses 60 minutes short of the Super Bowl because it's the best that their sports teams have produced since 1987 and that is enough for them. Rex Ryan is entertaining, Mike Tannenbaum keeps the circus well-stocked with clowns, it's better than a re-run of Seinfeld.

2. It's blind homer schtick. Jump on anyone with a critical point of view with personal attacks because it stirs the pot and makes them feel like 'true' Jets fans.

Either way, they'll be gone in October. They run and hide in November and December when they're again proven wrong and don't come back to face the consequences of their July and August harassment. Repeats itself this way every year, nothing new now.

The good news? When I'm at the stadium, sitting in my seats, I'm surrounded by high-standards Jets fans that speak very bluntly, very honestly. They sound nothing like the 3 or 4 cultists we have here. These guys don't represent the fanbase at all.

SAR I
    SAR, I've been reading your posts for years and believe you are right on the money with this. The success of getting to two championship games in years 1 and 2 under Rex has blinded some to the major holes that needed to be filled. We backed into the playoffs both times under Rex because of debilitating losses at home during the season where the team was uninspired to play. MAJOR red flags went up for me then. How could this team not be ready to play with such a great, (self proclaimed), HC like rex Ryan? We got HUGE gifts two years in a row to even get a playoff birth. Every JETS fan should be pissed as all hell in the way the last season ended. Instead, Rex continues to shoot off his mouth, so do some of the players, game one of the pre season is called by some as the worst sporting event ever viewed and some fans just follow him blind ignoring what seems to be obvious.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    Not for nothing but Penny would be a much needed resource to help Mark focus on the game and tune out the noise. The fans still love this guy, even if he was overrated
    So a quarterback that's won an NCAA Championship and has already won more playoff games than 28 other NFL starters in his young career should have both Tim Tebow and Chad Pennington looking over his shoulder and messing with his head?

That's just about the worst decision the team could make. Besides, if we wanted a recently-retired quarterback to mentor Mark Sanchez there are plenty to choose from who actually won something as role models.

SAR I

So a quarterback that's won an NCAA Championship and has already won more playoff games than 28 other NFL starters in his young career should have both Tim Tebow and Chad Pennington looking over his shoulder and messing with his head?

That's just about the worst decision the team could make. Besides, if we wanted a recently-retired quarterback to mentor Mark Sanchez there are plenty to choose from who actually won something as role models.

SAR I
    that's not it at all. chad pennington's soul has been transplanted into mcelroy's body, ala heaven can wait.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

SAR, I've been reading your posts for years and believe you are right on the money with this. The success of getting to two championship games in years 1 and 2 under Rex has blinded some to the major holes that needed to be filled. We backed into the playoffs both times under Rex because of debilitating losses at home during the season where the team was uninspired to play. MAJOR red flags went up for me then. How could this team not be ready to play with such a great, (self proclaimed), HC like rex Ryan? We got HUGE gifts two years in a row to even get a playoff birth. Every JETS fan should be pissed as all hell in the way the last season ended. Instead, Rex continues to shoot off his mouth, so do some of the players, game one of the pre season is called by some as the worst sporting event ever viewed and some fans just follow him blind ignoring what seems to be obvious.
    Bottom line: Rex Ryan is averaging 9 wins per season, just like Herman Edwards and Eric Mangini. And he is doing it with a completely healthy QB wheras the other two were crippled by Testaverde and Pennington.

And he captained the biggest collapse in Jets history, going 0-3 against losing teams with the playoffs on the line.

And his vaunted defense allowed the worst Jets play in history, worse than the Fake Spike, allowing the Giants into the playoffs and another parade in Manhattan.

And worse than Edwards or Mangini is that Ryan lost the team and even admitted it.

