Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Demps wants to play football.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    All my point was is that he is not as polished as a football player as some other guys who have come out of college. The comment that all you have to do is just give him a little daylight and just throw it to him and he is gone is simply not true.
    I guess we disagree on this. My thought on Demps was much the same as my thoughts on Stephen Hill when we drafted him. Sure, Hill isn't a great route runner, but the dude is 6'4", can jump and is stupidly fast. Merely running him on go routes makes him a weapon.

With Demps, you have fantastic speed and he played RB at Florida for 4 years. If you put the ball in his hands and give him daylight, he will be gone. Instinct and moves come into play when he has to start finding holes, or setting up blocks, yada, yada, yada.

Also, you are again saying "not as X as player Y". That he isn't as polished as some players coming out of college doesn't mean that he doesn't have an understanding for the game. It's not like he's never played a down of football before.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    I guess we disagree on this. My thought on Demps was much the same as my thoughts on Stephen Hill when we drafted him. Sure, Hill isn't a great route runner, but the dude is 6'4", can jump and is stupidly fast. Merely running him on go routes makes him a weapon.

With Demps, you have fantastic speed and he played RB at Florida for 4 years. If you put the ball in his hands and give him daylight, he will be gone. Instinct and moves come into play when he has to start finding holes, or setting up blocks, yada, yada, yada.
    Completely agree.

No one is saying we sign Tyson Gay who has never played football. Demps had over 2800 yards adn 20+ TDs for an SEC football team. I think he has enough skill to be used in space as a RB/WR and as a kick returner.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Completely agree.

No one is saying we sign Tyson Gay who has never played football. Demps had over 2800 yards adn 20+ TDs for an SEC football team. I think he has enough skill to be used in space as a RB/WR and as a kick returner.
    Yep, 2951 yards from scrimmage rushing and receiving, plus an additional 604 return yards.

Hall Of Fame

Also, you are again saying "not as X as player Y". That he isn't as polished as some players coming out of college doesn't mean that he doesn't have an understanding for the game. It's not like he's never played a down of football before.

My god, you just proved my point. He is a developmental player. What part of not being polished do you not understand?? I dont know why you have to argue with every poster over every detail around here.

My god, you just proved my point. He is a developmental player. What part of not being polished do you not understand?? I dont know why you have to argue with every poster over every detail around here.
    Why do I have to argue ? Because YOU DID NOT SAY that he wasn't polished. You said that he wasn't AS POLISHED AS RAINEY.

How many different ways do I have to explain it to you ?

Example, you could say that Aaron Rodgers isn't AS ACCURATE AS Drew Brees when it comes to passing. After all, Brees has a higher comp %

Does this in any way mean that Aaron Rodgers IS NOT ACCURATE ? No, it doesn't.

Let's try another one. Say that you are 6'6" tall and I'm 6'8".

Someone could point out that you aren't as tall as me. Does that mean you aren't tall >? That you are actually a freaking midget or something ?

No, it doesn't. It in no way actually quantifies the characteristic being discussed.

Going further. Saying that Demps isn't as polished as Rainey only tells you to take Rainey over Demps in the draft. In no way does it tell you not to take Demps if Rainey isn't available.
    Last edited by Demosthenes9; 08-14-2012 at 05:47 PM.

YES, PLEASE!

Like a gift from above, sent from Tebow himself.

He's not someone that can be an every-down guy, or probably anything more than a 10 carry/game back, but I'd take him in a heartbeat. I hated this guy, he has fear-inducing speed. I thought he was better than Rainey all the way up until last year (when he was probably more focused on his sprinting).

Have Tebow give him a call.

Jets Insider VIP
    Usain Bolt is even faster and probably just like Kemps is a crappy football player...

Oh wait...hes not a wondrously marvy Gator...

Never mind

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Usain Bolt is even faster and probably just like Kemps is a crappy football player...

Oh wait...hes not a wondrously marvy Gator...

Never mind

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah, a "crappy football player" who was projected to be a 3rd/4th round pick. Awful I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    Can't hurt to bring him in for a tryout.
    Bring him in quick for a tryout before the other teams get a hold of him. See what he's got, if it doesn't pan out - what have the Jets lost?

All Pro
    Yeah, a "crappy football player" who was projected to be a 3rd/4th round pick. Awful I tell you.
    I have no idea where you pulled the 3rd/4th round from, but I highly doubt he would've gone anywhere near there.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    no more gators

one of them is already approaching too many
    Unpopular opinion, but I agree with you. I'm a longtime Gator hater and I long for the day when Tebow is no longer a Jet.

Hall Of Fame
    Why do I have to argue ? Because YOU DID NOT SAY that he wasn't polished. You said that he wasn't AS POLISHED AS RAINEY.

How many different ways do I have to explain it to you ?

Example, you could say that Aaron Rodgers isn't AS ACCURATE AS Drew Brees when it comes to passing. After all, Brees has a higher comp %

Does this in any way mean that Aaron Rodgers IS NOT ACCURATE ? No, it doesn't.

Let's try another one. Say that you are 6'6" tall and I'm 6'8".

Someone could point out that you aren't as tall as me. Does that mean you aren't tall >? That you are actually a freaking midget or something ?

No, it doesn't. It in no way actually quantifies the characteristic being discussed.

