Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 222

Thread: Jeff Demps wants to play football.

  1. #61
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't hurt to task a look. McKnight has some wiggle but this kid had blazing speed. Highlight reel looks nice.
    Last edited by MagroCrag; 08-15-2012 at 09:35 PM.

  2. #62
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,317
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a proud Gator hater.

    I want Demps on the Jets.

  3. #63
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some highlights of Demps at UF

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6PQ09oTu-4

  4. #64
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Demps may not be the only ex-gator the Jets are interested in, twitter is hot with rumors about the Jets having interest in Harvin, don't know how legit yet, so will hold off creating that thread for now, don't want the board to explode..

    Anyway, hell yes to Harvin, even for a 3rd and maybe a 2nd rounder.

    As for Demps, yep, our own young version and potential of a Sproles?

    Sign me up, would love to have him, he was a productive player in school.

    A Demps pick-up begs the question, who do the Jets sacrifice at RB? Can't imagine them keeping 5 on active roster, maybe Ganaway to the PS? Does he make it to the PS? Do the Jets maybe keep 5 and go with 3 TE's this year instead? Interesting dilemma if they can get Demps.

  5. #65
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reports saying Demps to sign with a team within 24 hours.

  6. #66
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still wondering if Demps is a good fit in Sparano's base offense.

  7. #67
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,220
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know if there will be any contractual limitations on what teams can offer him? I'm curious if this could turn into a bidding war.

  8. #68
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    17,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Demps may not be the only ex-gator the Jets are interested in, twitter is hot with rumors about the Jets having interest in Harvin, don't know how legit yet, so will hold off creating that thread for now, don't want the board to explode..

    Anyway, hell yes to Harvin, even for a 3rd and maybe a 2nd rounder.

    As for Demps, yep, our own young version and potential of a Sproles?

    Sign me up, would love to have him, he was a productive player in school.

    A Demps pick-up begs the question, who do the Jets sacrifice at RB? Can't imagine them keeping 5 on active roster, maybe Ganaway to the PS? Does he make it to the PS? Do the Jets maybe keep 5 and go with 3 TE's this year instead? Interesting dilemma if they can get Demps.
    Those rumors were perpetuated by IncarceratedDumbass, there's no legitimacy in them.

    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Reports saying Demps to sign with a team within 24 hours.
    I bet it's the Bucs.

  9. #69
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Those rumors were perpetuated by IncarceratedDumbass, there's no legitimacy in them.



    I bet it's the Bucs.
    I saw his tweet, I thought it might have been, but I can't believe the amount of chatter I'm reading about it is because of that dumbass.

  10. #70
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Some highlights of Demps at UF

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6PQ09oTu-4
    Wow. If we could make holes or set the edge for this kid...
    If.

  11. #71
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    Wow. If we could make holes or set the edge for this kid...
    If.
    So fast...so fast.

  12. #72
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    3,240
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't teach speed... Def fits in the option play with that speed.

  13. #73
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Couple things….

    If we are really going to run this read option, then it is worth overpaying for demps and literally installing some of the old florida plays. Whatever my or the rest of the fans opinion of this tebow/wildcat deal are, the bottom line is this is what Rex/the team are hitching their wagon to, so you might as well go get another good piece to that puzzle in demps.

    As far as the roster, I think demps can take Connors spot. Baker can play some FB, we are going to need 5 WRs (not including demps) and frankly connor brings little to the table, even for a “ground and pound” team as he isn’t even a great blocker.

    Lastly, in addition to the wildcat, demps can also be used in a 2 back set with greene….sending him in motion in order to see where the LB/S slides and to give us a better read on how the defense is aligned, and also to open up a running lane for greene.

  14. #74
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,860
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also took at look at Jaquizz Rodgers 5'6-5'7 195 and Dexter Mcluster 5'8-5'9 and 170. Demps fits right between them at about 5'8 190.

    One question for gator fans that have seen him....he appears to me to be more of a RB then a WR, did he catch a lot of balls at FLorida?

  15. #75
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    5,443
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I also took at look at Jaquizz Rodgers 5'6-5'7 195 and Dexter Mcluster 5'8-5'9 and 170. Demps fits right between them at about 5'8 190.

