Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 8/15 Tweets and Info

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Jets sign CB LeQuan Lewis (Arizona State).
    we need a WR, move Cro, sign a new CB. Brilliant!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    CORTLAND, N.Y. -- Observations from Wednesday, the last public practice here:

1. Nose tackle could be an issue. Sione Po'uha claimed he's "100 percent" confident his ailing back won't hamper him during the season, but that might be wishful thinking. He's 33 years old and he plays the most physically demanding position on the field. The coaches could reduce Po'uha's playing time to save wear and tear, but here's the problem: His backup, Kenrick Ellis, isn't ready for a significant role. There is one silver lining: The nose tackle won't have to play a lot in the season opener. The Jets will be in nickel and dime all day because of the Bills' spread formations.

2. Get ready, tight ends. Dustin Keller, Jeff Cumberland and Josh Baker made several catches in team drills, perhaps a harbinger of what the offense might look like early in the season. With all the injuries at wide receiver, coordinator Tony Sparano might have to incorporate more tight-end packages into his early game plans. All three have the ability to make plays in the passing game.

3. The sixth offensive lineman. Mark this down: RT Austin Howard will have a role on offense. He won't unseat RT Wayne Hunter, at least not soon, but he'll be involved in the "Jumbo" package as an extra blocker/tight end. That could do wonders for the running game, which didn't have a good "Jumbo" last season. Howard is fairly nimble for a 330-pound man, so he can be used in motion. Line coach Dave DeGuglielmo called Howard "a very rare talent" in terms of pure power at the point of attack.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

FYI---Howard was a TE his first 2 yrs in College
    Saturday night will go a long way in determining who will get the start at RT. Hunter probably has the edge but it sounds like Howard has a shot the way the coaches have been talking him up lately. It is definitely the biggest position battle and bares watching closely.

The TE's need to get their shi# together in pass protection and blocking. I didn't see anything impressive Friday. Actually quite the opposite when Cumberland got blown up in the pass rush. I don't see any push in the run game either. I believe that's why we ran so many jumbo OL/TE plays last season -- we still don't have a traditional blocking TE and this bears watching.

Not concerned with Pouha. I think Devito would start if he can't go and Ellis and Harrison look pretty good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    we need a WR, move Cro, sign a new CB. Brilliant!
    Can't wait to see how many of these types of posters go wild the first time Cro beats coverage deep and scores a TD. I have little doubt someone who cares enough will repost all these quotes.

I just don't get the negativity. We're critically thin at WR. If Cro can give us an extra live body out there that demands coverage and helps us make plays, why the hell not. Injury risk? Sure, but I don't think we'll be seeing him crossing in traffic so I don't worry too much about it.

The prevailing attitude is "Hey, Rex is trying something outside the box so hey, let's crucify him for not being exactly like every other coach in the league". You know what, this team has holes, and maybe our best shot at a title is to throw some dice and take a few risks. At least it won't be boring.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Cimini has been notoriously anti-Ellis since he beginning, saying that there was a good chance Ellis would be deported because of his arrest. he wasn't.

Cimini then said Ellis would miss most of training camp while serving his jail sentence. he didn't.

now he's saying that Ellis isn't ready for a significant role, after Ellis has been playin with the first team all of training camp and had a very solid showing against the Bengals.
    +2

Really excited about Ellis, he has looked good so far this preseason

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not saying that I think Sione's back issues are nonexistent but let's just say that the team gets to sit a very solid veteran player out of whom we know exactly what we are going to get and at the same time force feed the development of a 2nd year player by channeling him important reps and playing time.

Win win from where I sit.

There are plenty of places to have legitimate concerns about this team. Plenty of them but the DL in my opinion is not going to be one of those.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Can't wait to see how many of these types of posters go wild the first time Cro beats coverage deep and scores a TD. I have little doubt someone who cares enough will repost all these quotes.

I just don't get the negativity. We're critically thin at WR. If Cro can give us an extra live body out there that demands coverage and helps us make plays, why the hell not. Injury risk? Sure, but I don't think we'll be seeing him crossing in traffic so I don't worry too much about it.

The prevailing attitude is "Hey, Rex is trying something outside the box so hey, let's crucify him for not being exactly like every other coach in the league". You know what, this team has holes, and maybe our best shot at a title is to throw some dice and take a few risks. At least it won't be boring.
    relax, Dan, I just thought it was a little circuitous to fill a hole by digging another hole, then filling that hole.

I love my coach and all his players unconditionally. No negativity here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    relax, Dan, I just thought it was a little circuitous to fill a hole by digging another hole, then filling that hole.

I love my coach and all his players unconditionally. No negativity here.
    no problem but there is more than enough here to last a lifetime.

Also, I don't think playing Cro at WR a few snaps a game is creating a hole at CB. He's still our #2 CB and fortunately, probably one of the best #2s in the league.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post

That right there is enough reason to give pause.

Not to mention fatigue and how it might affect his play at corner.

I think it's a terrible idea if the idea is to give him significant snaps at WR. If it's a couple times per game, sure why not.

But the need at WR is significant enough IMO to warrant looking at a veteran WR when one is available.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 'jumbo' package just sucks and does almost nothing for a running game unless all you want to get is 2 yards.