Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe the Wildcat is part of good offense or a gimmick ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Yes. And what about that game makes my statement not true. If you don't understand the Jets have a completely different plan with Tebow than that GAME then there is no need for conversation.
    Seriously??????

Exactly what will the Jets do differently?

The wildcat is nothing more than a gimmick offense, no matter what team is running it, including the Jets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    It can be a good part of an offense only if the player running it can throw reasonably well (especially deep) and if the oc actually lets the guy throw 1/3 of the time. If you have a running back that can't throw back there then teams quickly figure it out. The D has to respect the threat of a pass.
    Ronnie Brown has a higher completion percentage in the NFL than Tim Tebow.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Ronnie Brown has a higher completion percentage in the NFL than Tim Tebow.
    Ronnie Brown career 33%
    Tim Tebow career 47.3%

Can you spell fail?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Quite amazing to be a Jets "fan" who hates the Jets more than TX and Patrollie do

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    Believing they are doing something wrong doesn't mean I hate the team I root for. Of course you have to understand something about football to be able to discuss such things instead of being a mindless 'fan' who believes their team can do know wrong.

Keep waving those pom-poms

Wayne Hunter has your back

Jets Insider VIP
    Baloney

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Baloney

You have such blind faith in love for the Jets organization, and yet you constantly trash Tebow who wears a Jets jersey.

Not surprising.

All League
    Seriously??????

The wildcat is nothing more than a gimmick offense, no matter what team is running it, including the Jets.
    Please research what type of offense the Broncos ran with Tebow and we will go from there.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Please research what type of offense the Broncos ran with Tebow and we will go from there.
    Where is there to go? It was marginally successful, enough to take advantage of the advantage their defense gave them, only to get humiliated in the playoffs.

Thanks but no thanks.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    I keep hearing a lot of people say the Wildcat is just a gimmick and that no championship NFL team has ever used it. I would like to hear from other Jet fans. Have any teams successfully stopped the Wildcat time and time again ?
    IMO if it helps us win games than it it's legitimate.
    Look at the Dolphins record. I suppose if you had a perfect cast of players with which to execute it, the WC would have some strategic significance but it has been handily defended since it was introduced. Then again if you had a perfect cast of players with which to execute the WC, you probably wouldn't ever have to resort to it.

Remember the Pats wanted Tebow as well
    First time I've heard of this. Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    It is a gimmick that has been figured out by NFL defensive coordinators.
    THIS^

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    It can be a good part of an offense only if the player running it can throw reasonably well (especially deep) and if the oc actually lets the guy throw 1/3 of the time. If you have a running back that can't throw back there then teams quickly figure it out. The D has to respect the threat of a pass.
    There's the rub. Not many Ds will respect and fear the pass when Timmy has the ball. The man CAN run, however. Still a gimmick and I think it will hurt the Jets' offense more than help it as it will really screw with Sanchez' rhythm.

Banned
    What is there to research?

The 31st ranked NFL defense completely embarrassed the Broncos offense twice last season.

Can you imagine what a top ranked defense will do to Tebow and the gimmick Wildcat?

All Pro
    I'm wait and see about this, but I'm amazed that posters here speak as if they are professional coaches informing Ryan and Sparano about the value of the wildcat. I would guess that Ryan knows what it involves and how it works/fails against good defenses, since the Jets were one of them. I would guess that Sparano has some idea about the plusses and minuses from his time in Miami. And I would guess that we should wait and see how they draft it up to make it challenging for defenses. The arrogance here is frankly incredible at times. How many of the posters here really really think they know more about this issue than Ryan and Sparano? Honestly.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

What is there to research?

The 31st ranked NFL defense completely embarrassed the Broncos offense twice last season.

Can you imagine what a top ranked defense will do to Tebow and the gimmick Wildcat?
    too many complaints about you today, take a couple of days off

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Seriously??????

If you don't see a difference between what the Broncos ran and what the fins ran, you really should stop right here.

Start with the Pats could shut down the Broncos but struggled big time vs the fins with the wildcat.

It's a gimmick only to those who couldn't deal with it. They're the ones who whine about it being a gimmick the most

And thinking because Tebow played poorly as a QB, with the Broncos, means he will easily be stopped as a player in the wildcat with the Jets is a stretch. Even for you.

