Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tebow poses for GQ

Tebow poses for GQ

And there you go:

New Issue Of GQ Sizzles: Shirtless Tim Tebow

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:30 pmWritten by: Victor Chi

Even in the dog days of August, we can always count on Tim Tebow to provide a heaping helping of sizzle.

The latest issue of GQ, which hits newsstands on August 21, offers an interesting take from a writer who is a Jets fan but not a Tebow fan, and how he is trying to resolve this dilemma.

"This, really, is the root of my beef with Tebowmania: It has nothing to do with football," writes Devin Gordon. "It's a sales pitch -- a sensation built on evangelism, not ability, powered by people who see a chance to turn the NFL into the next front of the culture war. And now that culture war is coming to my team."

Compelling stuff. Not just the standard I-love-this-guy/I-hate-this-guy yelling that inevitably comes with any Tebow discussion. Gordon brings some context, texture and complexity to the conversation.

But Gordon's incisive analysis will likely have to settle for the silver medal in the Generating Buzz competition when GQ packages his story with a photo like this:

Shirtless Tebow.

In a Jesus-like pose.

Because there hadn't been nearly enough hype around the Jets, right?

But let's face it. Tebow would still be an attraction even if he had ended up in Jacksonville. The lights might be brighter on Broadway, but there are certain people from whom geography is irrelevant. As Reggie Jackson once put it: "I didn't come to New York to be a star. I brought my star with me."

Well, Jets fans will love it if Tebow can bring two championships to New York the way Reggie did, but for the moment, they'll have to deal with daily doses of Tebowmania that will only crank up once the season starts.

Even Gordon acknowledges that Tebow has that je ne sais quoi, which is noticeable just from being in his presence.

"The charisma is real, folks," he writes. "It almost startles you, especially if you're the kind of person who is skeptical about airy notions like charisma. It's there.

"Tebow smiles the entire time he is surrounded by reporters, no matter what he's asked, no matter how naked the trap being laid for him, every one of which he dodges, effortlessly, with a soft chuckle. He is clearly enjoying himself. He likes the attention, and not in a craven, needy way. More like: I'm a people person!"

Post Game GQ Tebow Article
    And the GQ article:

Have You Accepted Tim Tebow as Your QB and Sunday Savior?

BY DEVIN GORDONPHOTOGRAPH BY MARK SELIGER

The Jets locker room at the team's suburban New Jersey training facility is shaped like a giant oval, with broad stalls ringing the walls and immaculately chiseled men lounging naked in front of them, oblivious to the crowd of reporters, male and female, who vibrate around like jittery molecules in search of someone undistracted enough to submit to an interview. Most of these players will be asked about Tim Tebow today, and the next day, and on and on, and it's hard not to wonder if they're already sick of it. A few reporters loiter in front of Tebow's locker until a Jets staffer comes in to announce that Tim's going to be a while, so they slouch away.

Today is day two of the Jets three-day mini-camp, the 2012 season's first o∞cial stretch of practices, and this is the only day during which Mark Sanchez, the Jets first-string quarterback, and Tebow, his newly acquired (from the Denver Broncos) and considerably more famous, polarizing, and cultural-phenomenon-y backup, will be made available to the media, which is why there are so many of us here.

I am here for a slightly different reason. See, the events of this off-season have put me in a bind. The Jets are my team. Tim Tebow is now a New York Jet. And I do not like Tim Tebow. I am here to see if I can change my own mind. This isn't about trying to see into his soul, like Bush sizing up Putin. I just want to see if I can like him—if I can make myself like him. It's easy to be a hater from afar. The closer you get, the harder it gets.

···
    Sanchez walks into the locker room, and all of the molecules zip in his direction. As the scrum gathers, one of the Jets defensive stars, Antonio Cromartie, mock-serenades the reporters from across the room: "Hey, Mark, is it a competition between you and Tebow? Come on, Mark!"

