Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Costello: Sanchez has had great camp

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Honest question -- do we think the line is worse than last year? When Brick had a down year, Mangold missed 3 games, Slauson played hurt and Hunter was thrust into the starting lineup?

I'm not saying it's a strength -- far from it. But we weren't exactly 2-14 last year. Yes you could chalk up some of Sanchez's turnovers to being rushed, but not all of them, not by a long shot.

If we can get ANY uptick on the line from last year, along with Sanchez making better decisions (and hopefully Sparano calling a more personnel-friendly game) there's a chance the line will look better than many of us are expecting . . .
    We're doomed I tell you...Doomed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Here is the problem Jordy with the numbers. Each practice they seem to look like this. 7-7 he is 5 for 6 with 3 tds and lots of yards. 11-11 he is 3 for 8 with 2 sacks and 2 ints.

The game is played 11-11
    This should have been the second post in this thread.

Bragging about a QB playing well in 7 on 7 drills is like a 7 footer bragging about shutting out a midget in a game of basketball.

Your starting QB should always look great in 7 on 7 drills where he has no pressure. If he doesn't, you have a big problem.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez always looks good in camp. He is a hard worker and has skills. His issues are in game. Mostly mental IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I don't really give a **** about preseason games - too much is made about them, IMO. But, I would really like to see Kerley play on Saturday - it would be nice for them to get some real game experience in this new offense together. I'm sure that Holmes will be out, but Kerley playing will at least be something.
    Edit - Just saw in the other thread he's not expected to play....that's too bad.

Considering its a new offense, the more reps they can get together the better. And if Patrick Turner develops a rapport with Sanchez to the point that he earns more snaps (at the expense of Kerley, Schilens and Hill), so be it - I'm fine with that. He's not a world beater, but he's competent.
    + a dozen

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Here is the problem Jordy with the numbers. Each practice they seem to look like this. 7-7 he is 5 for 6 with 3 tds and lots of yards. 11-11 he is 3 for 8 with 2 sacks and 2 ints.

The game is played 11-11
    I know you exagerated to make a point, which is a good point, but Sanchez isn't going 3-8 with 2 INTs in every 11-11 practice.

Look at the other reports. He's thrown only a handful of INTs overall in 11-11 and is passing over 50% in total. I think the Daily News or ESPNNY did a total for 11-11.
    Last edited by SMC; 08-14-2012 at 10:44 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post

Bragging about a QB playing well in 7 on 7 drills is like a 7 footer bragging about shutting out a midget in a game of basketball.

Your starting QB should always look great in 7 on 7 drills where he has no pressure. If he doesn't, you have a big problem.
    Did you read the paragraph in Costello's blog?

If so, is that all you took from it?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, Sanchez plays well only when he has protection and time to throw.

From what I saw on Friday, the issues with protection break downs were mostly on the TEs, RBs, and FBs. They seemed to miss a lot of assignments and this to me is the biggest area for improvement, while we don't have much time. I think we need a blocking TE pretty badly and may need a veteran RB for this reason.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Case in point, this is from Today's 11-11 (thanks to Doggin from other thread):

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Sanchez 10-for-20 today in 11-on-11s, with a TD to Keller and a sack. Tebow 2-for-9 with 2 sacks. #nyj

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    So we're saying if we actually give Sanchez some time to throw the ball, he might have a chance to succeed this year? imagine that!

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say that 90% of the starting QB's in this league are not very good passing the ball when they're getting hit and pressured like crazy. There are some exceptions but even those exceptions would be below average when compared to getting time to throw. If our Oline plays well I believe Sanchez will as well. People forget that our Oline gave up the third most sacks in the league and Sanchez still threw 28 td and only 16 ints. Much better then either of his previous 2 years where he had better Oline play.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    The media is lazy. We keep hearing how bad the OL was Friday when the protection issues were related to the TEs and RBs, at least while the starters were in. We are in need of a blocking TE if we are ground and pound
    This is the truth and no one is mentioning it. Keller and Cumberland were each responsible for a sack that I saw and Hunter didn't even play.

