Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Jets Safeties Plan To Play Rough

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Sounds great. Hope they plan to do all that within 5 yards.
    I hope they read JI and learn the rule after getting a heads up.

I too loved Landry coming out, and I also think he could have a big impact on the defense as long as he's out there. He has a rare combination of size and speed you don't usually see at the safety position.

That being said, this is just another example of the Jets needing to call attention to themselves needlessly. Think about it. All he's said is the obvious. Do you really think that last season no one tried to get physical with the Patriots TE's. Do you really think that the rest of league collectively decided to let them run free in the secondary. That the Jets are going to be the only team who would "dare" to combat them with physicality.

Of course the Jets are going to try and be physical with them. So will every team they play. Why then is it necessary to come out and unnecessarily call attention to it. What's to be gained. Do you really think that Gronkowski is going to be intimidated? All that's been done is give bulletin board material to the rest of league and alerted the refs to be particularly attentive to watch what our safeties are doing.

Needless bravado with nothing to gain except attention.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by HardKnocks View Post
    I too loved Landry coming out, and I also think he could have a big impact on the defense as long as he's out there. He has a rare combination of size and speed you don't usually see at the safety position.

That being said, this is just another example of the Jets needing to call attention to themselves needlessly. Think about it. All he's said is the obvious. Do you really think that last season no one tried to get physical with the Patriots TE's. Do you really think that the rest of league collectively decided to let them run free in the secondary. That the Jets are going to be the only team who would "dare" to combat them with physicality.

Of course the Jets are going to try and be physical with them. So will every team they play. Why then is it necessary to come out and unnecessarily call attention to it. What's to be gained. Do you really think that Gronkowski is going to be intimidated? All that's been done is give bulletin board material to the rest of league and alerted the refs to be particularly attentive to watch what our safeties are doing.

I know, I can't believe he said this.

I mean a defensive player actually claiming that the unit will be tough and hit hard.

I've never heard that before, anywhere at anytime.

Fans take this nonsense too seriously, players have been saying this since the beginning of time.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    You know if Landry stays healthy and plays up to potential, he could be the biggest signing of the offseason of any team. He'd easily be top 3 safety in the league.
    Based on what? When he was healthy in Washington he was never top 3. Ever!

I think it's a big upgrade if he stays healthy and I'm excited about his play. But lets be realistic here.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Those guys to the north haven't won anything in 8 years despite having one of the greatest QB's of our time.

They are doing plenty wrong up there...
    What are you watching? They are the winningest team in the league the past 10 years and have come within two or three freak plays from wining 2 more SBs. What have the jets done in that time?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    What are you watching? They are the winningest team in the league the past 10 years and have come within two or three freak plays from wining 2 more SBs. What have the jets done in that time?
    And Barry Bonds is the Home Run King.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by HardKnocks View Post

I'm one to normally criticize too much talk from Ryan and some players.

I always say to do your talking on the field.

But I like this because it's planting a seed in the minds of WR's and TE's. Landry and Bell are big boys that can back up the talk. They've proved it in the past. It's not as if it's unchartered waters for them.

I have no problem with this. My only concern is with their health. Especially Landry's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I'm one to normally criticize too much talk from Ryan and some players.

I always say to do your talking on the field.

But I like this because it's planting a seed in the minds of WR's and TE's. Landry and Bell are big boys that can back up the talk. They've proved it in the past. It's not as if it's unchartered waters for them.

I have no problem with this. My only concern is with their health. Especially Landry's.

BIG DAY FOR TIGHT ENDS: Sanchez and Tebow had most of their success throwing to Dustin Keller, Cumberland and Josh Baker. They consistently got open in the middle of the field.
    But I'm sure we'll be fine. Let them keep talking.

Jets Insider VIP

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    But I'm sure we'll be fine. Let them keep talking.
    Did it specifically say that Landry and Bell were the safeties?

And, if so, you want them to lay big hits on their own TE's?

Did it specifically say that Landry and Bell were the safeties?

And, if so, you want them to lay big hits on their own TE's?
    Here's my point. Everybody needs to shut up and show it on the field. I'm tired of hearing our players tell us what they are going to do. How about they just go do it first, then they can talk all they want.

There is no "planting the seed". Nobody freaking cares. Nobody is afraid of us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Here's my point. Everybody needs to shut up and show it on the field. I'm tired of hearing our players tell us what they are going to do. How about they just go do it first, then they can talk all they want.

There is no "planting the seed". Nobody freaking cares. Nobody is afraid of us.
    I agree with you. I've said it many times myself.

In this case though, I like the planting the seed aspect.

By the way, Landry didn't practice today so he definitely wasn't on the field for those catches. By the way, where was that statement from?
    Last edited by Jordy; 08-15-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Based on what? When he was healthy in Washington he was never top 3. Ever!

I think it's a big upgrade if he stays healthy and I'm excited about his play. But lets be realistic here.
    There's Reed and Polamalu. And then a bunch of other guys. Landry can be that guy if he stays healthy

Just as long as he stays away from Brandon Jacobs

Jets Insider VIP
    There's Reed and Polamalu. And then a bunch of other guys. Landry can be that guy if he stays healthy

Just as long as he stays away from Brandon Jacobs

That was an unfortunate attempt at a tackle.

I heard that Jacobs played well in the 1st exhibition game. I wanted the Jets to sign him. I think he could have really helped our offense based on the philosophy being installed.

I heard that Jacobs played well in the 1st exhibition game. I wanted the Jets to sign him. I think he could have really helped our offense based on the philosophy being installed.
    To be honest, ever since Jacobs destroyed him on primetime TV, Landry has never been the same

I agree, we could have used Jacobs. He could have made a bigger impact that Tebow.

I agree with you. I've said it many times myself.

In this case though, I like the planting the seed aspect.

By the way, Landry didn't practice today so he definitely wasn't on the field for those catches. By the way, where was that statement from?
    The statement was from Cimini's camp report today. Note: he updated it again at 4:30pm so the statement has been changed. Still references the big day the TEs had though.

And don't think I was picking on you. I'm just tired of hearing the Jets talk and not performing up to par.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 08-15-2012 at 05:17 PM.

I couldn't help it.

I read the headline and thought: "Great. Our safeties plan on extending drives by getting flagged all year."

Maybe it's just the weather that has me feeling gloomy.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Since Rex?

Won more playoff games and just as many SB's?

Freak plays? You want to give back the SB trophies that came after freak plays?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

To be honest, ever since Jacobs destroyed him on primetime TV, Landry has never been the same

I agree, we could have used Jacobs. He could have made a bigger impact that Tebow.
    No

All Pro

He did make the tackle. Jacobs eventually went down. Not many safeties would throw themselves into that man with a head of steam.