The Jets PR staff handles today's Sanchez-Tebow locker-room theatrics with perfect synchronicity. The two QBs do not overlap. Moments after Sanchez heads out, Tebow waltzes in. The charitable interpretation here is that the Jets are simply being helpful, sparing reporters from having to make a Sophie's Choice about which guy to get quotes from. Less kind, but probably no less true, is that they do it to protect Sanchez from the humiliation of having to watch a far bigger crowd gather around his backup. (And there is no question that's what would've happened.)

This is all deeply unfair to Sanchez, and even though it's not Tebow's fault, it represents a major obstacle in my quest to like him. In just three seasons as a pro, Sanchez has twice led the Jets to the AFC title game, and unlike Tebow, he has never been blown out in the postseason. Yet all the intangibles that Tebow is said to possess in spades—confidence, the capacity to lead and motivate—Sanchez is said to lack. This part, at least, isn't unreasonable. At times, Sanchez can seem riven by self-doubt. Whereas Tebow inspires belief, something about Sanchez inspires skepticism, even though (and this is the key thing, or at least you'd think it would be) the actual results are almost always better with Sanchez.

And yet here is Sanchez exiting stage right so that Tebow can have the floor. This is probably more unfairness. Maybe Tebow was made to wait so that Sanchez could go first. But you'd be a fool to believe no one on the Jets put any thought into it.

No matter: It's almost Tebow Time.

···
    Before I explain my Tebow problem, let's give Him His due: The miraculous playoff win in January over the Pittsburgh Steelers was huge—easily the best line on His lord-and-savior résumé. Let's acknowledge that it was His bullet pass to Demaryius Thomas—which the Broncos wideout turned into a game-ending eighty-yard touchdown on the very first play of overtime, a thunderclap from the heavens if ever there was one—that put the Broncos into the next round. Let's even ignore, for just a moment, what happened one week later in New England, when the Patriots crushed the Broncos, 45–10, and made Tim Tebow look like the overmatched college goofus that many people still consider Him to be. In that Steelers game, Tebow defied and impressed His doubters. As even Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs (a well-placed doubter) told this very magazine back in February: "Jaw is on the floor!"

(Incidentally, just a couple of months after GQ printed those words in a story about Tebow—a story in which Suggs was mostly uncomplimentary—Suggs blew out his Achilles tendon, jeopardizing his entire 2012 season. Hmm...)

But. About that Steelers game. Anyone who follows the NFL closely knows that Pittsburgh was a paper tiger last season. Old. Slow. Exhausted from too many playoff runs. A bad team having a good day could knock them off, and that's exactly what Denver did. And if I really want to be a prick about it, I can pick apart Tebow's role. His game-winning throw was, by NFL standards, an easy one—right over the middle, to a wide-open receiver—and it was actually slightly behind Thomas. He had to break stride to grab it. And anyway, it was Thomas, not Tebow, whose textbook stiff-arm turned that play from a nice gain into a long score. How come no one's worshipping him?

Because Tebow is inspiring! He's got heart! He's a born leader of men! All he does is win! Right. I forgot. Here is where the cult of Tim Tebow departs from the world of measurable fact and enters the realm of religiosity, where every one of his accomplishments, no matter how modest—Oh, my goodness, he beat the deeply ****ty Miami Dolphins!—gets transformed into evidence of divine Providence, simply because Tebow says it is. Never mind that 75 percent of all football players credit Jesus after every win. Tebow's devout Christianity is devoutier than yours. When he thanks Jesus, Jesus winks back.

This, really, is the root of my beef with Tebowmania: It has nothing to do with football. It's a sales pitch—a sensation built on evangelism, not ability, powered by people who see a chance to turn the NFL into the next front of the culture war. And now that culture war is coming to my team.

Photos from Photo shoot
    Please explain to me how this doesn't make him a primadonna, like when Sanchez did it, and how it does not distract the team.

jesus would be proud. I remember mark did his fruity spread for some kind of charity-- I'm assuming tebow is as well?

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    And there you go:

And the GQ article:

Please explain to me how this doesn't make him a primadonna, like when Sanchez did it, and how it does not distract the team.
    What I read earlier was this was from his Univ of FL days and he declined a request for any current article...So this is a "redo" of his Univ of FL and GQ is just trying to "re-cash in".