Look, we've had our chance. We had 15 seasons with a good roster to get it done and we didn't. We eked into the wildcard and won a few playoff games. But we only won 2 each time when it takes 4. We got halfway there. Rex Ryan is a mix of Herman Edwards and Eric Mangini and that's why it doesn't work. A players-coach who was a good defensive coordinator and one-dimensional. We're rebuilding now. The defense is the focus, the offense being ignored. Things will be bright again in 2014. But today, not happening.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    that's not it at all. chad pennington's soul has been transplanted into mcelroy's body, ala heaven can wait.
    Call me crazy, but I think McElroy might turn into something. Sadly, with the OL we have now, there's a very strong possibility that Sanchez just can't take more massive hits like last season, might need Greg for real this time.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    for the record, I was never a Chad fanatic. mark's gonna have to endure a whole lot more distractions than a Chad hanging around on the sidelines.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I am not going to sit here and say that Chad was a better QB than Favre. That is stupid.

It is my belief that Mangini wanted no part of Favre. Favre sabotaged the season. His record became more important than the team's success. That was a gamble Tanny took. It is my belief that he was encouraged to take that gamble by his owner. An owner that had a new stadium to pay for and back pages to take from the Giants.

- Giants win SB, Jets trade for Favre.
    - Giants win SB, Jets trade for Tebow.

Ultimately you have to judge things in their entirety. We love to cherry-pick. I am guilty of it as well. We were 8-3 until Favre got hurt and became selfish. But we knew Favre was selfish and there was a chance that it could backfire. That was a risk that we knowingly took. Jets were 8-8 with Favre. Not 8-3. Just like we were 8-8 last year, not 8-5.

It was bad business b.c the Jets were building with Mangini and the Favre move made us automatically a "win now" team. Which is fine. But it was a sudden and stark change in plans. And that shows instability.

I don't want to make it sound like I am defending Mangini. He made plenty of mistakes and his personality was terrible when he was here. But the Jets did to Mangini in 2008 what they are doing to Sanchez this year.
    Weird that Jets fans attack the owner and GM for trying to improve the team by *gasp* bringing in established NFL stars?! This is bad?! Huh?

- Giants were not projected to win either of those Super Bowls, and were lucky to make it into the playoffs both times. They got hot and kicked butt come playoff time. Their fan base – filled mostly with arrogant, cocky, and somewhat dimwitted expectation of winning – SUPPORTED them and CHEERED them on. Unlike ours, which doubts, moans, and groans with every move. The Giants coach AND QB were both on the proverbial hot seat, even up to when they played us. They were facing Brady and the Pats in both Super Bowls. Remember those who scoffed at Eli, thought he was never going to be anywhere near as good as his brother? He now has more Super Bowls than his brother. I bring this up because public opinion doesn’t matter, UNLESS you keep hearing and reading it and start to believe it over hard work and passion. The Giants played like champs when it counted. This Jet team is capable of doing that. But if they listened to their own pessimistic fans and negative-agenda reporters, our ship is sunk. I agree with Holmes... the media IS out to destroy this team and should report the positive OVER the negative like MOST teams get covered in their home towns. And half the fans seem to be in the same boat of tearing down every thing this team does and wanting to blow it up, owner included.

- 2008: Chad got fragile and Miami got one last good year out of him before he finally busted completely. Good for them, but we were going to win the division and have home playoff games if Brett didn't get hurt, while Chad probably would've been broken in half, not just a torn muscle in his arm, if he stayed here. I'm not sure a healthy Kellen Clemens was going to be superior to a bum-winged Favre. Maybe he should've been allowed to at least try, even if Brett started and Kellen spelled him. And who was also partially responsible for that meltdown?! How about Scotty drawing up a million pass plays for a wounded QB? Much like 2011 and our wounded Sanchez with little pass protection?

- 2012: Mark has the tools, just needs a little time to read the field (AKA some blockers, please?), a good offensive system (thank God that Shotty is gone, hope Sporano works out for us), and receivers getting open and catching balls. Bringing in Tebow to supplement the O with some wildcat-esque plays and be a backup QB (something we hadn't really had in a few years now), isn't about PSLs, it's about doing your best to help the team win.

Wins bring in more people's butts in seats than one player that people are enamored with. I can't believe people actually think Woody does not want the Jets to win and ONLY wants to sell seats. The guy is intelligent, successful, and bleeds green and white, I can see that. It amazes me how many fans dislike him so strongly and believe he does not care about wins and just wants to make money, Nonsense. This club is not the LA Clippers.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Call me crazy, but I think McElroy might turn into something. Sadly, with the OL we have now, there's a very strong possibility that Sanchez just can't take more massive hits like last season, might need Greg for real this time.