Going further. Saying that Demps isn't as polished as Rainey only tells you to take Rainey over Demps in the draft. In no way does it tell you not to take Demps if Rainey isn't available.
    You are an insufferable a hole around here. You argue over semantics more than any poster around here. I can not wait until "you know who" is with another team next year so you will become a fan of theirs and leave us alone.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I have no idea where you pulled the 3rd/4th round from, but I highly doubt he would've gone anywhere near there.
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2012&genpos=RB

“I still love the game of football, that will never be taken from me,” said Demps, who ran 6.56 seconds Saturday to capture his third consecutive 60-meter title at the N.C.A.A. indoor track and field championships. “But I just enjoy running. I have to be out there on the track.” That drive is what motivates Demps, who walked away from a possible third- or fourth-round draft selection and the fame and money that would have accompanied it.
    If other places say he would have gone later, that's fine, but I don't think he would have gone undrafted, or that he would have still been there in the 7th round.

You are an insufferable a hole around here. You argue over semantics more than any poster around here. I can not wait until "you know who" is with another team next year so you will become a fan of theirs and leave us alone.
    I'm unsufferable and arguing semantics for pointing out that saying "he's not as polished as Rainey" doesn't tell us whether he can play football or be a weapon ?>

Jesus, how ****ing hard is it for you to understand ?

Go back and look at what you actually said. Here, I'll point it out directly.

but I dont think he is the same player as Rainey.
    Great, he's not the same player as Rainey. And Rodgers isn't the same QB as Brees. See how that really isn't saying anything ?

Rainey is a better football player, better moves, better instincts.
    And Brees is more accurate than Rodgers. Again, all you have said is that Demps isn't as good as Rainey. Great, fan farking tastic.

Now, you might have been thinking all along that Demps doesn't have the talent to play in the NFL, and you might even think that you said that with your statment, but that's just not the case.

Veteran
    Sign this freakin kid. He can get isolated on a LB and just giddy the fahq up andgone.
    Would be a good sign.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm unsufferable and arguing semantics for pointing out that saying "he's not as polished as Rainey" doesn't tell us whether he can play football or be a weapon ?>

Jesus, how ****ing hard is it for you to understand ?

Go back and look at what you actually said. Here, I'll point it out directly.

Great, he's not the same player as Rainey. And Rodgers isn't the same QB as Brees. See how that really isn't saying anything ?

And Brees is more accurate than Rodgers. Again, all you have said is that Demps isn't as good as Rainey. Great, fan farking tastic.

Now, you might have been thinking all along that Demps doesn't have the talent to play in the NFL, and you might even think that you said that with your statment, but that's just not the case.

Give it up. Another poster brought up Rainey because of his size and Florida ties. I simply pointed out that Demps is not the same player as Rainey. Show me where I said Demps can not play??? Once again you make an argument out of nothing.

Read what you wrote in bold. What I MIGHT have been thinking? What is your issue?? That I said Demps is not as good as Rainey?

You are a fake Jet fan parading around here as some sort of die hard fan, and in reality all you care about is your savior at QB.

The infighting in virtually every thread is getting to be almost unbearable....

Anyway

The question is are we better off with a player like demps on the roster instead of someone like Chaz/Connor? Demps would offer more versatility as he can play RB and in the slot but also doesnt have the height that Chaz does. He also can contribute on special teams which Chaz doesnt do. As for connor, for a guy his size, it seems like he isnt a very good blocker and he hasnt developed as a receiver out of the backfield. If we are going to run some zone read plays....wouldnt demps be a better fit for the offense?

Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Turner and IMO White are all going to make the 53 as are mcknight, powell and greene. Chaz and connor are definitely on the bubble in my eyes, so realistically the move would be demps over one or both of them.

Its also important to note that we waived Devon Torrence yesterday and I believe that gives us one more spot to fill?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    The infighting in virtually every thread is getting to be almost unbearable....

Anyway

The question is are we better off with a player like demps on the roster instead of someone like Chaz/Connor? Demps would offer more versatility as he can play RB and in the slot but also doesnt have the height that Chaz does. He also can contribute on special teams which Chaz doesnt do. As for connor, for a guy his size, it seems like he isnt a very good blocker and he hasnt developed as a receiver out of the backfield. If we are going to run some zone read plays....wouldnt demps be a better fit for the offense?

Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Turner and IMO White are all going to make the 53 as are mcknight, powell and greene. Chaz and connor are definitely on the bubble in my eyes, so realistically the move would be demps over one or both of them.

Its also important to note that we waived Devon Torrence yesterday and I believe that gives us one more spot to fill?
    I agree that Chaz and Connor are on the bubble. The problem with Chaz is that without another veteran it leaves the WR group very thin. Holmes isnt due back until the first regular season game, Kerley is still not practicing in full, a set back to either Holmes or Kerley would really hurt this team.

As far as Connor goes, I would be surprised if Rex cut him. I agree he is useless, I would rather have them try Gannaway at FB, at least he has some athletic ability and can catch the ball. Demps could be a 5th RB/KR/WR. he would have more value than a Connor would.

It would seem to me that if we are going to run the Tewbow Spread option, why not add demps to the mix as he has already run it and can also give us the opportunity to get a game breaking player out in space.

There has to be some things you can do with him as far as a 2 back set with him and greene, along with Keller, Hill and Holmes, and then run demps in motion to make the defense show their hand a bit more.

All Pro
    It would be fine to take a look, but I kind of like guys that love football. He doesn't seem to be that guy so I wouldn't go crazy trying to get him.