Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GIANTS @ jets : Sat, Aug. 18 - 7:o0 pm ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow GIANTS @ jets : Sat, Aug. 18 - 7:o0 pm ~ ~ ~

After being asked about the Wildcat, Tebow-mania and the last time they played the New York Jets in the regular season, New York Giants defensive end Justin Tuck had finally had enough."That's what we're doing this session?" Tuck bristled. "The last time I checked I play for the Giants and I've only heard one question about the Giants. I really don't want to talk about the Jets."Still, he might have expected the questions. The Giants will play the Jets on Saturday at MetLife Stadium, which will technically be a home game for the Jets even though the teams share the stadium."Us playing them -- unless it's like a Super Bowl game it's really not a very big deal," defensive end Osi Umenyiora said.Particularly in the preseason. Traditionally these two teams have met in the third game of the preseason, when teams play their starters longer than a quarter.

Now that Tim Tebow is the Jets' backup quarterback, Tuck was asked if he would try to get to Tebow.

The answer: Not as much as he'll try to get to the offensive line."The quarterbacks are just bonus," Tuck said.Giants rookie cornerback Jayron Hosley said he wouldn't mind getting to Tebow, one way or another."He's going to come down someway," Hosley said. "But I mean it's all part of the game. I'm going to try to strip the ball before I tackle him, so that's more important to me, turnovers than sacks."Despite having won the most recent Super Bowl, the Giants already have lost the preseason battle for the back pages of the tabloids. The Jets have a full-time ESPN crew installed in Cortland, recording the team's every move. Linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka was asked what it was like to live in the Jets' media shadow."It depends on what you call a shadow," Kiwanuka said. "In my mind, we cast a big shadow in terms of championships, win/losses and that kind of thing. If you want to talk preseason hype, talk and all that kind of stuff, it doesn't really matter for us because there's been times that we had it and didn't really perform, then times that we didn't have it and we did perform."

Steve Weatherford, the former Jets punter in his second year with the Giants, said he considers the teams rivals, although that could be because he has worn both jerseys. There was also the not insignificant matter of the Giants' 29-14 win over the Jets last Christmas Eve, a game that sent one team reeling while the other sailed into the postseason."I think everyone knows how important that was," Weatherford said. "It was kind of what started the avalanche of wins for us. I think there was a particular play -- that 99-yard TD catch that Victor (Cruz) had -- after that play we got a burst of confidence from that and were able to parlay that into putting a lot of road wins together."But Tuck said he thinks it wasn't so much that the win was against the Jets."I think a lot of people want to give it more credit than it was," Tuck said. "For me personally the Jets are just another team that we play, I don't think we have a rivalry with the Jets. I really don't. I know we have one with our division foes, but with the Jets it's just another game we need to win."

As for divisions, Jets coach Rex Ryan declared earlier in training camp that the AFC East was the best division in football. But that platform doesn't have a lot of supporters in Albany."Rex is a great coach, man," Umenyiora said. "He's been around the game for a long time and he's entitled to his own opinion. Obviously, you have New England in that division. You have Buffalo is an up-and-coming team, you have the Jets. The have a very good division, but the NFC East is perennially the toughest division in football and that's the way it remains this year."Tuck has heard comments from around the NFL, implying that the Giants weren't the best team in the league even if they were the last team standing. "Some sore losers in the world, eh?" Tuck said. "Last time I checked we won the Super Bowl."The Giants looked good in their first preseason game. Eli Manning and the first-team offense scored, unlike the Jets under starting quarterback Mark Sanchez. Tuck said they just want to spend the next preseason game focused on themselves."We don't get caught up with the Tebow-manias of the world," Tuck said. "I guess would be the right phrase. We worry about what goes on at Giants camp."Which their team motto seems to most succinctly express.

"Talk is cheap, play the game."

> http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...jets-questions

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gross :
    Jets should take lessons from Giants

> http://www.northjersey.com/sports/16...om_Giants.html

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    for giants’ weatherford, beating jets would be ‘pretty sweet’

> http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...-pretty-sweet/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    fyi :

~ ~ - Hakeem Nicks is back, liberated from the PUP list after passing his physical. He will be limited for three practices, so he won’t be able to play on Saturday when the Giants play the Jets at MetLife Stadium in the second preseason game. But he will finally be able to get back with his teammates after 12 weeks healing a broken foot.“I’m very excited about that,” Nicks told the Giants in a statement. “They’re letting me know that by the beginning of next week I can start doing some stuff with the team; some individual and stuff like that. They still want me to take it slow and be smart about it. But I feel good about being out there progressing myself with the team slowly but surely.”

The Giants sent DT Martin Parker (ribs) and DT Shaun Rogers (leg) to the Hospital for Special Surgery for tests on their respective injuries, but Giants coach Tom Coughlin didn’t have an update on their condition.

One player Coughlin wasn’t happy about is linebacker Michael Boley, who has not practiced due to a hamstring injury.“We’re scratching our head on that one,” Coughlin said. “I just keep looking at time going by. It’s not a very good subject.”OL David Diehl had his right leg wrapped on the sideline during practice.S Antrel Rolle had a wrap on his right thigh for practice, but took part in team drills. CB Michael Coe (hamstring) worked on the sideline. T James Brewer (back) and DE Justin Trattou (ankle) were not on the field for team drills. T Will Beatty (back) continued to add reps as he improves. WR David Douglas (quad) also got some more work.WR Dominick Hixon, who had a hamstring injury that kept him out of the Jaguars game, practiced fully

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...injury-updates

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope the Giants win 67-0

I am so sick of Rex Ryan, Tim Teblow, and the entire NY Jets (dis) organization already, and the amount of coverage they get for doing/accomplishing absolutely nothing.

