Thread: Highschool football advice please

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    1. Height and weight?

2. offense or defense? what position?

3. Allow him to have a protein shake or 2 a day

4. Eat well. He's young so big portions are ok but eating well is the key for his energy level.

5. Tons of water. Tons!!
    He's about 6'1"-6'2"....170 ish.

Agreed with the diet stuff, I hammered that home with him today.

As I said before, he is leaning towards TE...but of course a coach with a keen eye will see if he has any talent... and find a spot. He never played, so he prolly has no clue as to where he should play. Me being the dad...am clueless as well.

He's no speed demon, but for his body type, he has a pretty solid lower tier...

He could bulk up to lineman...have no idea of what the competition looks like at his school.

He def. has workable size for a HS player.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    I'd just instill in the kid to be aggressive and hustle. Try to teach him proper technique and safety (ie keep your head up when tackling, etc...). The general playcalling he'll get down after a few weeks. Its something he'll have to learn from the playbook when he gets one.

Tell him to introduce himself as the Elephant Man. People will be intrigued.
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Best advice I can give is to play and tackle with his head up. That is the best way to avoid injury.

I can offer a lot of advice for line play, LB play. Skill positions, not so much. If he isn't playing a skill position, foot speed goes a long, long way.

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    To bad there's not an old revered ex coach around to give you some pointers, generate some advice to give to the sopne.

Whatever you do, keep him away from the Pfail strip.

_

lol, mow that grass.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Find out the type of offense they run. Then do some basic searches on the various sites that break this stuff down. Have him get familiar with the formations and how they number the gaps. Once he gets that down the rest of the verbiage will make a lot more sense. Just tell him to go out and dont be afraid to make a mistake, everyone makes them. Football is an effort sport, tell him to have fun and play fast.
    Thanks, that makes sense.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    He's about 6'1"-6'2"....170 ish.

Agreed with the diet stuff, I hammered that home with him today.

As I said before, he is leaning towards TE...but of course a coach with a keen eye will see if he has any talent... and find a spot. He never played, so he prolly has no clue as to where he should play. Me being the dad...am clueless as well.

He's no speed demon, but for his body type, he has a pretty solid lower tier...

He could bulk up to lineman...have no idea of what the competition looks like at his school.

He def. has workable size for a HS player.
    He has nice size for a 15 yr old. He may make it on that alone depending on the talent trying out. If he want's to play TE, get him going with some hand eye activities. Soft hands is key here.

I wouldn't worry so much yet on the play calling or formations. If he shows that he can run, catch and block at the TE position he will make the team, especially with his size. At that point he will learn the plays and formations of the offense they are going to use.

Hall Of Fame
    Forget the Internet. Tell him to do what his coaches say and to be "coachable". Finish first in sprints. Coaches love that crap.

Jets Insider VIP
    As I said before, he is leaning towards TE...but of course a coach with a keen eye will see if he has any talent... and find a spot. .
    'ceptin of course if it's the freakin' Jets...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    He has nice size for a 15 yr old. He may make it on that alone depending on the talent trying out. If he want's to play TE, get him going with some hand eye activities. Soft hands is key here.

I wouldn't worry so much yet on the play calling or formations. If he shows that he can run, catch and block at the TE position he will make the team, especially with his size. At that point he will learn the plays and formations of the offense they are going to use.
    Thanks, thats pretty much my take.

I just dont want to see him embarrassed.

Its a helpless feeling not having played myself.

Its one thing to watch a game and hurl advice at the TV...its another to actually know what to tell a kid to do when he's blocking.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

First, he should be up front about his inexperience. If the coaches are looking at him knowing that he needs to learn x's and o's and technique, they'll look more for printer and potential.

Next, I'd say that if he's got to choose a position (I don't really see why he would, usually the coaches will put a player where they think they'll fit the scheme best, but it sounds like that's where he's at), I'd go for D - it's generally the best place for a raw player to show some general athleticism, hustle and coachability while minimizing any hindrance from not knowing the game that well. He's in 10th grade I'm guessing, so at that size he probably could be a DE (depending on the makeup of the squad, and the defensive scheme, of course), and D-line is an excellent position for a raw kid to start. Most plays, he'll have a definite responsibility in terms of a gap, and after that, it's basically defeat the block and tackle (or pursue and tackle) the ball.

Otherwise, his chance to show that he should make the team will come in drills - blocking and tackling drills will show the coach that he's got raw ability, and that they should keep him around and coach him up to learn the rest. Have him pay attention when they're instructing, and ask a few questions before our after practice to make sure he's got it, and to show them he wants to learn.

Hall Of Fame
    I never played and my time on the couch drunk every evening at 6pm while watching Facts of Life reruns is not going to help him with the hands on version of the game.

Thx
    fixed

All League
    I once scored four touchdowns in a single game.

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    To bad there's not an old revered ex coach around to give you some pointers, generate some advice to give to the sopne.

Whatever you do, keep him away from the Pfail strip.