SAR I
    I agree. Hell, if Brady or a Manning were in there, they don't have time to pass they're going to get hurt and/or throw picks.

Is it a curse for this club? Whatever QB plays for it gets free shots on him? We've had some hot prespects and established pros come in here through the years, and even see them show promise before we'd watch their careers die horrible injury-plagued deaths.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pennington looked and sounded awesome.

Ghey for Pennington.

Just wanted to mention the last 2 SB winners both barely made the playoffs as well....Yes we "backed in" but it only matter what you do once you get there and both years we did well.

I get SARs point that Rex has had a healthy QB, but i still go back to the day after the NE Playoff win. Sanchez had 2 games with 0 ints, 2 more road wins, one of which avenged one of the Jets worst losses ever (Monday Night in NE) and Rex had just out game-planned the Great Belichick. There wasnt a single person who didnt think both sanchez and rex were headed for greatness.

Now, after a season where Mark admittedly took steps back in his pocket presence (after he lost his all pro center) as a result of being completely shell shocked. Our OC again failed to change a single thing in the face of the mangold injury and hunters ineffectiveness. And Rex had a poor hold of the locker room and of Schotty, 70% of this place is ready to dump them both.

I mentioned this yesterday, but coming off one of the worst SB performances by a winning QB EVER (123 yards passing 0 td, 2 ints) Rothelisberger came back and through 18tds and 23 picks....Im guessing it was smart the steelers stuck with him.

Lets all wait and see how our 25 year old QB comes back from some adversity

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... he is doing exactly what a good GM should ... making any move possible that he believes will improve his team ...

l_j_r
    He should try getting a right tackle.
    Maybe Pennington could work with Hunter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Bottom line: Rex Ryan is averaging 9 wins per season, just like Herman Edwards and Eric Mangini. And he is doing it with a completely healthy QB wheras the other two were crippled by Testaverde and Pennington.

And he captained the biggest collapse in Jets history, going 0-3 against losing teams with the playoffs on the line.

And his vaunted defense allowed the worst Jets play in history, worse than the Fake Spike, allowing the Giants into the playoffs and another parade in Manhattan.

And worse than Edwards or Mangini is that Ryan lost the team and even admitted it.

Look, we've had our chance. We had 15 seasons with a good roster to get it done and we didn't. We eked into the wildcard and won a few playoff games. But we only won 2 each time when it takes 4. We got halfway there. Rex Ryan is a mix of Herman Edwards and Eric Mangini and that's why it doesn't work. A players-coach who was a good defensive coordinator and one-dimensional. We're rebuilding now. The defense is the focus, the offense being ignored. Things will be bright again in 2014. But today, not happening.

SAR I
    Agreed with all except the collapse. The 2008 collapse (albeit the Buffalo win) was devastating as we were surely headed for the playoffs at 8 and 3 after the Tenn win.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Rex Ryan is a mix of Herman Edwards and Eric Mangini and that's why it doesn't work. A players-coach who was a good defensive coordinator and one-dimensional. SAR I
    LOL - When was Mangini or Edwards ever a good defensive coordinator?

Jets Insider VIP

SAR I
    Sanchez never won a national championship.

That would be your boy Matt Leinart.

And Pennington would be an awesome QB coach. The guy was always regarded as one of the most cerebral QB's in the game. After multiple shoulder injuries, he's physical limitations were his downfall.

And according to your goofy logic of how you need to win a championship as a player to be a good coach, that would discount about 99.9% of coaches in league history.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Sanchez never won a national championship.

That would be your boy Matt Leinart.

And Pennington would be an awesome QB coach. The guy was always regarded as one of the most cerebral QB's in the game. After multiple shoulder injuries, he's physical limitations were his downfall.

And according to your goofy logic of how you need to win a championship as a player to be a good coach, that would discount about 99.9% of coaches in league history.
    Pennington would make a great coach. The guy is as smart as they come and has a great demeanor to be not only a good QB coach but also an OC.