Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe the Wildcat is part of good offense or a gimmick ?

Its OK to run it 5 times a game max but if we are running 10-15 Wildcat plays a game, it will be too much.

All Pro
    The wildcat is a change of pace gimmick which can be effective if used sparingly. For the most part, a team running the wildcat can have mild success against weaker defenses, but it won't be nearly as effective against the tougher defenses in the NFL.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Forward pass?

What a gimmick. That's not how real pros play.

Throw the ball. LOLZ. WLF?
    exactly what I was thinking.

All League
    This idea that the league figured out how to stop a run with an extra blocker is ridiculous. When was this figured out? Brad Smith had a great ypc doing it just two yrs ago. As long as it not done in excess. If it can help you move the chains and with ball control, I'm all for it

Jets Insider VIP
    Screw the wildcat....I just want our regular offense to work

This is a freaking joke. They are working on the wildcat because they have very little faith in Sanchez. This was supposed to be the franchise QB. The issue from the start was having Sh!tty and Cavanaugh coaching this kid. Tanny and Rex screwed him by always changing the WR's and investing nothing in the O line. The only solid one's are Mangold and Moore. They did the same with Chad, they let O lineman go and he got destroyed. The same is happening to Sanchez, he already hurt hid throwing shoulder last season. Sanchez was a reach when they drafted him and look how this has turned out. Tebow fits with this crappy oline. Most teams have figured how to stop the widcat and eventually Tebow will get lit up. This is going to be interesting to watch, but as a fan this bullsh!t is getting old quick.

The wildcat is an indictment of how awful the starting QB is. The coaching staff is saying...we are willing to allow our wildcat QB to be tackled by 300 lb D linemen a dozen times per game because the alternative is unacceptable.

Rookie
    The wildcat is a formation or package... one which we have never really run. Our Brad Smith direct snap package was successful when he was here, however some (even our coach sometimes) seem to be getting carried away with overstating its overall impact on those season.

Brad Smith was responsible for 12 first downs, a single rushing TD and one 3 yard TD pass to DK in 2010, his most productive in that formation. I think we ran 40 total "wildcat" plays in 2010. 40 of around 850 total plays.

In 2009 its like 20 plays, less first downs and a TD. It was about 65 plays over 2 years.. or roughly 2% of the plays.

Was it successful when we ran it? Indeed it was.. but please remember we are talking about 3 tds and some 2 dozen first downs over two seasons.

I'm certain if you break it down in terms of % it was run vs total plays/results it overachieves.... but the scarcity in which it was used likely has an impact on success no?

And therin lies my problem. I am fine with using a package like the wildcat 40 or so times a year. Look at the Pats direct snap package w. Gonzalez, but I do not think its something you should make personnel moves to cater to. Its something you make work with what you have. If it was so indepsinsable we should have kept Brad Smith who was also immensely valuable as a return man.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post

This idea that the league figured out how to stop a run with an extra blocker is ridiculous. When was this figured out?
    Did you watch the Pats regular season game and divisional playoff game against the Broncos?

I think what we are calling the Wildcat is not what we are going to see...I expect this to be something very different given the personnel...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It is a gimmick that has been figured out by NFL defensive coordinators.

Hall Of Fame
    Gimmick.

_

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    The only teams using it in the NFL are the ones that don't have a legitimate professional offense.
    i'd rather see the Jets be honest about their personnel than try to pretend Sanchez is Aaron Rodgers. The defense will keep it close, if the wildcat gets 1st downs, I'm happy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Waiting and seeing for me

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

1 - As said, it is used if you need it because your regular offense isn't good enough. The Patriots and Packers won't be running it.

2 - I haven't seen it, but the best I can tell is the Jets are not really running a wildcat. They are running plays with options and designed QB runs with Tebow. Tebow is not the first or best player to do this. Is there anyone that would not want to trade Tebow for Cam Newton? The Panthers designed runs for him, particularly in the red zone, just like the Jets will for Tebow. I would imagine the Redskins will for RGIII as well, but time will tell. Memory fails me, I believe back in the day, Vick may have had the occasional designed run called for him as well, but I don't really recall. Most of his runs now are scrambles and not designed plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchise View Post
    +1.. Brad Smith averaged 7 ypc out of the wildcat his final year with us. Its not a gimmick if you move the ball effectively.
    That's an often misquoted statistic by Jets fans. Yes, Brad Smith averaged 7.9 yards per carry in 2010. But, 91 of those yards came on two end arounds, one of which was a 53 yard TD run. Out of the wildcat formation, he averaged 5.6 yards per carry.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Did you watch the Pats regular season game and divisional playoff game against the Broncos?
    Yes. And what about that game makes my statement not true. If you don't understand the Jets have a completely different plan with Tebow than that GAME then there is no need for conversation.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i'd rather see the Jets be honest about their personnel than try to pretend Sanchez is Aaron Rodgers. The defense will keep it close, if the wildcat gets 1st downs, I'm happy.
    Only the Jets take away time from the #1's who are trying to learn an entirely new offense in training camp, to install a gimmick offense to accomodate someone they traded for and are paying almost $3mill, because their FO couldn't recognize and fix the shortcomings everyone knows they have on the OL. (after giving the #1 guy a lucrative extension that ties them to him for the forseeable future)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Only the Jets take away time from the #1's who are trying to learn an entirely new offense in training camp, to install a gimmick offense to accomodate someone they traded for and are paying almost $3mill, because their FO couldn't recognize and fix the shortcomings everyone knows they have on the OL. (after giving the #1 guy a lucrative extension that ties them to him for the forseeable future)
    Quite amazing to be a Jets "fan" who hates the Jets more than TX and Patrollie do

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

It can be a good part of an offense only if the player running it can throw reasonably well (especially deep) and if the oc actually lets the guy throw 1/3 of the time. If you have a running back that can't throw back there then teams quickly figure it out. The D has to respect the threat of a pass.