Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Costello: Sanchez has had great camp

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Honest question -- do we think the line is worse than last year? When Brick had a down year, Mangold missed 3 games, Slauson played hurt and Hunter was thrust into the starting lineup?

I'm not saying it's a strength -- far from it. But we weren't exactly 2-14 last year. Yes you could chalk up some of Sanchez's turnovers to being rushed, but not all of them, not by a long shot.

If we can get ANY uptick on the line from last year, along with Sanchez making better decisions (and hopefully Sparano calling a more personnel-friendly game) there's a chance the line will look better than many of us are expecting . . .
    That's a legit point of view for an optimistic fan, and we all hope it comes true. But here are the facts. As of this moment We have seen mediocre RB play, sub par OL play, we have just one true professional WR, (and he's hurt), and the QB who looked the most comfortable throwing the football is McElroy. That is not a pretty picture of the the offense so far. But that, unfortunately is where we stand to this point.

Certainly a lot can change in the next 3 weeks and the next 3 month. Tt could all turn out well, eventually. But until we actually see that will happen, we as fans have to deal with the present. And as of the present the only signs we have that are positive are the play of certain individuals. The play of the 3 entities, (offense, defense, ST's) as a unit, has been a lot less than exemplary.

As fans lets stay in the present, and if we need to be positive, lets focus on what the individuals are doing and hope they can eventually become a team

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    so who is Sparano protecting the Oline or our QB?

One reason why I tend to think it’s on the QB is because he later said:
    He thought the line only made one mistake, a sack on McElroy.
    My take was that he was responding to the question about blocking "breakdowns". He said there was only one breakdown and that was on the McElroy play. Which is where the line should have known what to do and they still screwed it up. The blitzes that they hadn't seen yet are plays where they haven't studied that yet so you can't call that a breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    My take was that he was responding to the question about blocking "breakdowns". He said there was only one breakdown and that was on the McElroy play. Which is where the line should have known what to do and they still screwed it up. The blitzes that they hadn't seen yet are plays where they haven't studied that yet so you can't call that a breakdown.
    That makes far too much sense vs. my conspiracy theory…
    Ok, ok, perhaps I was reading a bit too much into that one.

I still do think Sanchez needs to improve in his recognition skills, though.

BTW Well said!

Hall Of Fame
    Thats really sugar coating it. You mean to tell me the Jets have not worked on blitz protection yet?

All Pro
    I'm pretty sure it means that everyone blocked the right person, someone just got beat on those plays, and most of the real problems were the blitz pickups from backs, and TEs. He was talking about linemen screwing up mentally. Still what do you expect him to do? Throw his men under the bus? Then these guys would be ranting about that. People seriously have got to learn to relax.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Thats really sugar coating it. You mean to tell me the Jets have not worked on blitz protection yet?
    That was my first thought too… but I think it’s conceivable that they weren’t prepared for those “types” of blitzes this early on.

Heck look at Rex’s first game as a head coach vs. Houston.

Man that was a disaster…

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    there is nothing the Jets can do to have a good season in 2012.

we're destined for a 4-12 year, 6-10 tops.

at least, according to all the objective and realistic posters on JI.
    Yes just slightly better than last year, because we have much more depth, and speed on the Dline, and seriously upgraded the safeties. We also swapped Plaxico for Hill, and maybe Mangold, Slauson, and Moore will be healthy, so that should help a little. So if we add 3 wins we should put us as you said, at 4-12. Oh yes and the improvement shown by Sanchez can be written off has Coz being a well known Jets homer

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Just like yesterday when i would hear how Chad was shredding it up in camp. New throwing motions. Shoulder stronger than ever. Than the real games started and it was like getting pimp slapped over, over, and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Just like yesterday when i would hear how Chad was shredding it up in camp. New throwing motions. Shoulder stronger than ever. Than the real games started and it was like getting pimp slapped over, over, and over again.
    The tanning salons may have gone to your brain.