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    GQ update: They were old photos of Tebow, from days at Florida. He declined interview, photo shoot for the mag

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Re: The Tebow GQ article and shoot, team spokesman said they are old photos from when he was at the University of Florida

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    What I read earlier was this was from his Univ of FL days and he declined a request for any current article...So this is a "redo" of his Univ of FL and GQ is just trying to "re-cash in".

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    GQ update: They were old photos of Tebow, from days at Florida. He declined interview, photo shoot for the mag

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Re: The Tebow GQ article and shoot, team spokesman said they are old photos from when he was at the University of Florida
    That's a little better, but he still has agreed to let them be published.

Listen, he's not a bad guy, but primadonna is definitely in there.

I hope this experiment works out for the Jets.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

I'm lovin' the guarantee. Bring it on Tim. Godspeed.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

I'm lovin' the guarantee. Bring it on Tim. Godspeed.

SAR I
    that's so funny

Jets Insider VIP

This and I like Tebow!!!

Nobody just poses for these types of photos.

I was a professional actor, performed on Broadway here in NYC worked around tons of models and work in conjunction with a woman in body painting art!!!

Check out her site: http://worldofmargarita.com/calender-of-events/ Make sure you scroll down she is the one on the right.

Trust me you just don't have pics like this taken.

No one tied Tebow down and forced him to take these...

Come on now
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 08-14-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    body painting art, Charlie Brown???

GOOD GRIEF

they might be the property of GQ

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    body painting art, Charlie Brown???

GOOD GRIEF
    I will invite you to her parties if you like she has wonderful friends

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    This and I like Tebow!!!

Nobody just poses for these types of photos.

I was a professional actor, performed on Broadway here in NYC worked around tons of models and work in conjunction with a woman in body painting art!!!

Check out her site: http://worldofmargarita.com/calender-of-events/ Make sure you scroll down she is the one on the right.

Trust me you just don't have pics like this taken.

No one tied Tebow down and forced him to take these...

Come on now
    Nobody forced him, but he did take them years ago when he was a kid in college. I hate that Tebow is on the Jets and I think he's a horrible football player but this is GQ taking advantage and using sensationalist tactics to sell magazines. They don't even bother to mention that they took these pics years ago.

When's the GQ article about Brian Hoyer coming out?

Hall Of Fame
    Whats hilarious is Daballlicker went around killing Sanchez about his GC article, and low and behold he is nowhere to be heard from....LOL

All Pro
    "This, really, is the root of my beef with Tebowmania: It has nothing to do with football," writes Devin Gordon. "It's a sales pitch -- a sensation built on evangelism, not ability, powered by people who see a chance to turn the NFL into the next front of the culture war. And now that culture war is coming to my team."
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

And, looks like they touched up the abs a little for the crucifix pose photo (and ran it in b&w this time) since the last time it was published here, in the NY Post back in March

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...39#post4416139

There's a page 2 of the article:

It should probably go without saying that the New York sports media already have a Teboner the size of Manhattan. Which is not the same thing as saying that they've fallen for him. Tebow is popular with this crew for the same reason that feces are popular with monkeys: It's fun to fling **** around. This dynamic is yet another reason why Tebow makes me so anxious. And not thirty minutes into my day at mini-camp, I get a glimpse of my nightmare. It is Jets head coach Rex Ryan, during his morning press conference, who inadvertently pulls the pin out of the grenade.

Now, bear in mind, this is mini-camp. The season does not begin for three months. Mini-camp objectively does not matter.

Ready? Here's what happened: Ryan was asked whether Tebow would be taking any snaps with the first-string offense. Not right away, Ryan replied, but eventually, yeah, he might. Now, on its face, this is a perfectly reasonable thing to say. Of course Tebow might take a few snaps with the starters. What if Sanchez were to get injured? Shouldn't the rest of the offense get to know the new guy? But for a press corps convinced, perhaps hoping, that the Jets secretly brought in Tebow to unseat Sanchez as the starter, well...