_
    LOLs!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    First, he should be up front about his inexperience. If the coaches are looking at him knowing that he needs to learn x's and o's and technique, they'll look more for printer and potential.

Absolutely, told him that.... and the rest of your post was spot on, too.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    My 15 year old Sopne out of the blue decided to go out for the football team and reported to the first practise today. Has never shown any interest, never played at any level, was always a baseball kid.

Seems determined...handled the first day well (according to him) but he did say there seemed to be alot of general playcalling that he had no idea about...he came home exhausted, but told me he intends on sticking it out as long as they let him show up.

To those who have coached or played...is there a way to get him up to speed on the very basic stuff? I hammered him about his diet and sleep habits..

I never played and my time on the couch watching the Jets is not going to help him with the hands on version of the game.

Thx
    No, not really you have to experience it, and obviously the younger the better. My advice would be to make sure he is in shape maybe you can help with that, HS football is all about conditioning and go to some practices and or games to give support if he wants. Being in shape is up to him learning the plays will come. Defense is easier on the brain, thought wise that is.........

I felt the same way when my boy decided to add lacrosse. I never played. YouTube 32, It effin has everything. When he was not around, read when I should have been working, I googled lax drills/offense/defense/positions the whole bit. I taught myself enough to really help him in the early stages. I also talked to his coaches to see what he needed to work on and went back to Google to get a better understanding of what he needed to do and how to improve his weak points. If you have a willing pupil you really can help him. Now 6 years later he decides he does not want to play in college. I spent thousands dude on equipment travel team bull**** and he just wants to go to school and have fun while getting edgumacated. Dad pays for it all. AHHHHHHH.
    Good luck and enjoy the ride. It really is alot of fun.

Make sure he carries a Sharpie in his sock. When he scores his first TD (practice or game) have him sign the ball, hand it to the coach and tell him it'll be worth something some day. Coaches dig confidence.

Does he know how to 'Tebow' yet?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Make sure he carries a Sharpie in his sock. When he scores his first TD (practice or game) have him sign the ball, hand it to the coach and tell him it'll be worth something some day. Coaches dig confidence.

for some reason this made me chuckle...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    No, not really you have to experience it, and obviously the younger the better. My advice would be to make sure he is in shape maybe you can help with that, HS football is all about conditioning and go to some practices and or games to give support if he wants. Being in shape is up to him learning the plays will come. Defense is easier on the brain, thought wise that is.........
    He was hitting the gym and running, before this football thing... so hopefully it will help him.

Quote Originally Posted by TKasper01 View Post
    I felt the same way when my boy decided to add lacrosse. I never played. YouTube 32, It effin has everything. When he was not around, read when I should have been working, I googled lax drills/offense/defense/positions the whole bit. I taught myself enough to really help him in the early stages. I also talked to his coaches to see what he needed to work on and went back to Google to get a better understanding of what he needed to do and how to improve his weak points. If you have a willing pupil you really can help him. Now 6 years later he decides he does not want to play in college. I spent thousands dude on equipment travel team bull**** and he just wants to go to school and have fun while getting edgumacated. Dad pays for it all. AHHHHHHH.
    Good luck and enjoy the ride. It really is alot of fun.
    Google is god, good advice.

Since he is more adept at the 'puter stuff, I told him he should lurk around there for some tips...hopefully he does. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post

lol

I cut the sleeves off all his shirts and tole him to say "aw shucks" whilst flexing and looking for the next camera...which seems to be Tebows act, btw.

If he wants to be a TE, show him Matt Mulligans highlight reel and then tell your sopne to do the complete opposite.

for reals

Play like a Jet!

I know it's tough when you first start, but in drills where he doesn't have to think much, tell him to go full speed and be aggressive as hell.....Hit someone! (Of course see what you hit, don't want to get injured)

The whole mental aspect will come with time, but nothing is stopping him from going hard the whole practice and out hustling everyone......Coaches will always find a spot for someone like this, even if it's special teams at first while he learns.

I also agree with the poster above that said that DE would be much easier for him......I played outside linebacker when I first started and a little DL on 3rd downs and it was so much easier than learning all of the plays and offensive gameplans.....Defense is more so about your responsibility alone and letting your athleticism and instincts take over. Much better for beginners IMO.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Play like a Jet!
    He wants his kid to be somewhat successful.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Play like a Jet!

I know it's tough when you first start, but in drills where he doesn't have to think much, tell him to go full speed and be aggressive as hell.....Hit someone! (Of course see what you hit, don't want to get injured)

The whole mental aspect will come with time, but nothing is stopping him from going hard the whole practice and out hustling everyone......Coaches will always find a spot for someone like this, even if it's special teams at first while he learns.

I also agree with the poster above that said that DE would be much easier for him......I played outside linebacker when I first started and a little DL on 3rd downs and it was so much easier than learning all of the plays and offensive gameplans.....Defense is more so about your responsibility alone and letting your athleticism and instincts take over. Much better for beginners IMO.

GL
    Perfect, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    He wants his kid to be somewhat successful.
    Ya got me there....