Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Burgers *****es

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Comes with fries, me thinks. But make sure you come early and bring your cash, cause they don't serve it for dinner, and......they don't take American Express....or any cc other than the Lugers card.
    Theyve advanced all the way to accepting debit cards now crash.

Thread got me hungry. Heading to Great Neck NOW.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    thread need pictures

let me start by saying that i dont like any 'fast food burgers', so no good burger, no 5 guys, nothing like that...that being said, here are my favorites:

Rare Burger Bar - daily 'special' burgers featuring cheese of the day their basket of sweet potato, waffle, and shoestring fries is the bomb too.

Lugerburger - there is nothing bad at Lugers. the onion alone is worth the price of the meal.

Old Homstead - i remember when i had their 41 dollar burger, and thought i was 'being wild', enter the 81 dollar, japanese kobe burger http://gothamist.com/2008/04/01/the_81_burger.php (my next place to hit)

Dumont Burger - while u r there, get the mac and cheese too...worth the trip to brooklyn

freezer...

i actualy think bubbar burgers are half way decent for a supermarket brand, def something i pick up in a pinch, cant really say ive liked any other brands

homemade...

just moved to scotch plains, there is a great butcher shop in town which ive been frequenting for all kinds of ground meats over the last month (u know for experimenting) the best so far has been the ground brisket that i burgerized...just the right amount of juicy. i usualy top mine with, cheddar, bacon (fresh cut from the butcher), and guacamole.

i do have a question...

anyone know where i can get good buns the supermarket buns suck, and my bakery doesnt have anything but keiser rolls.

All League
    Simple black and bleu burger down medium rare. Lettuce, tomato and onion. @ church brew works in Pittsburgh with s tall frosty mug of iron city beer.

I'm going to lunch

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Pipers Kilt in Eastchester

+1, also P&K's in Kingsbridge in da Bronx.

In Manhattan, Jimbo's around W126st. and Amsterdam. Yum

-

Ground Turkey and ricotta cheese burgers.

2 lbs ground turkey (I use 7% fat rather than fat free) 3/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon dried thyme 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard 2/3 cup ricotta cheese

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Pipers Kilt in Eastchester

That looks good and any proper Pub should have something akin to that puppy.

I like burgers well enough, but don't love them to the point that I travel to somewhere as a destination anymore. I guess I can appreciate the specialty places that tell me the composition of the beef (1/3 short ribs, 1/3 sirloin, 1/3 chuck), but mostly, if I'm going somewhere for burger, I want a nice medium rare, some melted cheese (not on the bun, on the burger), perhaps some bacon (sauteed onion on occasion) and a good bun to burger ratio where I'm not eating just bun and I'm not having a soggy piece of bun holding together a morass of falling apart chopped meat.

A good pub/tavern should be able to deliver that without too much deviation. Sure some are better than others, but once you get to the realm of "just a damn good burger" they shouldn't be that much of a difference that you need to seek out the ultimate one. Give me a good burger, a decent pint or 4, and I'm as sound as a pound.

I'm as sound as a pound.
    There's one you don't hear often...

I'm gonna select an out of town place, as the "best burger joint".

The Burger Bar at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas. Incredible burgers...great beer selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Anybody try Bobby Flays Burger Palace? I think it's pretty good. I hate specialty burgers though with the blue cheeses and the goat cheese.

Just give me a burger, cheese and two buns and that makes me happy.
    I've had some of the burgers in the list, but the California burger at Bobby's is my favorite anywhere.

I want to try the burger at Minnetta tavern, it gets a lot of press.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    There's one you don't hear often...
    for good reason

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

That looks good and any proper Pub should have something akin to that puppy.

I like burgers well enough, but don't love them to the point that I travel to somewhere as a destination anymore. I guess I can appreciate the specialty places that tell me the composition of the beef (1/3 short ribs, 1/3 sirloin, 1/3 chuck), but mostly, if I'm going somewhere for burger, I want a nice medium rare, some melted cheese (not on the bun, on the burger), perhaps some bacon (sauteed onion on occasion) and a good bun to burger ratio where I'm not eating just bun and I'm not having a soggy piece of bun holding together a morass of falling apart chopped meat.

A good pub/tavern should be able to deliver that without too much deviation. Sure some are better than others, but once you get to the realm of "just a damn good burger" they shouldn't be that much of a difference that you need to seek out the ultimate one. Give me a good burger, a decent pint or 4, and I'm as sound as a pound.
    I dont know what the mix is but I did hear that a another local deli tried to get the same blend for his burgers from the same vendor, and the guy refused to give him the same exact proportions. I give the guy credit for that.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Anybody try Bobby Flays Burger Palace? I think it's pretty good. I hate specialty burgers though with the blue cheeses and the goat cheese.

Just give me a burger, cheese and two buns and that makes me happy.
    Went to the burger palace by the smith haven mall about a year ago...good choices and the best part is they sell beers there too. Would go back more often if it wasn't 40 miles away

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    I've made them at home in a cast iron skillet, patty-melt style. Cook the bacon in the skillet, cook the burger in the bacon grease and fry the egg in the burger grease. I take plain ketchup and mix it with Gold's horseradish. The rolls are, of course, from my local deli.

It's not as unhealthy as it sounds.
    Really... My arteries just begged me to not even think about it.

My a$$hole would be on fire laying vicious farts with this. I may wash it down with apple juice when I want to torture my girl.
    Last edited by dmitexxi; 08-16-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    A home grilled burger is the best. You need ground beef that isn't too lean because as unhealthy as it is, the fat gives it some of the flavor. A 50/50 mix of ground sirloin and 80/20 ground beef is really good.
    All about the meat. I do a blend of chuck/veal for my burgers. So good I'm hungry.