I keep hearing a lot of people say the Wildcat is just a gimmick and that no championship NFL team has ever used it. I would like to hear from other Jet fans. Have any teams successfully stopped the Wildcat time and time again ?
    IMO if it helps us win games than it it's legitimate.
    Can you see Bill Belli**** running this mess, ever ? On the other hand, Sparano proved it's effective if used correctly. Once or twice a season is all it deserves.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I keep hearing a lot of people say the Wildcat is just a gimmick
    The only thing that's a gimmick is a d-head troll like yourself posing as a Jets fan

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Only the Jets take away time from the #1's who are trying to learn an entirely new offense in training camp, to install a gimmick offense
    the other side of the wildcat is that other teams have to take time out of their practices to prep for a package they probably haven't seen since college. Teams will have to gameplan against Tebow, and that's less time they are working on other things.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i'd rather see the Jets be honest about their personnel than try to pretend Sanchez is Aaron Rodgers. The defense will keep it close, if the wildcat gets 1st downs, I'm happy.
    +1000

Does anyone understand this? Sanchez at MOST is an average, maybe, just maybe he can become an ABOVE AVERAGE QB over the next few years.
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at his body of work over the last 3 years to determine that he is NOT going to be Rogers, Brady, Brees, Newton, Stafford, ect.
    HE'S JUST NOT ACCURATE ENOUGH!

But, he's good enough to burn ya if he gets some time, he moves around pretty good & I think Sparano will be taking some chances "down the field" this year.

With that said, as much as a bunch of you people want to call the Wildcat a "gimmick", tell that to the experts such as Polian, Parcells, Belichick, & there are more who have chimed in on this very topic.

WE ARE NOT RUNNING IT THE ENTIRE GAME PEOPLE!
    Just the fact that the Broncos won 8 games last year with Tebow doing this rope a dope,, peak & run in itself tells you that Tebow aint no ordinary wildcatter.

Tebow will be a royal pain in the azz this season for opposing defenses. He will prolong drives for Sanchez to get another 3 downs, as Polian stated on Sirius NFL network, he's impossible to stop inside the 5 yard line & now that he's running at 250Lbs, he's bigger than some LBs & can put a HURTIN on CBs & smaller safeties in this league.

MARK THIS DOWN......We will win a game because of Tebow...it's inevitable...the guys a winner. It might be him breaking a tackle for some crazy run, it might be him faking a running play & hitting Hill for an 80 yard TD, it might be him running out of punt formation for a 1st down prolonging a drive.

But what I think might be the most interesting aspect of this offense, could be when we have a lead in the 4th quarter & Rex/Sparano feel that the opposing D is losing steam.
    I don't know about you guys but if I'm seeing my defense tire, the last thing I want to see is the 250LB Tebow lining up with guys like Hill, Kerley, McKnight, running some kind of crazy versions of the i, wildcat, single wing, read & react shat.

Tebow in 2011 took ALL THE SNAPS! Do you know how tiring that is playing the way he does in the NFL?
    With the Jets he might have 2-5 plays in the 1st half & be fresh as a daisy when Sparano unleashes him in the 4th quarter on a tired defense having trouble stopping the run.

I would guarantee you that had the Pats had anyone else at QB other than Tom terrific, Belichick would have been one of the 1st coaches on the phone. BB loves versatility, & that's what Tebow brings with him. The guy is a one of a kind football player.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    Can you see Bill Belli**** running this mess, ever ? On the other hand, Sparano proved it's effective if used correctly. Once or twice a season is all it deserves.
    YES! see my response in this thread.
    BB happens to have maybe the greatest QB OF ALL TIME!
    Of course he doesn't have to use this!

If he had Hoyer & Mallett, he'd welcome Tebow with open arms. BB is creative MOFO.

All League
    It's a bit of both. It's a gimmick in that you won't win a Super Bowl running a steady diet of wildcat (IMO). You'll need that one field general to win it all. On the other hand, for an underwhelming offense like the Jets', it can help.

That being said, for the ultimate goal, winning in January & February, I say the wildcat is definitely more of a gimmick. The Jets SHOULD use it though.