Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Logic and #24

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe Namath was never the best player in the league.

How can you compare Revis who as a CB is on about 10 plays a game with Lebron who is on easily 60 times the ball is in his hands? Revis eliminates 1/5 of the opponents offense on his best day. He covers 1 wr that is it.

Teams could send a wr out deep 20 plays and Revis will be 20 yards away from the play. You are comparing him to Rogers, Manning etc, guys who touch the ball and actually decide where to throw the ball.

Revis is a great player and is being paid like one, even though he plays a position that is easier to game plan around. You think he should be paid like a top QB, when your already paying a qb 15mill. Your willingness to have two players taking up 1/4 of the cap room that is meant for 53 players.

Teams can not do that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Revis is a great player and is being paid like one, even though he plays a position that is easier to game plan around. You think he should be paid like a top QB, when your already paying a qb 15mill. Your willingness to have two players taking up 1/4 of the cap room that is meant for 53 players.

Teams can not do that.
    I agree with this and if there is a mistake here it is paying Sanchez like the QB they hope he will be, instead of paying Revis for the CB that he is. that's what would get Tannenbaum fired, the Sanchez situation.

If Sanchez turns into Brees then sure maybe they don't need revis. that's unlikely. I believe a deal will get done before next season but to all those who think the Jets don't need Revis, i don't know what to say.
    Last edited by bitonti; 08-16-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I agree with this and if there is a mistake here it is paying Sanchez like the QB they hope he will be, instead of paying Revis for the CB that he is. that's what would get Tannenbaum fired, the Sanchez situation.

If Sanchez turns into Brees then sure maybe they don't need revis. that's unlikely. I believe a deal will get done before next season but to all those who think the Jets don't need Revis, i don't know what to say.
    LOL...what are you just re-typing what you wrote all last season??

Isnt there some draft stuff you should be reading up on? Maybe this year they will let you be a part of the Draftinsiders.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    If we miss the playoffs this year, I'd have a hard time making Revis the highest paid defensive player in the league.

If we pay him after missing the playoffs twice in a row, we'll have no money to build this team like we need to. And at that point what has he won for us?

We can trade him, get 1 first, 3rd and a player. And take the money Revis would have cost and grab 2-3 more nice players. So basically it's 5 OR 6 players for 1.

Keep Cro and Wilson and look to groom another CB from next years draft or FA.
    Well said.

It's not that the Jets don't need Revis, it's that another losing season in 2012 would mean the team has far too many holes to invest a huge amount into a CB that couldn't get them get over the hurdle with two AFCCG appearances, and who was on the roster for two non-winning seasons.

Deion Sanders was undoubtedly the best CB in the league when Atlanta had him, but Prime didn't impact the W-L column enough to justify the $$. They let him go, and 5 years later they were in the SB. Do they get there if the big-money deal he eventually got from Dallas was on the books? Don't know, but you have to understand where others are coming from when they say it might be best to spend that money elsewhere.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

it is not that the jets don't need Revis it is just that they can not afford him. you cant pay a qb 15, a LT 8, a center 8 a mlb 8 a LCB 8 and still pay Revis 15.

The pats needed Samuel and Seymour but could not afford them and still pay Brady and Wilfork 28 mil.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of you feedback, even those who said dump

I know the LeBron thing is a reach, I just find it interesting to watch how we handle this moving forward.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    they should pay him now... cause the price is only going up.
    Rubbish. The price for CBs is going down since Al Davis died as you well know.

Revis should give the Jets a refund.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry

disagree completely

best defensive player in the NFL -- sure HOF player -- pay him what he is worth

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we miss the playoffs this year, I'd have a hard time making Revis the highest paid defensive player in the league.

If we pay him after missing the playoffs twice in a row, we'll have no money to build this team like we need to. And at that point what has he won for us?

We can trade him, get 1 first, 3rd and a player. And take the money Revis would have cost and grab 2-3 more nice players. So basically it's 5 OR 6 players for 1.

Keep Cro and Wilson and look to groom another CB from next years draft or FA.
    No denying Revis' stature as one of the premier defensive players in the league, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find a team willing to do a deal like you describe. I can't see any team willing to give up a 1st, a 3rd, a player AND pay Revis what he he wants to keep him happy and not holding out. Few teams have the cap room to pay a CB like a QB plus mortgage their future by giving up 2 high draft picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    No denying Revis' stature as one of the premier defensive players in the league, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find a team willing to do a deal like you describe. I can't see any team willing to give up a 1st, a 3rd, a player AND pay Revis what he he wants to keep him happy and not holding out. Few teams have the cap room to pay a CB like a QB plus mortgage their future by giving up 2 high draft picks.
    I don't see much of a market for him either next year. A dark horse could be indy. They have Their qb locked up for 5 years at 5mil per, and Freeney is coming off the cap at 17 mil. They may be willing to give something up to get him a year early. My guess if he gets to FA in 2014 it will be the skins, as thier qb is getting paid peanuts and they don't have any picks that need to get paid.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe so but they'd get a 1st and another top pick. 1st & 3rd maybe a 6th.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    revis can be our very own herschel walker - here's hoping

