Thread: Better NFL prospect: Rainey or Demps?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Better NFL prospect: Rainey or Demps?

With the news of the Jets' interest in Demps, I'm curious how he compares to his ex-teammate, Chris Rainey, who went in the fifth round and appears to have a very similar skill set. Anyone recall hearing what his draft projection was?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always was under the presumption that UF thought higher of Demps. Rainey was slightly faster, but he was kicked off the team too without really any fanfare.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    I always was under the presumption that UF thought higher of Demps. Rainey was slightly faster, but he was kicked off the team too without really any fanfare.
    I doubt Rainey is faster, word is that Demps runs a 4.24 40-time and was in the Olympics for track.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Rantsports (?)

http://www.rantsports.com/washington...ns-interested/
    The Olympic silver medalist who contributed to Team U.S.A.’s 4 x 100 relay and former running back of the Florida Gators - Jeff Demps has filed his papers with the NFL in hopes to return to football. Demps forged the 2012 NFL Draft in April to focus on his dream of being in the Olympics and successfully made USA’s team. Although he didn’t win a gold medal, he did take home silver – which is still pretty impressive.

Now that Jeff Demps has filed papers with the NFL, it will be interesting to see who gives him an opportunity. He’s between 5ft 7 – 5ft 8 and is 190 pounds, which is not big but it wouldn’t make him the smallest football player either. His former Florida teammate Chris Rainey is 5ft 8, 180 pounds and is already drawing raves from the Pittsburgh Steelers fan-base. Demps is faster and more explosive than Rainey, and some scouts feel that he’s more of a natural football player.

Of course, during February’s Senior Bowl, Washington Redskins‘ head coach, Mike Shanahan had an opportunity to coach Chris Rainey and had a plan set forth on how to use him. Shanahan envisioned Rainey as more of a receiver and a 3rd down change of pace back. Rainey didn’t fit the bill character wise and came across a bit arrogant, but Demps is totally different - ”He is the best kid I ever coached – not just talent-wise, but character-wise,” said Walter Banks, Demps’ mentor at South Lake High in Florida. “He’s the one that if there are a thousand people out there waiting for his autograph, he wants to stay until he’s signed for everybody. He doesn’t want to let anyone down.”

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    That roto article may have just put me in Demps' bandwagon. My only concern is how would we make room for him?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    here's a nice little Demps / Rainey vid. Have to look close to see who's who. (Rainey is #3, Demps is #2 or #28)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GW4mrekBLw

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Demps is not just a track star – his speed translates to the football field. Just take a look at this video of him out running an entire Kentucky defense that had angles on him"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW4X664GRt0

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking as an FSU fan Demps is amazing. The only reason he went undrafted was because he wanted to do the Olympics and made it known. Had he been drafted he would have not been able to go but he also had to declare. He was a 3-4th round projection didn't do the combine and didn't workout for anyone. If he wants a job my guess is he finds one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Speaking as an FSU fan Demps is amazing. The only reason he went undrafted was because he wanted to do the Olympics and made it known. Had he been drafted he would have not been able to go but he also had to declare. He was a 3-4th round projection didn't do the combine and didn't workout for anyone. If he wants a job my guess is he finds one.
    The reason he went undrafted is because he didn't enter the draft for the Olympics.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    "Demps is not just a track star – his speed translates to the football field. Just take a look at this video of him out running an entire Kentucky defense that had angles on him"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW4X664GRt0
    I remember that play. That's a jaw-dropper right there.

He's also be the best return guy on the team.

For the first time, I'm actually glad to have Tebow on the team. Come on Tebow, work your magic and get Demps to sign with us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    The reason he went undrafted is because he didn't enter the draft for the Olympics.

He had to be draft eligible. If he wasn't we wouldn't even be talking about him right now. Unless he declared he wouldn't be able to go UFA this year. There was some question if he did declare but a lot of guys declare but are left off the list.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    rainey is a WR who can't catch or an RB who can't run between the tackles. Either way it's an exciting but flawed set of skills. Demps is better across the board.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    And because Al Davis is dead. In the old days, Al would have drafted him just in case.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    rainey is a WR who can't catch or an RB who can't run between the tackles. Either way it's an exciting but flawed set of skills. Demps is better across the board.
    According to Cimini:

"If he had entered the 2012 draft, he would've been a seventh-round pick or a priority free agent, according to a personnel executive."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...kjets&id=14340

Surprising considering Rainey was a 5th rounder

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    here's a nice little Demps / Rainey vid. Have to look close to see who's who. (Rainey is #3, Demps is #2 or #28)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GW4mrekBLw
    Damn damn and triple damn.... We need this guy!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know these are preselected highlights, but damn! Its hard not to get excited with type of speed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    According to Cimini:

"If he had entered the 2012 draft, he would've been a seventh-round pick or a priority free agent, according to a personnel executive."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...kjets&id=14340

Surprising considering Rainey was a 5th rounder
    if Jeff Demps went to Indy and ran a legit 4.2 there's no way he'd be a free agent. I can believe that executive graded him out that way but with the hype of combine season he'd have shot up the boards.