I never thought I would hate my favorite team so much. They made me do it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    word has it, that this preseason game is more important to woody johnson then the regular season. he knows he wont be hoisting a lombardi trophy anytime soon, so his next goal is the crappy metlife bowl trophy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Publisher's Pen
    NFL fans robbed by preseason games

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...reseason-games

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh ,
    jets by 10

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    sup, dude..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    I hope the Giants win 67-0

I am so sick of Rex Ryan, Tim Teblow, and the entire NY Jets (dis) organization already, and the amount of coverage they get for doing/accomplishing absolutely nothing.

I never thought I would hate my favorite team so much. They made me do it.
    So its the Jets that made you into the troll that you are?

Sure, cool story

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    sup, dude..
    hi jordy ! !

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    WR victor cruz on saturday's test...

> http://www.giants.com/media-vault/vi...e-dcd9223e9ef0

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brandon Jacobs is right about this: The Jets have a looooong way to go to catch the Giants in the battle of New York.Gotham City is Giants country and it will be that way for a while. The Giants have earned it with two recent championships and four Super Bowls since 1970. The Jets have zero titles in that same span.The Jets currently are winning the media battle in New York, thanks to the acquisition of quarterback Tim Tebow. But that's all the Jets are winning.Jacobs told CBSSports.com he's not sure what the Jets' problem is. So we offered some assistance.

Here are several reasons why the Jets continue to fall behind the Giants :

•Quarterback gap : There's a big difference between Eli Manning of the Giants and Mark Sanchez of the Jets. Quarterback is the most important position on the field. The Giants have an elite player at the position, while the Jets are average and inconsistent. When things go wrong in other areas of the team or there are injuries, Manning can lift the Giants' level of play and continue to win games. Sanchez needs everything around him to go right, which makes it harder to win consistently and compete for a championship.

•Crisis management : The Giants also handle distractions much better than the Jets. Both teams face the same intense media pressure in New York. But while the Giants thrive, the Jets can let it tear the team apart. Last year's implosion by the Jets was a perfect example, and they are still trying to recover from it. If the Jets want to own New York City, they need to know how to stay together.

•Coaching matters : The Giants have Tom Coughlin, who has tons of experience and is a possible Hall of Fame coach with two championships. The Jets have Rex Ryan, who has just three years of experience and continues to learn on the job. Ryan started fast with two playoff runs but made his biggest gaffe as Jets coach last year. Ryan did not have a handle on the pulse of his locker room and things fell apart. This is a big fourth-year for Ryan to get it right.

Until these three things change, the Giants will continue to have a big advantage over the Jets. Championships matter in New York City and the Giants have figured out the right formula.Maybe the Jets' chemistry improves, and Sanchez and Ryan are able to eventually catch up to Manning and Coughlin. But I don't see this happening anytime soon.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...ut-jets-giants

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    kel

do me a favor -- when you post an article like this just tell us it's written by that ignoramus James Walker so anybody with a brain can just scroll past his agenda driven crap without reading it

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

In what has become a New York tradition, the Jets and Giants will face off in the preseason in their shared East Rutherford home. Though the two only play a regular season game every four years, they have played each other in the preseason every year since 1969, shortly after the AFL-NFL Merger. Obviously, preseason results don’t matter and are often tediously non-competitive, with backups galore. But because the Jets-Giants game still acts as a proxy for the pride of New York, it is one of the few matchups with some importance.

This upcoming season in particular has had increased interest from fans on both sides. With the Giants coming off a Super Bowl victory, and the Jets unveiling media star Tim Tebow, watching the backups in the second half may be less dull than a usual preseason game.However, our research of ticket prices on secondary markets does not show any increased demand for that preseason matchup compared to previous Big Apple showdowns. The average price on secondary markets to the Giants-Jets preseason game is $74, which is slightly lower than last year’s $77 ticket. And neither of those prices stand up to the $107 average for the 2010 preseason game, which coincided with the opening of the new Giants Stadium.Still, that cost per ticket is the 10th-most expensive of the 65 total preseason games, and far outpaces the overall preseason price of $47 per ticket. It’s also the most expensive of any exhibition games involving either the Jets or Giants this year. That includes the Giants juicy (for the preseason, at least) matchup against the Patriots, a repeat of last year’s Super Bowl matchup, which is selling for $70 a ticket.

The Jets are the nominal home team in this year’s matchup, which will be the most expensive preseason game for the Jets since, you guessed it, the last time they “hosted” the Giants in 2010. In general, Giants fans are much more willing to pay to see their team play preseason games over the past three years. Excluding the Jets-Giants matchups, Jets fans have only paid an average of $39 for a preseason ticket, while Giants supporters spent $70 preseason average.Although the average ticket price for this year’s game is $74, individual purchases have been all over the map. Several fans purchased tickets in upper sections for $10 apiece, the cheapest ticket thus far. At the other end of the spectrum, one person bought four tickets priced at $600 each to sit in the Coaches Club Section 113.Tickets of all prices remain through our SeatGeek event page, and start at $24 for a seat in Section 305, Row 20 and range up to $1106 for a seat in Section 149, Row 12.

> http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/blo...season-tickets

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    i was able to get face value for the Giant game but only 75 per ticket for the Panthers