Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Do you believe the Wildcat is part of good offense or a gimmick ?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Yes, but is it entertaining to watch? There are other teams out there playing real football and it's televised.

I don't see why not.....I am a huge college football fan as well. I love watching all different offenses, and I think the spread option is making it's way into the NFL game more and more each year.

There will also be a lot of cool trick plays that we will see this season.

If all you care about is the air assault, become a fan of the Patriots or Saints.......The Jets are certianly not what you would be looking for.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Bulls Eye! Listened to Joe Gibbs this morning and he gave it thumbs up as it gives the opposing team a lot to cover in practice and Tebow is taylor made for it... got to respect his opinion...
    It's amazing how many "football people" are endorsing it, while most no nothing Media idiots are crucifying it.
    Gibbs, Parcells, Belichick, Polian, & many others have repeatly said that it takes away from regular prep time & that Tebow is one of the best players in football history, college & pro.

Never underestimate this Tim Tebow drive to be successful, the best team mate he can be & how he will do anything to help his team win!
    Love him or hate him u have to admit that he's a badazz football player & at 250Lbs, I can't wait till he runs a sweep on a rollout so I can see what DBs want to take him on Headup.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post

I don't see why not.....I am a huge college football fan as well. I love watching all different offenses, and I think the spread option is making it's way into the NFL game more and more each year.

There will also be a lot of cool trick plays that we will see this season.

If all you care about is the air assault, become a fan of the Patriots or Saints.......The Jets are certianly not what you would be looking for.
    Um, running game? "cool" trick plays? Oxymoron. I find it takes away from the rhythm and momentum of the game as a spectator, I can only imagine what it does to a player trying to get into some kind of playing rhythm, especially one still working on developing his skills.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    So if Tebow was foisted upon the coaches, don't you think they would limit his role and avoid all the problems cited? Yet that is clearly not the course Rex or Tony are taking.... the rest is a matter of confidence in the coaching staff's ability to coach. The last point is empty. When did Rex or Tony indicate that they are running a two quarterback system? Bottom line is that we have no clue how this is going to play out, what schemes have been drawn, how often they will be used, and whether they will be different than the versions we've seen in the past on the Jets, Dolphins, Eagles, or Broncos. Second guessing in a vacuum is a useless exercise. But obviously that doesn't stop posters from engaging in their fantasies and regurgitating the same tired material over and over.
    I highly doubt that Tebow was "foisted" on the CS. Based on what we know and have seen with this team, that's not how decisions are made. Now, I won't dispute that the PR aspect of the move might not have dissuaded the Jets (Woody specifically) like it may have some other teams, but I highly doubt that this came as an edict from Woody and/or Tanny, and was stuffed down Rex's throat like it was a cannoli.

Rex and Tony S. like the Wildcat. Whether they are warranted in that thought process is a different debate. But, they like it. It probably was a small, but significant component in bringing him on, in that they see eye to eye there.

Tanny doesn't make personnel decisions unilaterally and Woody is just a putz in a suit wearing a Jets hat.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's obvious that for some teams, the wildcat simply will not work for them. Maybe they stand their best chance at moving the ball with their QB throwing the ball? Maybe they are trying to develop a young QB and they want their QB to get the reps.

In our case, I think the wildcat works for us and so must Rex. He employed when Schotty was here and now he's going to stick with it with Sparano. When Brad Smith was here I thought it brought us a big play ability that we didn't have with Sanchez alone.

Along those lines, I think the addition of Tim Tebow will turn out to make us one of the best wildcat running teams in the league. Brad Smith had some big plays for us running the wildcat. So how could it be a bad thing having a guy that has that "big play" ability just playing football running our wildcat?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So if Tebow was foisted upon the coaches, don't you think they would limit his role and avoid all the problems cited? Yet that is clearly not the course Rex or Tony are taking.... the rest is a matter of confidence in the coaching staff's ability to coach. The last point is empty. When did Rex or Tony indicate that they are running a two quarterback system? Bottom line is that we have no clue how this is going to play out, what schemes have been drawn, how often they will be used, and whether they will be different than the versions we've seen in the past on the Jets, Dolphins, Eagles, or Broncos. Second guessing in a vacuum is a useless exercise. But obviously that doesn't stop posters from engaging in their fantasies and regurgitating the same tired material over and over.

The owner tells you that he wants him on the field, your going to put him on the field. Just like our jobs, were told what to do, we tell the boss the issues with the process and then we do what the boss wants- to the best of our ability.

Well I can tell you by reading the reports they are giving Tebow a hell of a lot more reps with the 1st string offense than the normal 2nd string qb takes, especially in light they they are putting in a new offense this year for the 1st string qb already. I been going to training camps for over 30 years
    and 10 nfl HC and the B/U is lucky to get 20% at most of the snaps with the first string. Most reports have Tebow and Sanchez taking almost the same number.

Rex has said that there will be packages for Tebow as a qb and he has said it multiple times. We might not know want those situations are but he has said that they will be part of the offense.

Mark Sanchez has also commented that there will be times when Tebow is under center. If that is not two a 2 qb situation what is?

To extrapolate those statements into Tebow will takes snaps as a qb when the jets are in a running situation is not a great leap.

90% of the posts on football sites have to do with guess work and conjecture. If all we could comment on was things they were known we could only comment on things that happened already and not what may or may not take place. What we do is have divergent opinions on what may take place and the reasons each of us have those opinions. If you think expressing your thoughts on what may occur regarding this team is an exercise in futility I am surprised you post at all.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The owner tells you that he wants him on the field, your going to put him on the field. Just like our jobs, were told what to do, we tell the boss the issues with the process and then we do what the boss wants- to the best of our ability.