When was the last camp you heard Mark "looked stronger, was zipping it"?

When was the last camp you heard Sanchez had come in with significant extra muscle?

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post

When was the last camp you heard Sanchez had come in with significant extra muscle?
    To be fair, last year they said Mark came in stronger, looked better/sharper, there was a new confidence about him and it was obvious that “it was his team”.

All Pro
    To be fair, last year they said Mark came in stronger, looked better/sharper, there was a new confidence about him and it was obvious that “it was his team”.
    From who? The coaches? The players? Certainly not from Costello.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Any conclusions drawn from 7 on 7's is a moot point at best.

The sole purpose of 7 on 7's is timing between QB's and receivers.

Even a mediocre push rush could disrupt that timing.
    He's hitting his windows in these drills; plenty of reason to enjoy this report.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post

Last year, seriously.

No link.

Its all a crock of crap. Preseasons games dont mean anything (because our QB's suck coincidentally)

Players are faster, more muscle to bang, less muscle for speed, setting phone alarms to institute new regimens and attitudes.

Seriously. EVERY YEAR, and then opening day,,,,BAMN pimp slapped into reality.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    You haven't been paying attention. There have been loads of reports that talk about how much better Sanchez looks this year. I guess some people only hear what they want to hear. Hey, is this Cimini?
    No way; even though the foul-tempered post would indicate Cimini-ness, I think he likes a zippy sceen name; like "Ima Pinhead" or something.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post

Your starting QB should always look great in 7 on 7 drills where he has no pressure. If he doesn't, you have a big problem.
    So, you're agreeing there is no problem? Good man.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Last year, seriously.

No link.

Its all a crock of crap. Preseasons games dont mean anything (because our QB's suck coincidentally)

Players are faster, more muscle to bang, less muscle for speed, setting phone alarms to institute new regimens and attitudes.

Mostly agree with this. I'd much rather hear positives in camp than negatives and this report is somewhat nice to hear, but TC reports, for the most part, are bull****. I just don't put a lot of stock in people micro-analyzing performances or physical appearances or what someone did to get ready for the season.

I'm happy that Sanchez went to bed at 10pm every night and worked his arse off. But, I'm also pretty sure that he was diligent last year as well. Hopefully he learned from his experiences in the past and his off season workouts and regimen is even more efficient than prior years, but I think, overall, we focus too much on these reports and they are basically the same year in and year out.

Not co-signing that the QBs suck, necessarily....only that these reports are pretty much standard.

All Pro
    Last year, seriously.

No link.

We're 32-22 over the passed three years. First three years of a QBs career. 32-19 before the late season melt down, and a lot of injuries last year. Yeah pimp slapped. Ridiculous. Whine much?

Jets Insider VIP
    Last year, seriously.

No link.
    I don't have a link either, but I honestly don't remember it at all.

It doesn't make sense though. There was a lockout. Sanchez couldn't participate in any OTAs, he came into camp 7 lbs LIGHTER than he did the year before (218-225) and you're saying the stories were then he came in "stronger" and looked "sharper" with no practice?

Jets Insider VIP
    My problem with this is that it seems like Sanchez only shines in 7 on 7's with no threat of a passrush.

In 11 on 11's, he's been mediocre at best.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    My problem with this is that it seems like Sanchez only shines in 7 on 7's with no threat of a passrush.

In 11 on 11's, he's been mediocre at best.
    He hasn't got his receivers, or all his lineman. They're learning a new offense, and are going against arguably the best Defense in the NFL. I'm not saying give him 6 games, but man give him a couple of preseason games before you shoot him down. From all I've heard it's been the pressure, and the receivers that are the problem. He's apparently been on target with more velocity, and a shorter delivery. You've only seen 6 drop backs so far. You can panic if you want to, but there's reason for hope. All we really need in mediocre to be a pretty good team with this defense, until things get going.