Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Costello: Sanchez has had great camp

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Brian Costello: Sanchez has had great camp

Thought this would be worth posting, given how many people seem ready to jump off the ledge:

1. Sanchez Sizzles Getting lost in the coverage of Tim Tebow is how well Mark Sanchez has performed in this training camp. Sanchez has been throwing crisp passes and appears to be making few mental mistakes.
    Will it translate into the regular season? Who knows? The Jets need to give Sanchez some time to throw because when he does, he has shown he has a powerful arm and can be an efficient quarterback. During Monday's 7-on-7 drills where there is no pass rush, he was zipping the ball. He went 11-for-12 in the drill.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Problem with that blurb is its mostly talking about 7-7's where there's no rush.

Sanchez's biggest issue is throwing under pressure....something you cant really simulate in practice.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone thats been to TC, has he worked the sideline much? Sanchez needs to throw the outs to the sideline on a consistent basis to back off DB's. Probably Sanchez's weakness. I dunno he's got the arm but doesn't seem to use the whole field.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    Problem with that blurb is its mostly talking about 7-7's where there's no rush.

Sanchez's biggest issue is throwing under pressure....something you cant really simulate in practice.
    Any conclusions drawn from 7 on 7's is a moot point at best.

The sole purpose of 7 on 7's is timing between QB's and receivers.

Even a mediocre push rush could disrupt that timing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll get on board with the optimism here - when was the last time we heard reports of the starter at QB having a "great camp?" 2006?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Any conclusions drawn from 7 on 7's is a moot point at best.

The sole purpose of 7 on 7's is timing between QB's and receivers.

Even a mediocre push rush could disrupt that timing.
    Yes and no. When was the last offseason you heard reports of Sanchez "zipping" the ball? Or not making mental mistakes? Those are both very big steps for a guy whose biggest problem has been inconsistency.

Jets OL needs to play better. But at points in 2009 and 2010, it didn't matter how well the OL was playing, Sanchez was going to make mistakes or had throws he couldn't make.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will they ever allow him to have time that's the question. Oline is terrible right now

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Yes and no. When was the last offseason you heard reports of Sanchez "zipping" the ball? Or not making mental mistakes? Those are both very big steps for a guy whose biggest problem has been inconsistency.

Jets OL needs to play better. But at points in 2009 and 2010, it didn't matter how well the OL was playing, Sanchez was going to make mistakes or had throws he couldn't make.
    True, for Sanchez to have a good camp overall is a step in the right direction. The past 3 years he was very up and down in camps.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you doggy about the zip he seems to have on the ball. That's a very good sign. That's probably more important than his 11/12 performance.

Kinda hard to make mental mistakes in a 7 on 7 drill. That usually occurs when QB's are under pressure.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    First I have seen/heard of any optimism with Sanchez throwing the football this year. Sounds like BS to me. With that OL, the dude is doomed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez needs to put a drive together on his first or second series this Saturday where he goes like 7 or 8-10 with a few completions down the field for me to feel confident.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I agree with you doggy about the zip he seems to have on the ball. That's a very good sign. That's probably more important than his 11/12 performance.

Kinda hard to make mental mistakes in a 7 on 7 drill. That usually occurs when QB's are under pressure.
    Agreed. Not that he had all that many attempts, but he didn't have any mental mistakes in the Bengals game either.

BTW, given that most of his WRs are new (at this point, Turner is the only WR in the drill Sanchez had experience with before this year, since Holmes and Kerley are out), getting the timing down is no small thing. This isn't Brady to Branch or Welker, where the chemistry's been set for years.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'll go with the opinion of someone who has been at camp every day and has actually seen Sanchez throw the ball every day as opposed to those of us who sit behind a computer and analyze numbers and form opinions based upon those numbers.

How refreshing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. Not that he had all that many attempts, but he didn't have any mental mistakes in the Bengals game either.

BTW, given that most of his WRs are new (at this point, Turner is the only WR in the drill Sanchez had experience with before this year, since Holmes and Kerley are out), getting the timing down is no small thing. This isn't Brady to Branch or Welker, where the chemistry's been set for years.
    I don't really give a **** about preseason games - too much is made about them, IMO. But, I would really like to see Kerley play on Saturday - it would be nice for them to get some real game experience in this new offense together. I'm sure that Holmes will be out, but Kerley playing will at least be something.
    Edit - Just saw in the other thread he's not expected to play....that's too bad.

Considering its a new offense, the more reps they can get together the better. And if Patrick Turner develops a rapport with Sanchez to the point that he earns more snaps (at the expense of Kerley, Schilens and Hill), so be it - I'm fine with that. He's not a world beater, but he's competent.
    Last edited by crasherino; 08-14-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Will they ever allow him to have time that's the question. Oline is terrible right now
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    First I have seen/heard of any optimism with Sanchez throwing the football this year. Sounds like BS to me. With that OL, the dude is doomed.
    Honest question -- do we think the line is worse than last year? When Brick had a down year, Mangold missed 3 games, Slauson played hurt and Hunter was thrust into the starting lineup?

I'm not saying it's a strength -- far from it. But we weren't exactly 2-14 last year. Yes you could chalk up some of Sanchez's turnovers to being rushed, but not all of them, not by a long shot.

If we can get ANY uptick on the line from last year, along with Sanchez making better decisions (and hopefully Sparano calling a more personnel-friendly game) there's a chance the line will look better than many of us are expecting . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I think I'll go with the opinion of someone who has been at camp every day and has actually seen Sanchez throw the ball every day as opposed to those of us who sit behind a computer and analyze numbers and form opinions based upon those numbers.

How refreshing.
    Here is the problem Jordy with the numbers. Each practice they seem to look like this. 7-7 he is 5 for 6 with 3 tds and lots of yards. 11-11 he is 3 for 8 with 2 sacks and 2 ints.

The game is played 11-11

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    You haven't been paying attention. There have been loads of reports that talk about how much better Sanchez looks this year. I guess some people only hear what they want to hear. Hey, is this Cimini?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Here is the problem Jordy with the numbers. Each practice they seem to look like this. 7-7 he is 5 for 6 with 3 tds and lots of yards. 11-11 he is 3 for 8 with 2 sacks and 2 ints.

The game is played 11-11
    Understood.

But Costello is not basing his opinion solely on those 7-7 drills. He used that as an example only to illustrate that Sanchez is zipping the ball. He started off the blog by saying that Sanchez has performed well in TC.

Having said that, the OL needs to provide protection. I'm more concerned with that than I am with Sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Honest question -- do we think the line is worse than last year? When Brick had a down year, Mangold missed 3 games, Slauson played hurt and Hunter was thrust into the starting lineup?

I'm not saying it's a strength -- far from it. But we weren't exactly 2-14 last year. Yes you could chalk up some of Sanchez's turnovers to being rushed, but not all of them, not by a long shot.

If we can get ANY uptick on the line from last year, along with Sanchez making better decisions (and hopefully Sparano calling a more personnel-friendly game) there's a chance the line will look better than many of us are expecting . . .
    The media is lazy. We keep hearing how bad the OL was Friday when the protection issues were related to the TEs and RBs, at least while the starters were in. We are in need of a blocking TE if we are ground and pound

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing that was encouraging (looking for silver linings here) from the Bengals game was, not only did he not have mental mistakes (although he did miss a wide open Keller on a crossing pattern and threw to Tuner instead on the play Dunlap was injured on), but the vast majority of the few passes he threw appeared to be right on the money, despite the horrible pass protection.