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe so but they'd get a 1st and another top pick. 1st & 3rd maybe a 6th.
    All depends on the size and type of contract he would require to lock him up. No team is going to give that up without a new deal in hand.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    All depends on the size and type of contract he would require to lock him up. No team is going to give that up without a new deal in hand.
    Correct. Revis holds the cards to where he goes if he's ever traded. No team is trading for Revis and giving up top picks unless Revis is willing to sign his name to an extension. We can agree to a trade but it will be contigent on him signing an extension. So Revis can kill any trade he want's if he doesn't like the team.

We are talking about the best CB in the game and one of if not the best defensive player in the league. Some time will pull the trigger.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 08-16-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I agree with OP, to an extent. Revis the greatest Jet of all time. While Namath will always be the face of this franchise, no player has ever worn the green and white and been as dominant at a position than Revis. Revis may go down as one of the top couple of CB's of all time.

However, if our offense is inept this year, we cannot afford to sink more money into our defense. We needed to find a QB, Rb, WR, TE (if Keller walks) and a RT this past offseason. If we give Revis even more money there will be nothing left to improve the offense. We may have to let Revis go, hope Kyle Wilson can take the next step and use the Revis money to improve our offense. If our Defensive line/LBs/safeties all improve like I think they can, Revis may become somewhat expendable. It would be like the packers spending a ton of money to land Adrian Peterson, sure he is amazing, but would it be worth the money?
    Fixed

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    There are 5 starters on a basketball team. 22 on a football team, and Revis never even touches the ball. There is absolutely no comparison of Revis' worth to that of James. None whatsoever. A QB would be about half as important, since he doesn't play defense, but a CB? absolutely not. I'd say Revis should get paid about half of what an elite QB would get. That would be his value, as the best CB, and one of the top 15 most impactful defensive players. Edge rushers have the edge over CBs.
    Here's the problem:

WE HAVE ZERO PASS RUSH

As long as Mevis knows this he knows he has the Jets by the cojones because he is the only mitigating factor from us not even being able to even look at the passer.

Please God, I hope Quinton Coples is the real deal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

As great as Revis is even a decent starting QB has more of an effect on the outcome of a game than a superstar CB. I know people will disagree with me but that is a fact. A CB can only cover 1 dude unless it's zone and even then a decent qb can find holes in the coverage.

Do the Giants have a CB that is even in Revis's world?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    There are 5 starters on a basketball team. 22 on a football team, and Revis never even touches the ball. There is absolutely no comparison of Revis' worth to that of James. None whatsoever. A QB would be about half as important, since he doesn't play defense, but a CB? absolutely not. I'd say Revis should get paid about half of what an elite QB would get. That would be his value, as the best CB, and one of the top 15 most impactful defensive players. Edge rushers have the edge over CBs.
    Good post ... add the fact that Revis is only lined up with 1 out of 11 guys on the field. A QB can get up to 2-4 options aside from Revis. If a pass rusher gets to him it negates any option he has. Pass Rushers have 2x more of an effect on a game than a CB. If CB's made this much of an impact we'd have rings. Giants have the pass rush .. they have rings.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    best defensive player in the NFL

best football player ever to wear the NY Jet uniform (not counting washed up rentals like Lott or Favre)

HOFer

needs to spend his career as a Jet, retire as a Jet and then head off to Canton

PAY HIM

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The idea that a CB, in today's NFL, is more valuable than a pass rusher is a joke. Many teams have three-to-four good WRs or TEs. If Revis takes away your best receiver, it's really not a big deal. You just throw the ball elsewhere. Also, it should be noted, that in order to maximize his attributes, you have to be in man coverage. A team can't simply play zone everywhere else on the field and leave Revis in man. So you need another CB who is good in man coverage and subsequently end up spending valuable cap money on him, as the Jets have. Sure, you can do some things with combo/hybrid coverages but that's more of a changeup than something that can work consistently.

With a DE or DT who is a great pass-rusher, multiple OL or a RB or TE would have to account for him. This leaves other players on the DL in one-on-one matchups or your best blitz-pickup guy is wasted chipping the pass rusher and you can have your way against an offense with the blitz. There is no comparison. A great pass rusher forces an offense to completely change its protections. A great CB forces a team to throw to it's secondary receivers. With all of the good WRs, TEs, and receiving RBs in the league - if I'm an offensive coach - I'd rather prepare for the latter.