    One question for gator fans that have seen him....he appears to me to be more of a RB then a WR, did he catch a lot of balls at FLorida?
    He is a faster Version of Mcluster .. There Rbs who have very good receiving skills. All u wanna do is get guys like them in space and they will do tremendous damage.

  16. #76
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Couple things….

    If we are really going to run this read option, then it is worth overpaying for demps and literally installing some of the old florida plays. Whatever my or the rest of the fans opinion of this tebow/wildcat deal are, the bottom line is this is what Rex/the team are hitching their wagon to, so you might as well go get another good piece to that puzzle in demps.

    As far as the roster, I think demps can take Connors spot. Baker can play some FB, we are going to need 5 WRs (not including demps) and frankly connor brings little to the table, even for a “ground and pound” team as he isn’t even a great blocker.

    Lastly, in addition to the wildcat, demps can also be used in a 2 back set with greene….sending him in motion in order to see where the LB/S slides and to give us a better read on how the defense is aligned, and also to open up a running lane for greene.
    I thought the same about Connor, but I'm having a hard time Rex and even Sparano won't want a thumper in their offense. I know Sparano likes his FB's to be able to do more than block, my sense is he likes his FB's to be able to run and catch the ball, if Connor has improved in this area, he should make the team, but I could also see Connor being on the bubble as Sparano has a bigger afinity for TE's, and a player like Baker can play in the FB/H-Back role which is something I know Sparano likes, and Sparano has commented very favorably on Baker. Another player they could consider in a FB role is Ganaway, their #4 RB right now, which would then also make Connor expendable.

    Either way, if the team has a chance to bring a talent like Demps, theys hould do it, I know they've been looking for a player to replace Leon Washington, they were very interested in Best, and McCluster, and Demps is very close to both of those players. I even think Demps is a better talent than McCluster.

  17. #77
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post

    I bet it's the Bucs.
    That's the hot rumor...



    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    I'm told there are 3 or 4 teams, including #Jets, in the mix for Jeff Demps. Decision could come as early as today.

  18. #78
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agent Daniel Rose told The Associated Press late Wednesday night that several NFL teams are interested in signing the speedy Demps, a former running back at the University of Florida. Rose said Demps is expected to make a decision by Thursday night.

    Rose wouldn't identify the teams in the mix, but Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano confirmed that the Buccaneers are interested in Demps, who was part of the 400-meter relay team that finished second to Jamaica in London. The New York Jets, with Demps' former college teammate Tim Tebow, also are among the seven or eight teams on the list.

    But now, Demps is ready to resume his football career as a professional.

    "I think within 24 hours, we're going to get it done," Rose said. "Obviously, he wants to get to work. He had some commitments he had to finish up (Wednesday) with the Olympics, and we've been very honest and open with the teams. Now, that's all over with and he can go to sleep and wake up Thursday morning and focus on football."

    Demps makes for an intriguing player who could serve as a change-of-pace back, as well as a top-notch special teamer. At Florida, he averaged 28.8 yards a return during his four-year career. He also won multiple national championships in track and field.

    "He's speed," Rose said. "The NFL is about speed and there's so much you can do with a guy like that if used correctly. He could be a kick returner, slot receiver, stuff like that. There's gadget plays teams can come up with. If used correctly, he could definitely be a weapon."

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1788510.html

  19. #79
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is real small (5.9 175). Much smaller than Jamaal Charles (5.11 200). Never had more than 100 carries in college. Im not even sure if he could be a 3rd down back b.c I don't think he can block. He might be a better fit at WR assuming he can catch.

    Best case scenario he is a return man this year. But we already have McKnight.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-16-2012 at 09:29 AM.

  20. #80
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He is real small (5.9 175). Much smaller than Jamaal Charles (5.11 200). Never had more than 100 carries in college. Im not even sure if he could be a 3rd down back b.c I don't think he can block. He might be a better fit at WR assuming he can catch.

    Best case scenario he is a return man this year. But we already have McKnight.
    I've seen some reports where he's at 190, which is a pretty big difference, he looks to have some bubble on him, I see him in the mold of a McCluster.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us