Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Demps wants to play football.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff Demps wants to play football.

Former Gator RB and Olympic 100m sprinter ready to play football again. I think Jets need to get this guy in camp. Would be excellent return man for westoff at the very least and a Sproles clone at the very most.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see it now: Jets sign Demps and then trade Holmes for Percy Harvin and people will think it's a Tebow conspiracy on the part of the coaching staff.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude is obviously fast. He'd have to bulk up for a year just to get to Woodhead's size though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He isnt that much smaller then chris rainey who the steelers drafted.

I would love to see him in here....whats the story though, does he need to enter the supplemental draft?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Dude is obviously fast. He'd have to bulk up for a year just to get to Woodhead's size though.
    Not sure why that would matter, unless the plan was to run him right up the gut. He's a speed guy. Give him some daylight and he's gone. Throw to him out of the backfield, and he's gone.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    no more gators

one of them is already approaching too many

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rotoworld says he is a free agent.

Im surprised he can become a FA so quickly.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    He isnt that much smaller then chris rainey who the steelers drafted.

I would love to see him in here....whats the story though, does he need to enter the supplemental draft?
    Think he's an UDFA who can be signed by anyone.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rotoworld says he is a free agent.

Im surprised he can become a FA so quickly.
    He went undrafted because he told the NFL that he wanted to pursue other things after graduation. Since no one drafted him, he's like any guy on the street.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This message is hidden because Demosthenes9 is on your ignore list with all the other Teboneheads

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    This message is hidden because Demosthenes9 is on your ignore list with all the other Teboneheads
    am i the only one who loves reading about who sg3 is pretending to ignore?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    He went undrafted because he told the NFL that he wanted to pursue other things after graduation. Since no one drafted him, he's like any guy on the street.
    I was going to say, what if a higher ranked guy did that in an attempt to make himself a FA, but someone could just draft his rights. Gotcha

I read the Bucs are hot after him, but I would love to see him here. He is listed at 5'8 190 lbs which is not that small....pretty stout given his height.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Demps is fast, but I dont think he is the same player as Rainey. Rainey is a better football player, better moves, better instincts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to say, what if a higher ranked guy did that in an attempt to make himself a FA, but someone could just draft his rights. Gotcha

I read the Bucs are hot after him, but I would love to see him here. He is listed at 5'8 190 lbs which is not that small....pretty stout given his height.
    The Lions and Vikings are also interested.

Some places have him listed from 5"7" to 5"9' and from 175-190 lbs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. Might have been smart of some team to risk a 7th round pick on him, just for a situation like this.

A difficulty I have is that I really don't know the nature of the offense that Sparano wants to run. We've heard "ground and pound" a million times, but then I read an article talking about how Sparano ran a Run and Shoot offense while he was OC at BU and that Sean Payton "was the best influence" that he's had.

Demps might be a serious weapon, but does he fit into the scheme that Sparano has drawn up ?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Demps is fast, but I dont think he is the same player as Rainey. Rainey is a better football player, better moves, better instincts.
    To me, it's not a question of whether X is as good as Y, but rather, how good is X.

For example, I wouldn't say that Eli is as good a QB or a passer as Brady or Brees. So what ? That doesn't make him a bad QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure why that would matter, unless the plan was to run him right up the gut. He's a speed guy. Give him some daylight and he's gone. Throw to him out of the backfield, and he's gone.
    To me, it's not a question of whether X is as good as Y, but rather, how good is X.

For example, I wouldn't say that Eli is as good a QB or a passer as Brady or Brees. So what ? That doesn't make him a bad QB.
    The point was that just because he is fast, it does not mean as you suggest, that all you have to do is give him some daylight or just throw it to him and he is gone. There is a little more to it than that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't hurt to bring him in for a tryout.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The point was that just because he is fast, it does not mean as you suggest, that all you have to do is give him some daylight or just throw it to him and he is gone. There is a little more to it than that.
    And my point is that saying "Rainey is better at X, Y, and/or Z" doesn't really tell us anything. It's like saying that Demps isn't as fast as Rainey as Rainey runs a 4.15. While your "fact" might be true, Demps might run a 4.18 which is still very fast and nothing to be dismissed.

It's a lot different than saying "Demps isnt' a good RB, he doesn't have the moves or the instinct. Or even saying that he's poor in all those regards.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And my point is that saying "Rainey is better at X, Y, and/or Z" doesn't really tell us anything. It's like saying that Demps isn't as fast as Rainey as Rainey runs a 4.15. While your "fact" might be true, Demps might run a 4.18 which is still very fast and nothing to be dismissed.

It's a lot different than saying "Demps isnt' a good RB, he doesn't have the moves or the instinct. Or even saying that he's poor in all those regards.
    All my point was is that he is not as polished as a football player as some other guys who have come out of college. The comment that all you have to do is just give him a little daylight and just throw it to him and he is gone is simply not true.