Not saying that makes it any better but it's not really the starting o-line that was concerning.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Honest question -- do we think the line is worse than last year? When Brick had a down year, Mangold missed 3 games, Slauson played hurt and Hunter was thrust into the starting lineup?

I'm not saying it's a strength -- far from it. But we weren't exactly 2-14 last year. Yes you could chalk up some of Sanchez's turnovers to being rushed, but not all of them, not by a long shot.

If we can get ANY uptick on the line from last year, along with Sanchez making better decisions (and hopefully Sparano calling a more personnel-friendly game) there's a chance the line will look better than many of us are expecting . . .
    there is nothing the Jets can do to have a good season in 2012.

we're destined for a 4-12 year, 6-10 tops.

at least, according to all the objective and realistic posters on JI.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Can't believe someone started a thread like this on Tebow's birthday.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post

No it's not even close to that.

All he said is that Sanchez is having a good camp. He didnt base it solely on his numbers. He's been to enough camps over the years, each year seeing 3 or more QBs working out. He should be able to use his eyes and tell if a guy is having a good or bad camp without looking at numbers.

And given that QB's, receivers and the rest of the personnel are working on things they may never use again, it's a huge assumption that its all that indicative of how their doing by their completions

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I think I'll go with the opinion of someone who has been at camp every day and has actually seen Sanchez throw the ball every day as opposed to those of us who sit behind a computer and analyze numbers and form opinions based upon those numbers.

How refreshing.
    Great post, exactly right.

The problem with some people in this thread and especially our resident troll the statement was that he has had a great can't not just in seven on seven play, Castillo has watched Sanchez all camp long and he is impressed with everything is done that's the sense that I get, especially in the mist of all the Tebow talk, which is in itself very refreshing.

I wonder where all the Tebow freaks are in this thread?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    So we're saying if we actually give Sanchez some time to throw the ball, he might have a chance to succeed this year? imagine that!
    Sh!t, you can say that about any QB in the NFL. The good ones can shrug off pressure and still complete passes. Sanchez's problem is he looks at the pressure and not down field. His pocket presense is horrible.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

That's what I was afraid of.

I guess it's off to the Draft Forum to see who's available next year @ QB, OL, WR, DB, LB, S, K, P . . .

I think we're good at DL, but I'll check on the strip every now and then to find out if that's a weakness too . . .

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    Sh!t, you can say that about any QB in the NFL. The good ones can shrug off pressure and still complete passes. Sanchez's problem is he looks at the pressure and not down field. His pocket presense is horrible.
    That would be wrong.

You're saying that the OL determines who's good or who isn't?

And if you've watched the Giants play the Pats in 2 SB's, even the great ones can't shrug off pressure to the point of pulling out games/ Completing a few passes while under duress isn't the goal, winning games is.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

The worst part is, those who predict a 4 or 6 win season are clearly the sages of this board. True objective fans, who have thought this through.

We're doomed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to hear he looks improved.

One of the things I’d like to see more of this year is recognizing pressure.

Even in the Bengals game, he got sacked 2 times, which on the surface appeared to be all on the Oline… but perhaps that wasn’t totally the case.
    A good QB recognizes blitzes and makes adjustments/calls protections to counter this.

Tebow actually did this very thing when he threw that 3rd down throw (that was dropped) to Hill. That was an pre-snap audible due to him recognizing a blitz.

Regarding the 2 sacks on Sanchez… even Sparano said those are (blitz) plays that they didn’t plan against, but that Keller was wide open, the defense was the one who made a mistake and the Jets just weren’t able to get him the ball.

I find it hard to believe that the Jets defense doesn’t dial up blitzes in practice…

so who is Sparano protecting the Oline or our QB?

One reason why I tend to think it’s on the QB is because he later said:
    He thought the line only made one mistake, a sack on McElroy.

Many times last year, Schotty alluded to plays that people felt were on the Oline, were actually on the QB. Go back and look at interviews...

I know this won’t make people happy, but just maybe it’s not all the Oline’s fault.