Moments after the writers filed out, Bruce Speight, the Jets press director, chased them down to say that he had checked with Ryan to clarify his remark. Ryan, Speight said, only meant that Tebow would take first-string snaps in plays specially designed for him and his unusual skills.

"So before y'all go wild and this goes nationwide...," Speight said, wincing. "Too late!" one writer gleefully called out.

"Skip Bayless and Stephen A. [Smith] are already debating it on ESPN," said another.

That night, on SportsCenter, the opening montage featured images of Tebow and Sanchez from the afternoon's practice and promised dirt about the latest development in their quarterback "battle."

This was June. Can you imagine what will happen in September, when the Jets lose a game that actually counts? I have. Standing in that locker room, watching Tebow emerge, I pictured a pack of reporters five times as large and a hundred times as ravenous.

···

The charisma is real, folks. It almost startles you, especially if you're the kind of person who is skeptical about airy notions like charisma. It's there.

Tebow smiles the entire time he is surrounded by reporters, no matter what he's asked, no matter how naked the trap being laid for him, every one of which he dodges, effortlessly, with a soft chuckle. He is clearly enjoying himself. He likes the attention, and not in a craven, needy way. More like: I'm a people person! Back in Denver, Tebow was criticized for playing the noble innocent while others did the assassinating on his behalf, letting him ascend unscathed into the spotlight. One time he was chastised and fined by the team's other QBs for not proactively denouncing a highway billboard in Denver clamoring for Tebow to be the starter. Back then, when I was eager for reasons to hate Tebow, I sided with his teammates. But now, standing two feet from him, it seems ridiculous to hold him responsible for the antics of some schmucky fan. As if Tebow is God or something.

Plus, few things rally sympathy more swiftly than watching someone stand in front of a circular firing squad of sports reporters. One actually asks Tebow if the novelty of his being left-handed might disrupt the Jets offense. In other words: Is it possible you'll ruin the Jets with your genes? "Um, I am left-handed." Chuckle. "There isn't too much I can do about that."

When it's my turn, I simply ask him what I want to know myself: What would he say to Jets fans who aren't sold on him, who maybe even consider themselves anti-Tebow? He smiles, locks onto me with his eyes, and speaks without hesitating.

"I think if they're a Jets fan, hopefully they'll be rooting for me. I'll do whatever I can to help this team win football games. I'll give my heart and soul whenever I step on that field and even when I'm on the sidelines. And at the end of the day, that's really all you can ask of someone."

It is all you can ask. But I'm still going to ask for more: Please don't rip apart my team. And if you do, please put it back together even stronger. In fact, if you can lead the Jets to their first Super Bowl title in my lifetime, I promise you here and now, Tim Tebow, I will fly to whichever megachurch hosts your next Easter sermon, and I will get down on one knee, pump my fist, and accept you into my heart as my lord and personal savior, so help me God, amen

Read More http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/20...#ixzz23ahCABO8
    Last edited by Demosthenes9; 08-15-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Veteran
    I work as a magazine photographer and I can confirm that Tim Tebow has no control ... zero,zip, zilch ... over how photographs from previous photoshoots are reused. The magazine would not have asked his permission to use the photographs; simply put they do not have to do it.
    GQ would have bought the photographs either directly from the photographer or more likely from an agency that resells editorial images. Magazine photographers are paid relatively little for assignments so an opportunity to resell images is a significant part of their income.

He could sue if the photographs were used to endorse a commercial product but illustrating an article about Tim Tebow, he has absolutely no legal recourse.
    Last edited by Gangrene; 08-15-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I will invite you to her parties if you like she has wonderful friends
    count me in.

Jets Insider VIP
    Isn't vanity a sin?

Wonder if Arron Rodgers will have something to say

Just as gay as the Sanchez shoot.
    Maybe a little less. But not much.

Jets Insider VIP
    thank God for ignore

saved me from having to read about daballsuck getting a hernia carrying home 500 copies of the latest GQ to his single wide trailer hovel