Well I can tell you by reading the reports they are giving Tebow a hell of a lot more reps with the 1st string offense than the normal 2nd string qb takes, especially in light they they are putting in a new offense this year for the 1st string qb already. I been going to training camps for over 30 years
    and 10 nfl HC and the B/U is lucky to get 20% at most of the snaps with the first string. Most reports have Tebow and Sanchez taking almost the same number.

Rex has said that there will be packages for Tebow as a qb and he has said it multiple times. We might not know want those situations are but he has said that they will be part of the offense.

Mark Sanchez has also commented that there will be times when Tebow is under center. If that is not two a 2 qb situation what is?

To extrapolate those statements into Tebow will takes snaps as a qb when the jets are in a running situation is not a great leap.

90% of the posts on football sites have to do with guess work and conjecture. If all we could comment on was things they were known we could only comment on things that happened already and not what may or may not take place. What we do is have divergent opinions on what may take place and the reasons each of us have those opinions. If you think expressing your thoughts on what may occur regarding this team is an exercise in futility I am surprised you post at all.
    when brad smith was here, did we have a 2 qb system?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get the impression that Rex is simply told how to use players and has to comply. Woody is not Jerry Jones or Al Davis. Not sure why you think that's the case.

The practice points you make are of interest and at least support the question of what might be happening.

On the last point, I can only say, depends on the issue. If somebody is stating an opinion on something observable I have no problem whatsoever. If they're offering speculation, so be it. But the tone of the speculators is rarely tentative or open-minded. About like the posters who tell us what our end of year record will be before the season has even started and then argue about it as if it's fact.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once the def. is a bit tired, Tebow with fresh legs will be able to have a impact. look at his comebacks last year... his running against tired a def actually worked. If nothing else, it will be interesting to see come Sept 9th (or a play or two Sat. night).

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course the Wildcat is a gimmick.

How is that even debatable?

In NFL history, or at least since the merger, which teams have made it some kind of significant part of their offense?

Us and the Dolphins?

Two teams with mediocre at best offenses.

Teams with good, established QB's wouldn't even think about running this goofy nonsense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

The reports your reading from training camp with Tebow's stats are with the 2nd team. He's taken less than 10% of the offensive snaps with the 1st, except for the two days they've worked on the wildcat package.

Essentially Tebow is looking far worse as a QB with the same Recievers, but going against the 2nd team defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    when brad smith was here, did we have a 2 qb system?
    No, but Brad Smith did not take 1/2 of the preseason and training camp snaps.

Brad Smith was not listed on the depth chart as the #2 qb.

Brad Smith threw the ball 10 times in his career as a NY jet.

Brad Smith never started a game at qb

Brad Smith never qb a team in the playoffs

Why would I ever consider Brad Smith to be a QB?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    The reports your reading from training camp with Tebow's stats are with the 2nd team. He's taken less than 10% of the offensive snaps with the 1st, except for the two days they've worked on the wildcat package.

Essentially Tebow is looking far worse as a QB with the same Receivers, but going against the 2nd team defense.
    I am going by what I saw on ESPN and the nfl network also. That was the 1st string o line in front of him. I can read numbers on uniforms. Granted who knows who is the 1st string wr with hill and holmes being dinged a bit this TC. But keller was out there.

It is no surprise to hear that Mark is playing better than Tebow. Even the most ardent Tebow supporters believe that Tebow will ever look as good as mark in a practice situation.

As far as the 1st or 2nd string defense, who knows, But plenty of times it was against revis and cro. I also don't know how Rex handles the rotation of players at camp but what The two Bills and Pete Carrol did was rotate the 1st d and the 1st offense at different snap amounts, so that you could see the 2nd O against the 1st D and visa versa, and not just 1st offense against the 1st d.

During the season is when coaches have the 1st team practice against the 2nd team as as a scout team. If you do that in camp how can you compare one player against another?.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Of course the Wildcat is a gimmick.

How is that even debatable?

In NFL history, or at least since the merger, which teams have made it some kind of significant part of their offense?

Us and the Dolphins?

Two teams with mediocre at best offenses.

Teams with good, established QB's wouldn't even think about running this goofy nonsense.
    Apparently, some folks here think it's the wave of the future. Some have even likened it to the evolution of the forward pass--but now we're going to go backwards in time.

Once they see how great it works for us, nobody is going to want to have an offense like GB or NO or NE.

Passing offenses will be seen as just a fad after the world gets a good look at Tebow-mania.

Goofy nonsense--I like that.

_
    Last edited by JStokes; 08-16-2012 at 03:02 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get the impression that Rex is simply told how to use players and has to comply. Woody is not Jerry Jones or Al Davis. Not sure why you think that's the case.

The practice points you make are of interest and at least support the question of what might be happening.

On the last point, I can only say, depends on the issue. If somebody is stating an opinion on something observable I have no problem whatsoever. If they're offering speculation, so be it. But the tone of the speculators is rarely tentative or open-minded. About like the posters who tell us what our end of year record will be before the season has even started and then argue about it as if it's fact.
    As far as whose Idea on bringing in Tebow--- Because, I think the Rex believes that Sanchez is psychologically fragile as afar as nfl qbs go and that Mark's hold on the locker room leader was tentative at best. I don't see Rex believing that the cure for that is bringing in the most polarizing, charismatic and popular player in the NFL. I have no doubt that any NFL coach does not admire Tebow's competitiveness and work ethic and I have no doubt that Tebow has shown those traits to Rex on the field and in the locker room.

I think woody is a media whore (for his team, not himself), he forced Farve down Mangini's throat and i do not doubt that he did the same to Rex with Tebow.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It could be both.

Kind of like Life Cereal, which is both delicious AND part of a nutritiously balanced breakfast.