Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe the Wildcat is part of good offense or a gimmick ?

Do you believe the Wildcat is part of good offense or a gimmick ?

I keep hearing a lot of people say the Wildcat is just a gimmick and that no championship NFL team has ever used it. I would like to hear from other Jet fans. Have any teams successfully stopped the Wildcat time and time again ?
    IMO if it helps us win games than it it's legitimate.

the football theory behind wildcat is sound. The quarterback becomes the ball carrier and what used to be 10 on 11 is now 11 on 11. I don't know if it's a championship quality strategy but it can win games. Alot depends on the talent of the QB. Colin Kaepernick busted off a 75 yard TD run the other night... Tebow as a ballcarrier is basically unstoppable right now. 5 years from now he might be all banged up but at this point in his career he dishes out punishment.

Veteran
    I don't understand why it's considered a gimmick, because it's used in college? It's just another method of running the ball with an option to pass. Moving the ball is just that, if it's effective then it's not a gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    I don't understand why it's considered a gimmick, because it's used in college? It's just another method of running the ball with an option to pass. Moving the ball is just that, if it's effective then it's not a gimmick.
    +1.. Brad Smith averaged 7 ypc out of the wildcat his final year with us. Its not a gimmick if you move the ball effectively.

All League
    If it's run with Sanchez its a gimmick, no one seriously considers him a run/pass threat in the WC. Not as much of a gimmick with Tebow given that the WC is tailor made to his specific skill set.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    The wildcat is great for high school and college.

The only teams using it in the NFL are the ones that don't have a legitimate professional offense.

IMO the wildcat only works when combined with an average or better pro style offense. Everything I've read on the topic concludes that when defenses prepare for it they can stop it. Tebow adds a dimension to the Wildcat that hadn't been attempted prior. When Ronnie Brown ran the formation for Miami he was not a real threat to pass. The version run in Denver last season was also limited because Tebow was not a threat when they went to the pro style plays. The optimist in me says we have the chance for the best of both worlds. Sanchez comes in to run the pro-style offense and Tebow runs 5-20 wildcat plays per game. Opposing defenses will have to prepare for both.

The key to everything coming together is Sanchez. If he doesn't suck and if the line can hold up we may have something.

Hall Of Fame
    When it works, its good. When it doesn't, its a gimmick.

Veteran
    The problem is not that its a gimmick, its that it will rarely result in explosive plays. If your goal is to only score on 12-18 play drives then it can be useful. The problem is when your get down by more then a score its basically game over.

All League
    Instead of Greene getting 25 carries he gets 15 - 20. It was effective with Brad Smith and will be even better with Tebow. Just keep it limited.

Hall Of Fame
    Not a gimmick if run effectively.

If any other team in the league had picked up Tebow this past offseason and had plans to use him like we appear to be planning on, the media would be singing praises.

Screw the haters.

Gimmick in the Pros.

College....there is where it should stay.

But am i gonna be upset if we win the AFC Championship game cause Tebow Wildcatted us there?

Hell no.

All League
    Remember the Pats wanted Tebow as well

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    The wildcat is great for high school and college.

The only teams using it in the NFL are the ones that don't have a legitimate professional offense.
    Bingo

It's a dumb gimmick that we shouldn't be wasting our time. The Dolphins got the Pats that first game they ran it but after that, everyone in the league knows how to defend it now. There's a reason why NFL teams stopped running offenses like the wishbone and all that stupid ****. It's dumb, and we should be focused on improving other areas of our offense.

Every new offense or defense is considered a gimmick until it works.

We do not have aaron rogers, brady or brees here.....nor do we have ray rice, calvin johnson or arian foster, so we need to find innovative ways to score. This is not something that teams like green bay or the pats need to use offensively, so in that sense it is a gimmick. But the 4-2-5 defense run by TCU was also conisdered a gimmick, until it was found to perfectly combat the college spread offense and has led it to become a standard personell group.

What the jets are doing is not the wildcat of the past....and is something that has never been attempted before. We are potentially going to use 2 QBs for each game, and run 2 different offenses.

Tebow is not a RB running the Wildcat, he is a QB running it, which hasnt really been attempted before. He offers us the advantage of being the biggest throwing threat to even be used as a "wildcat" QB.

If we are successful with this and the 49ers starting bringing Kaepernick in to run it, and the raiders use pryor to run it, or the seahawks use wilson to run it, then it wont be considered a gimmick. But if this blows up in our face, causes a weekly QB controversy, ruins sanchez here, then it will obviously be considered a failed gimmick.

It can be a good weapon particularly in short yardage and red zone situations. It would not be acceptable as a full time offense. It can definitely be shut down. The jets pretty much shut it down except for 1 drive when they played denver. If sanchez doesn't throw a pick 6 they win the game. Also, some of the offensive numbers, particularly passing were downright putrid in some of those broncos games.

I would just look at it like a different formation as part of the offense. Like you would view a 2 tight-end set, 3wide, etc.

All League
    I don't believe the Jets will run the Wildcat. I believe the Tebow package
    will be him joining Sanchez on the field in different personnel groupings.
    Unlike when Brad Smith ran it for us I don't believe Sanchez will ever
    be in the phony WR position. I believe Sanchez will always be in the QB
    spot and we'll use the threat of Tebow to hopefully cause the defense to
    be slow in keying on what we are doing

Hall Of Fame
    Forward pass?

What a gimmick. That's not how real pros play.

Throw the ball. LOLZ. WLF?

If we're gonna play Tebow, he should be in for plays that Sanchez himself would run. Tebow adds a dimension of being able to scramble and really get yards when the pocket colapses. But when you start running wildcat packages or gimmick plays, then you really put your team in a situation where there's not much option but to let the play run its course. Teams are already on the lookout for these gimmick plays so the element of surprise is no longer there. The more we develop Tebow as a traditional QB who can scramble, the better our team's gonna be. Sanchez ain't the answer, let's see if Tebow can be.